HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-25-2008, 03:28 PM   #1
Nova4301

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Lightweight wheels

I have been trying the compare wheel weights before I buy. I can find just a couple weights as they are listed in jegs and summit, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a place to find weights for many different brands (i.e. centerlines, bogart, american racing, weld racing, etc.). Generally, I am looking for 15x3 1/2 or 15x4 front wheels and 15X8 or 15X10 back wheels (5 lug). I have draglites now (15x8 and 15x 31/2, I am not even sure on how much they weigh) and I was looking to get rid of some weight.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:58 PM   #2
Darrin Christen

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Smile Re: Lightweight wheels

When I switched from Weld Draglites 3 1/2" front wheels to there Weld Magnum Drag 2.0 one piece 3 1/2" wheels The difference was 7 lbs. lighter per wheel and tire. I weighed the old ones with good year 25" tall tires and the new ones with hoosier 26" tall tires. My wallet was also alot lighter! lol Darrin Christen 4878SST
Old 11-25-2008, 05:00 PM   #3
Nova4301

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Lightweight wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin Christen View Post
When I switched from Weld Draglites 3 1/2" front wheels to there Weld Magnum Drag 2.0 one piece 3 1/2" wheels The difference was 7 lbs. lighter per wheel and tire. I weighed the old ones with good year 25" tall tires and the new ones with hoosier 26" tall tires. My wallet was also alot lighter! lol Darrin Christen 4878SST
I appreciate the info Darrin. I believe I remember having some close races with you a few years back in super street (could have gone either way kind of racing). Anyhow, I am probably either going with those welds or the new Pro-5 M/T fronts. I wish M/T made 15x8 or 15x10, but all they have is 16X16 for the rears...I guess I could always order one and cut it in half.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:12 PM   #4
Myron Piatek
VIP Member

Liked 132 Times in 48 Posts
Post Re: Lightweight wheels

Your best bet would be to call the manufacturers. But remember that you start compromising strength with some super lightweight wheels. I recall a center breaking out of a wheel when a car turned a corner past the ticket booth at Norwalk years ago (Rink/GTO/Nova???) and an early Camaro leaking air in the staging lanes at Dinwiddie from a stress crack.

Holeshot Wheels has a wide variety of styles which are pretty light and with custom offsets. They have also started producing lighter one piece billet fronts which will eventually be available in all of their styles. But you'll need to call for specific weights.
www.holeshotwheels.com
Old 11-25-2008, 06:27 PM   #5
Dave Turner
VIP Member

Liked 334 Times in 132 Posts
Default Re: Lightweight wheels

Myron, what is the history behind Holeshot wheels? Just curious as I had never heard of them until seeing the product on your car - and I work in the aftermarket trade. (Not sure what that says about anything but I have not run into them at trade shows etc.)
Dave Turner #1153
Dave Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 07:24 PM   #6
Darrin Christen

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thumbs up Re: Lightweight wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova4301 View Post
I appreciate the info Darrin. I believe I remember having some close races with you a few years back in super street (could have gone either way kind of racing). Anyhow, I am probably either going with those welds or the new Pro-5 M/T fronts. I wish M/T made 15x8 or 15x10, but all they have is 16X16 for the rears...I guess I could always order one and cut it in half.
You raced a white corvette with the black nose and wheels, how could I forget! You and your brother Jeremy were always on the number. I seem to rember losing a close one to you at Noble in the late rounds a few years back. Are you guys still running SST?

Last edited by Darrin Christen; 11-25-2008 at 09:49 PM.
Darrin Christen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 07:47 PM   #7
Myron Piatek
VIP Member

Post Re: Lightweight wheels

Dave,
They also go under World Class Machine just north of Daytona Beach, FL. It's a CNC machine shop whos owner is also a car enthusiast that origianlly decided to do wheels on the side. I hooked up with them in 1995 but I'm not clear on the history before then. It is a small wheel business when compared to the "name" brands, but word of mouth, deals with chassis builders, dealers like Harlow Tire, my efforts & others have kept them busy enough to not need much more regular advertising in the past. They have been doing more advertising lately with a few ads in National Dragster in the last few years, been attending some car shows and races, been at the PRI show in Orlando for the last 2 years and will be there again in a couple of weeks. By not getting too big, too fast, they can concentrate more on customer service, quality and do more custom applications & offsets.

I've always liked to describe their products as a good balance of weight, strength and price. But they are constantly looking to reduce weight without compromises and have been getting SFI certifications. Their one piece forged front wheels (not sure if "billet" was accurate in my earlier post) is their latest effort to save weight. But their original 3-piece design, still pretty light, also offer the options of offset changes, damaged section replacement, etc. instead of having to buy a whole new wheel.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:46 PM   #8
Dave Turner
VIP Member

Liked 334 Times in 132 Posts
Red face Re: Lightweight wheels

Thanks for the background on Holeshot Myron. I don't know how I missed them at PRI. I've been at all of the Orlando shows.
Dave Turner #1153
Dave Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:02 PM   #9
Myron Piatek
VIP Member

Wink Re: Lightweight wheels

lol
As big as that place is, it's easy to miss a few displays. They were way in the back the first time and are slowly moving up. I wish I had time than just Saturday to spend there.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:34 AM   #10
greg fulk
VIP Member

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Question Re: Lightweight wheels

When I took the Center-line Convo-pros off my car last spring & put the M/T wheels on it I took 6lbs off the front of the car....( i was thinking it was 6lbs a wheel but that sounds like to much). I went from Hoosier 28 front runners to M/T 27.5 also.