HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-02-2020, 01:35 PM   #1
baker3nine6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default T&D stocker rocker arms big block chevy

I’m looking for suggestions, I have the pedestal style rocker arms on my big block stocker. I can’t seem to get them to stay adjusted, they keep loosening up. I changed pushrods so that the adjuster only turns about 1 turn for proper lash. I’m using smith lifters with valve spring open pressure around 400.
I’m looking for some ideas other than change hobbies
baker3nine6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 03:04 PM   #2
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts
Default Re: T&D stocker rocker arms big block chevy

I run a Ford 302 with N351 short track heads. They have intake valves that are offset by 0.15 and I had a devil of a time keeping things aligned with individual stud mount rockers intended for these heads, so I know what you are talking about. I even broke several Scorpion offset rockers. I finally caved in and went with a rail rocker system designed for offset intake heads (N351 in my case). I looked at T&D but went with Jesel.

I don't know if this is applicable to a stocker by the rules, but the switch to a Jesel/T&D style system kept everything in line and adjusted. For my offset intake heads I had to use offset lifters as well.

I have run PAC 1427 BBC conical stocker springs at 200/500 and PAC 1225 duals at 250/700.
Old 02-02-2020, 04:25 PM   #3
gsa612

Liked 280 Times in 139 Posts

Before we get too far,I looked at the TD site.Do you have the 16 individual stands that mount over the rocker stud bosses and are held down by a 7/16 NC bolt,thus eliminating the rocker stud?.By doing that you have converted it to a shaft rocker which may not be legal.Maybe someone here can chime in.Also I'm assuming you have a solid lifter BBC stocker,with the cam profiles for that combo your going to need well north of 450 open pressure.If the cam is hyd.400 open is in the ballpark with a ceramic lifter.About the valves loosening off,I don't know how your adjusting the valves. If it looses a lot after adjustment I would check if the cam lobes are not wiped...gsa612
gsa612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 06:41 PM   #4
FireSale
VIP Member

The stocker rules say rockers must retain original configuration and aftermarket rockers are permitted. The Jesels are shaft conversions but the T&D set for 396 Chevy OEM heads look like pedestal replacements. Each rocker is bolted to the head separate, but secured by two bolts so they won't wander. Kind of a rulebook grey area that could bite you. Send a part number and pic to tech to get a ruling.

EDIT: I looked up a Winners List on the T&D site and two stockers were on the list. I was able to find a photo of Jacob Pitt's Dart from his wins in Dallas and Houston 2018 and the car does have a T&D sticker. C/SA It's a MOPAR, but there is a stocker with this brand of rocker.

Last edited by FireSale; 02-02-2020 at 07:14 PM.
FireSale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 07:51 PM   #5
mnmaxwedge

Liked 104 Times in 34 Posts

The Mopars have OE shaft rockers so a replacement could also be a shaft.
mnmaxwedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 02-02-2020, 08:00 PM   #6
gsa612

Liked 280 Times in 139 Posts

3nine6,is this what you have?...gsa612
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3040-768x535.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	53683  
gsa612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 09:12 PM   #7
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,035 Times in 271 Posts

If the adjusters keep backing off, then there's something seriously unhappy in your valve train.

Have you looked at your valvetrain for signs of valve float or other problems?

First, most big blocks are running 250# on the seat or more and 525# open. They're also running 7/16" x 0.165" wall pushrods. When we got ours to that level, our valvetrain issues ended. We're running the Comp 1/2" rocker stud stainless rockers that Tim Cole and I worked together on.

Now, some people are running beehive springs, or other conicals, less pressure, and maybe lighter/smaller pushrods. Might work for them, but I am not thrilled.

I asked Larry at T&D about these just this winter at PRI, but haven't run them. I like the idea. Jesel has them, and I want to submit Yella Terra rockers, they have a similar rocker set. Who set yours up?
Liked
Old 02-02-2020, 10:07 PM   #8
Alan Nyhus
VIP Member

Liked 762 Times in 226 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireSale View Post
The stocker rules say rockers must retain original configuration and aftermarket rockers are permitted. The Jesels are shaft conversions but the T&D set for 396 Chevy OEM heads look like pedestal replacements. Each rocker is bolted to the head separate, but secured by two bolts so they won't wander. Kind of a rulebook grey area that could bite you. Send a part number and pic to tech to get a ruling.
Jesel's are not all shaft systems. They make a stud rocker setup for BBC's that is legal for Stockers.

https://www.jesel.com/premium-stud-rockers
Old 02-02-2020, 10:52 PM   #9
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,035 Times in 271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Nyhus View Post
Jesel's are not all shaft systems. They make a stud rocker setup for BBC's that is legal for Stockers.

Well, it uses a stud, but it actually bolts the trunion shaft of the rocker down to a saddle. It AND the T&D are both absolutely legal, and the best solution. Yella Terra makes a set as well, They're excellent, and they should also be legal.

I spoke to Billy Godbold at Comp, and he's going to get ARP to make a better stud for the Comp 1/2" stud rocker set up, as BOTH ends are considerably shorter than required.
Liked
Old 02-03-2020, 02:54 AM   #10
FireSale
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Nyhus View Post

I thought I saw that last year but couldn't find it when I was looking for answers for this question,

The T&D solution looks nice. A base bolts to the rocker stand and an individual shaft rocker bolts to the stand in two places. No wiggle and the adjuster is at the cup. All of these better mousetraps are north of $1200, but Jesels solved the valve train problems in my N head 302.