HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-15-2008, 11:43 PM   #1
dahkahuna

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default AA/SA requirements?

thinking of running my A/SA in AA/SA class I have heard alot of differint rules talked about what the class needs .to be rule and safety ready.This is what I have read in the rule book (2009) rollcage SFI not required, window-net, fullface helmet,and a competion licence(if we run quicker than 9.99) . If anyone has heard any differint or has went thru tech and was required more please let me know .....thanks Doug
dahkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:00 AM   #2
Ken Miele
Live Reporter

Liked 14,928 Times in 1,378 Posts
Default Re: AA/SA requirements?

Doug,

You will also need a 3.2A/5 Jacket if your 9.99 and quicker, pants are also required although the SFI spec has not been listed. The roll cage must be certified if your running 9.99 and quicker.
Ken Miele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:43 PM   #3
dahkahuna

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Ken. the rules state that any open body car running quicker than 9.99 require a SFI cert. and that any full body car require a SFI cert only if it is 8.49 or quicker, so that is my confusion is NHRA actually asking you for the SFI or were you just assuming from a word around the pit. I called nhra and was told to have a competition license for (class 4 ) 7.50 to 9.99. Helmet full face and Jacket&pants,and window net,The SFI based on the rule book isn't required and the rollcage even in Super/Stock doesn't require a SFI cert unless your 8.49 or quicker.What do you think?
dahkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:25 PM   #4
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,218 Times in 313 Posts

You need a roll cage, and it needs to be certified. You also need a transmission shield and a flexplate shield. In addition to what was already mentioned.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:57 PM   #5
Ken Miele
Live Reporter

Doug,

In order for me to run 9.99 and quicker I had to have my cage certified. It has been certified for 8.50 and slower. They did not require me to run a trans shield or flex plate shield as Alan stated. I know its confusing, but as I understand it, if you are running 9.99 and quicker you need a cage and it has to be certified.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:54 AM   #6
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,218 Times in 313 Posts

There's a lot of confusion out there, several people have been told different tales. I know we were told we had to have the certified cage (we already had it) a full face helmet, the jacket, the pants, and a transmission and flexplate shield. For the most part, it has to be the same as a 9.99 or quicker Super Stock car. And you have to have the license. Others were told if you did not break the 10.0 barrier, you didn't have to have any of it, despite the record being well under 9.99. And some were told you had to have the cage, the helmet, and the clothes.

I can remember a time when it was a lot simpler. You had to have the safety equipment required under "General Regulations" for the ET and MPH of the record for your class. Now it depends on who you talk to, when, and where you race.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:51 AM   #7
Chad Rhodes
VIP Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Roehrich View Post
There's a lot of confusion out there, several people have been told different tales. I know we were told we had to have the certified cage (we already had it) a full face helmet, the jacket, the pants, and a transmission and flexplate shield. For the most part, it has to be the same as a 9.99 or quicker Super Stock car. And you have to have the license. Others were told if you did not break the 10.0 barrier, you didn't have to have any of it, despite the record being well under 9.99. And some were told you had to have the cage, the helmet, and the clothes.

I can remember a time when it was a lot simpler. You had to have the safety equipment required under "General Regulations" for the ET and MPH of the record for your class. Now it depends on who you talk to, when, and where you race.
Ain't that the truth Alan. We've been told so many different things its not funny.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:02 AM   #8
Ken Miele
Live Reporter

Alan, Chad,

When I tech in, I was never asked about trans shield or flex shield. Only cage, jacket and helmet. It might be that some AA cars do not run in the nines so they don't bother, who knows. I know somewhere in the general regulations its says that stock and super stock may have there own requirements. That's not the exact words, but it was something like that.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:07 AM   #9
Stewart Way

Liked 71 Times in 22 Posts

On the cage issue there seems to be some confusion on SFI Spec and NHRA Cert. There is no SFI Certification. They have a spec for full body cages for non tube chassis cars. Think 25.2 is 7.49 and quicker and 25.5 is 7.50 to 8 49. For 9.99 to 8.50 it is the NHRA spec that is in the rulebook. SFI does not sell a spec for the 9.99 to 8.50 cage. You can order the others from their website for $35 each. NHRA will certify all 3 cages and apply a sticker to the car. The stockers and super stockers between 9.99 and 8.50 (AA/SA if quicker than 9.99) need only have the cage outlined in the rulebook. Quicker than 8.50, like some SS/AH cars and the cage needs to be up graded to a SFI 25.5 and recertified.
Stewart Way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:15 AM   #10
Ken Miele
Live Reporter

Stewart, you are correct. I just assumed Doug new this.