HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-25-2008, 07:12 PM   #1
etracr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking Front Suspension help

Hey guys,
I Race a 68 Camaro in brackets/SST and am slowly going to get the car ready for stock.

I want to get my suspension perfect. Right now the car is a BBC iron head, all steel with fiberglass hood. weighs 3400 lbs. car runs 10.20-40 with a 1.43-5 sixty foot. the front suspension is:

Lakewood 90/10
MOROSO small block trick springs no coils cut
stock ball joints
AFCO control arm bushings

The car is loose in the front end and i can lift it to full extention no problem but i only have 3.5in of suspension travel. I think the springs and bushings are fine but right now am mainly looking into a good set of shocks.

The three shocks i am looking at are the Koni SPA`s, the QA1`s and AFCO`s. Now i know the afcos are the top of the line, however are they really needed? I have heard going to anyone of those shocks will be a night and day difference. I am 21 years old so the Afco`s are going to be a large purchase, However if they are worth the money i have no problem spending it. I just want good weight transfer and also would like to get the wheels in the air a little more :-)

Also, i have heard of the Alf Weibe? extended ball joints? and the anti dive shafts from a few people. Will these help at all?

I am open to all ideas and help and if you can sugest part numbers or supply phone numbers that would be great!! Thanks in advance guys!!
etracr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:52 PM   #2
mannymen

Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Default Re: Front Suspension help

The new dbl adjustable AFCO's will require that you grind the LCA's. Welding will most likely be involved so that you can reposition the lower shock mounting holes. If someone is doing the work for you it will cost you around $1200-1300 for the LCA modification and the shocks together.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:08 PM   #3
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,218 Times in 313 Posts

That is correct, the AFCO shocks require major surgery on the lower control arms, including fabricating adapter brackets. That said, they work well. But you can probably make the QA1 shocks work.

You should get the longer upper ball joints, and look into the Global West control arm bushings.

At the rear, for a leaf spring car, there's no substitute for John Calvert's CalTracs system.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:24 PM   #4
Bob Pagano
VIP Member

Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts

QA 1 also has new item in their rebuildable upper ball joint, they are interchangeable length ball stud and low friction also. $49 each
Old 06-26-2008, 01:26 AM   #5
Geerhead55
VIP Member

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Wink Re: Front Suspension help

Cal-Tracs has recently introduced front shocks of their own. You may want to check into these. I'm sure someone on here can give you some feedback on them.
Danny Durham
Geerhead55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 08:23 PM   #6
etracr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the replys guy i really appreciate it!!

So i think i am looking into the QA1 double adjustable shocks. I think a good shock will help me greatly, anyone know of anywhere with good prices on them? I saw the new add for the Caltrac shocks but heard no feed back about them and for the price of 50 something dollars was wondering if i would be gaining anything over my current shocks?

As for the ball joints those QA1`s look very neat! However I was talking to a stocker friend of mine who said he purchased the Howe? ball joints and said they were around 120 a piece. He was saying to install the ball joints you need the different cross shaft which he got from Weibe but said that global west also has them and they might work. How long of a ball joint would work? 1 inch, 1.5, 2? not sure which to go with.

I have the CalTracs in the rear with the split mono`s and the rancho shocks, and have been running a 30X9 Hoosier radial. the car has been hooking great all year but last week when the track was hot i had to adjust the rear shocks up to 7 cause the car was unloading the tire after it initiallty hooked. Im hoping getting the front suspension working correctly will help the car out alot.

Thanks again guys and any suggestions or comments on the entire front i am open to all comments. thanks alot!!!

-Scotty Hakucsa-
Old 06-27-2008, 12:08 AM   #7
DIC GEARY

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Smile Re: Front Suspension help

etracr;
I have had the new caltrac ft. shocks on my camaro all season and love em...they seperate lighting fast and land like a pillow. they are also designed to allow the car to settle at the top end...those are the things I was looking for. I replaced my hi dollar shocks with caltracs and they gave me what I wanted...Buy em... You will love em....good luck.
DIC GEARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 02:11 PM   #8
NovaMan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pagano View Post
QA 1 also has new item in their rebuildable upper ball joint, they are interchangeable length ball stud and low friction also. $49 each
What's the available range of ball stud lengths, and how do you get a non-stock length?
Old 06-27-2008, 04:26 PM   #9
Bob Pagano
VIP Member

Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts

Call QA-1 952-985-5675 and they are $44.95 not 49 as I posted before
Old 06-28-2008, 05:43 PM   #10
etracr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks again guys!

Ok so i have decided i am going to go with the QA-1 Stocker Star "R" Front shock. I was teetering on the calvert shocks but i like the adjustability of these. I was going to spring for the double adjustable but at 290 a piece i think i will be fine with the single adjustables unless someone feels it will be worth the extra money? Im hoping they will fit without problems and i think it will help me learn how to dial in a suspension better. Anyone that runs them have any feedback? the part number in jegs is 122-RC1914P just making sure i order the right one.

I took my old shocks out last night to see if i had too short of a shock in the car, when i took the shock out i found i still only have 3 3/4 inch of front end travel then the UCA bottoms out on the frame. Im assuming the only way to gain more is to put in those ball joints? Im assuming a 1 inch taller on the top or .5 top and .5 bottom? or do i go with 1 inch on top and bottom and give myself more travel? And to the people that have run the taller joints did you NEED to change the cross shaft right away or is it just a good idea? thanks again guys really appreciate it.