HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-16-2013, 09:28 AM   #1
Tar Heel

Default quality entry-level enclosed trailer?

We just sold our open trailer and would like to buy a nice enclosed trailer new. We tow a C5 which IIRC is about 14' (and 3000 lbs.) so we're looking at a 22' or possibly a 24'. I was originally looking at a Lark trailer sold through Big Tex:

http://www.racingjunk.com/New-Traile...t-to-32ft.html

A 22' with 5200 lb. axles, 15" radial tires and a couple other little extras was just above $5K. However, the more I research it the more I hear that a lot of these inexpensive trailers that come out of Georgia are junk. I haven't seen it myself and don't have experience with one so I can't confirm what I read.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a nice, entry-level solid trailer that will last for a long time and be able to tow anywhere we like assuming we take care of it and perform all the necessary maintenance. I'm not looking to spend $10K and really don't think we need to based on our car weight or how much we travel. I really would like to upgrade it to the heavier axles and 16" wheels but can't seem to find what I want.

Thanks.

Scott
Old 10-16-2013, 09:51 AM   #2
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,678 Times in 850 Posts
Default Re: quality entry-level enclosed trailer?

My next trailer will be a ATC Raven, all alum trailers at 10k are a bargain in my book. The low weight and ATC's build quality make it a worthwhile investment.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:51 PM   #3
Run to Rund

Liked 44 Times in 22 Posts

I decided I was better off paying near 10k to get a Wells Cargo with 2x6" box tubing frame, Dexter 5000 lb. Torflex axles etc. I stayed with the 15" tires and will just replace them every 3-4 years. The 16s raise the center of gravity usually, and if gvw goes over 10k I would need a cdl in many states.

The price of the trailer is secondary to the value of the car and your life (possibly, in the event of an "issue"). I also suggest that resale is much better with a 24' than with shorter trailers, and a good (not necessarily top of the line) unit will keep its value.
Run to Rund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:31 PM   #4
Tar Heel

Yes, I think I agree with you the more I see these $4K trailers ... you get what you pay for and I don't want to put my or my wife's life in jeopardy (or those driving around us), risk the car, or have to be constantly making repairs and patching it together.

So far I've only found an ATC Raven in Missouri new for about $9300 with the big axles. Interior isn't finished which is what we want as we'll do it ourselves to meet our needs. I think that price sounds pretty good. ???
Old 10-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #5
Dave Ribeiro
VIP Member

Liked 56 Times in 27 Posts
Thumbs up Re: quality entry-level enclosed trailer?

Scott,

You can't go wrong with ATC trailers , as Jim says Best Bag for the $$$.
You will also find the resale is very good & they back their product ... I have had & sold several , you won't be Sorry ... That's sounds like a great price for that trailer, light & easy to Tow ... Let me know if I call help ...
Old 10-16-2013, 09:15 PM   #6
Tar Heel

Thank you everyone for the input. After searching the internet I found what we wanted in Cushing, OK:

http://www.rmtrailer.com/detail.aspx...PrefID=0&.aspx

The one in MO was 9 hours away and OK is about 5 for us.

He's racing at the bracket finals this weekend in Ennis so we'll have to go pick it up next weekend. He sold it for less than the asking price so I feel like we got a pretty good deal and a quality trailer that we'll be happy with for years to come. Boy, a 14' car in a 24' trailer will be heaven!

Thanks again.

Last edited by Tar Heel; 10-17-2013 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:09 PM   #7
Pistol Pete
VIP Member

Liked 688 Times in 182 Posts

I do not think you could go wrong with a Haulmark Trailer.

There will be plenty for sale very soon as it's coming near the end of the season.

You should be able to find a Nice Haulmark for $4-5,000.

If you do not see anything on here go to racingjunk.com
Old 10-22-2013, 08:27 PM   #8
cicero819
VIP Member

Liked 67 Times in 29 Posts

Scott, try a Vintage and give a call to Dan Fletcher, maybe you can beat him... down on the price. Claude Ruel
cicero819 is offline   Reply With Quote