HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech

Old 10-02-2013, 09:34 PM   #1
John Kissel

Liked 232 Times in 94 Posts
Default GMC frame rust

I have a '99 (old style) Suburban and the liquid deeicer that gets sprayed on the roads where I live right now is killing my frame. I went to spray oil on my frame today and just got sick. I am looking for suggestions for something I can spray on the frame that can save my frame.Thanks to one and all for your help, John Kissel K242
John Kissel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:40 PM   #2
Ronnie Smith Jr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: GMC frame rust

I'll watch this post with interest. I have a 97 GMC Suburban and had to have the brake lines replaced because of the rust. My frame seems to be ok, but now I am wondering. I'll have to crawl underneath and do a more detailed inspection.
Ronnie Smith Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:05 PM   #3
Steve Stickel

Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts

John,
Plan on changing the frame with a good used one from another climate.
I faced the same dilemma 2 years ago (2011), 97 GMC 4X4 suburban I ordered new (35k) w/ all the options except 2 tone paint. Driven only 38,500 miles, body / interior perfect, under the truck, solid rust. truck was garaged 50% of the time....called and wrote GM ..nothing they could / would do....what a shame, sold it for $1500 for parts...
Summer of 2012, I have a 2000 Toyota Tundra V6 work truck I've had for years and won't give up on, at 250,000 miles breaks a gas tank strap. Strap is warranted for 15 yrs from Toyota. Truck goes to dealer for replacement. Dealer calls saying they found rust through on a section of frame. NO PROBLEM !! They pay for a rental, 5 weeks later, New Complete Frame, New lower A frames, New ball joints, New fuel lines, new brake lines, 2 new rear shocks, spare tire winch , Rebuilt front caliper, A/c charge and alignment. NO Charge !! all I paid for was some freon and fluid.. Just turned 272,000 today....lol
Moral of the Story....Toyota had a rust problem, recognized it and offered a solution with their truck frames, either replacing the frame or buying the entire vehicle back at 1.5 NADA from the owners.
GM on the other hand, sticks their head in the sand, and disappoints loyal US brand customers who may never come back.... Is this the new "Heartbeat of America" ?
Steve Stickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:04 AM   #4
L78 Nova

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts

I believe Toyota's reaction to the rust problem was resultant from a class action suit... Apparently in Canada they still "buy back" these trucks at market value (if you happen to know about the program).
L78 Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:07 AM   #5
Run to Rund

Liked 44 Times in 22 Posts

Heartbreak of America?"
The solution is to buy a new truck and move to the desert southwest.
Run to Rund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:48 PM   #6
Dennis P Chapman
VIP Member

Liked 52 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Smith Jr View Post
I'll watch this post with interest. I have a 97 GMC Suburban and had to have the brake lines replaced because of the rust. My frame seems to be ok, but now I am wondering. I'll have to crawl underneath and do a more detailed inspection.
I have 1997 3500 pickup had to replace all the lines also frame still looks good.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:20 AM   #7
Michael Kilduff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

POR-15 will do a good job in arresting the rust. I used it as a rust preventer on an old camaro that has sat outdoors for 6-7 years and hasn't rusted even a bit.

For a large area like the frame (I would do the floors too) you will want to clean it the best you can and have a body/paint shop spray the whole underneath. If you do it yourself-and POR-15 isn't all that expensive- take precautions as I think it is very toxic, so I was told when I used it.