HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech

Old 10-11-2014, 01:16 PM   #11
voltdr

Liked 87 Times in 47 Posts
Default Re: Onan Aux Issue

I would leave the jumper to the coil and put an oil pressure gauge in place of the switch to see how much oil pressure you have while its running.
Dan
voltdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 03:45 PM   #12
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

Yes verify that you have oil pressure with a gauge. Onans rarely lose pressure but it is possible.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:34 PM   #13
Painter

Liked 161 Times in 45 Posts

I have seen issues with lite weight/synthetic oils in stationery engines and generators. The conditions these units run in, closed compartments limited air flow, long periods of use seem to really like a heavier oil. I prefer a high quality 20w50.
Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:26 AM   #14
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Onan's Onamax oil is 15-40 and they recommend it for all their machines. It gets very thick after running for longer than it should in the newer machines. 150 hours or less is a recommended oil change interval. Older Onan's like this one had a very hd bottom end and oil pump. Pressure loss on one of those was not common and they had 30-40 lbs of oil pressure at 1800 rpm
Old 10-12-2014, 08:29 AM   #15
Davey Summa

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I run valvoline 10w-40 fully synthetic in it.
Davey Summa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:53 AM   #16
Painter

Liked 161 Times in 45 Posts

I have seen this cause the problem. Although the fully synthetic oil does provide proper lube for the engine, by the time the low oil switch sees the pressure it doesn't like it and errs on the side of caution. I have had to do more than a few oil changes to prove this to boat owners that were trying to get better fuel economy out of their marine gensets. Easy enough to see if this may be your problem. Also a different low oil switch make like what it sees better than the one that is on it now.
Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 05:43 PM   #17
Davey Summa

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

When I went to the local onan place the switch I asked for was 309-0322 even though the individual behind the counter seemed to think that another switch was the one I needed.
(She showed me that two were listed but my series should have the other)The only thing was the switch she thought I needed required a different plug end. It was also three times the price for some reason. The wiring on my unit showed no sign of ever being changed from original so I went with the one that matched my wiring end. I hate to spend more money on another switch if isn't really the problem...but I just may. I guess I could drain the brand new synthetic oil and put in 20w-50 petro based.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:50 PM   #18
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Did you install a pressure gauge in place of the switch to verify the pressure is good?

Oil weight should really not be an issue here but the pressure needs to be confirmed as good with a mechanical gauge.

The proper switch is a must......but if the pressure is low it may be your problem.

Obviously lower weight oil will have an effect on pressure as will temperature. I seriously doubt the issue is the oil your using.

The parts manual shows a single terminal switch and it is mounted in a 90 degree fitting.

Part number is 309-0319 and is also shown in the price guide as a good number and list price is $12....

Yes your machine has a run relay and a resistor that is part of this circuit. The oil pressure switch closes to ground when pressure builds up. 30lbs is the proper minimum pressure.

I cannot cut and past the page on testing this control circuity for you from the Servcice Manual and don't have a paper copy to be able to print out...Those old machines used a lot of old type circuitry....and once you verify the pressure is good you can move on to the wiring and find the relay and resistor....

If it is one wire it can only do one thing.....close the wire to ground and open it to ground. That generally means it controls something else......a relay.....since it cannot directly supply the 12+ needed for the coil......

Last edited by Rich Biebel; 10-13-2014 at 07:15 PM.
Rich Biebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:19 PM   #19
Davey Summa

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I will check the pressure with a gauge this week. My oil pressure switch is the correct one then. 309-0322 replaced the 309-0309 and 309-0319.

I exposed the switch panel and it looks very simple. very small board and two relays.