HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 10-23-2019, 10:49 PM   #11
tuffxf

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Drag radial life/ max passes ?

G,day Tex,
Thanks very much for that!
Am using the 18170 bias slick, would like to try a radial at some point maybe, the slick probably grows more than the radial, that one would probably be close to the same at speed?
Good luck with it.
Cheers
Paul
tuffxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 10:00 PM   #12
MEXJOE

Liked 151 Times in 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny5160 View Post
I run the Hoosier 30 x 9 C07 radial on a car that performs almost exactly the same as yours, and I get 150-200 runs from them. I also have a 10" rim and run 17 psi.

I do a very short burnout with no line lock and the tires perform great through their entire life.
You should never run a radial lower than 18 psi. You run the risk of the tire balling up and running over the top of it’s self, I learned that the hard way.
Old 10-26-2019, 01:43 PM   #13
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

I tested Hoosier, Goodyear, and Mickey Thompson 13” radials during a track rental on my SS/JA Firebird. Same day, same lane, all within about an hour. Had been running Hoosier. I bought more rear wheels, so I could mount them all at once. All new tires. 2 Baseline runs with the Hoosiers. Next, I put the MTs on. Hit harder when I let go of the button. As far as we could tell the Hoosiers were “dead hooking”. Certainly had a different feel. MT was a solid tenth, almost a MPH faster. My reaction times were faster too. Hoosier back on, slowed back down.
Put the Goodyears on, felt like it hit harder again. All incremental times slowed. MTs back on, all picked back up. They still hook when cord starts to show. Never had them seem to “go away”.
Told myself “probably will wear out faster”. Nope. I run them on 14” wide wheels, 21 to 24 psi. Don’t need a big burnout. I run them until wear holes have been gone for a couple of races. If I Don’t test a lot, and don’t run many out of division races, they last all season.
I found wheels one inch wider than the tread area, and 21 to 24 psi air to be quickest on my car. I just vary the air to adjust my lights. Always hooks. No prep, no problem. I last raced in 2017, probably need to buy tires if I get to race any this year. And, seat belts. LOL

Last edited by Ed Wright; 10-26-2019 at 01:51 PM.
Ed Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 04:14 AM   #14
Tex013

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Thanks Ed ,
This will be my first go around with these particular Hoosier . As noted here in Oz there is limited choice .
Best sixty is 1.42 . Though my Plymouth is kind of similar suspension and hp i certainly dont have the gearing most of you St/SSt racers do . And the extra 100lb of World block doesnt help .
There is no t&t days till the 15th Nov , will see how it goes then . Weather is heating up .
I will have to try highed psi for sure
Thanks again for all the i put

Tex
Tex013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 12:20 PM   #15
Lenny5160

Liked 432 Times in 225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEXJOE View Post
You should never run a radial lower than 18 psi. You run the risk of the tire balling up and running over the top of it’s self, I learned that the hard way.
I've run everything from 16-26 psi and saw zero difference in performance. I'm just trying to get the tire to wear evenly.

Even at 17, I still wear the centers out first but I really don't want to run less. I've been using 17 for at least 3 seasons and haven't seen any ill effects, although I usually only check them before the first and second passes so I may end up closer to 18 by the end of the day.
Old 10-28-2019, 04:35 PM   #16
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Might try wider wheels, Tony.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:49 AM   #17
Darrin Christen

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
I tested Hoosier, Goodyear, and Mickey Thompson 13” radials during a track rental on my SS/JA Firebird. Same day, same lane, all within about an hour. Had been running Hoosier. I bought more rear wheels, so I could mount them all at once. All new tires. 2 Baseline runs with the Hoosiers. Next, I put the MTs on. Hit harder when I let go of the button. As far as we could tell the Hoosiers were “dead hooking”. Certainly had a different feel. MT was a solid tenth, almost a MPH faster. My reaction times were faster too. Hoosier back on, slowed back down.
Put the Goodyears on, felt like it hit harder again. All incremental times slowed. MTs back on, all picked back up. They still hook when cord starts to show. Never had them seem to “go away”.
Told myself “probably will wear out faster”. Nope. I run them on 14” wide wheels, 21 to 24 psi. Don’t need a big burnout. I run them until wear holes have been gone for a couple of races. If I Don’t test a lot, and don’t run many out of division races, they last all season.
I found wheels one inch wider than the tread area, and 21 to 24 psi air to be quickest on my car. I just vary the air to adjust my lights. Always hooks. No prep, no problem. I last raced in 2017, probably need to buy tires if I get to race any this year. And, seat belts. LOL
Ed, did these tires all have the same rollout?
Old 10-29-2019, 11:54 AM   #18
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,636 Times in 506 Posts

I run 13.5 x31.5 Hoosiers radials on my car and have for quite a few years. I get well over 100 runs on a set. I run between 12 and 14 lbs air pressure. If I go higher they seem to wobble more. After what Ed Weight said I might have to try a set of MT’s next. I ran a worn out set with almost no holes at Rockingham a couple of weeks ago and they worked perfect when some were complaining about traction. My short times were almost the same every round.
Old 10-30-2019, 04:20 AM   #19
Tex013

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Pearson View Post
I run 13.5 x31.5 Hoosiers radials on my car and have for quite a few years. I get well over 100 runs on a set. I run between 12 and 14 lbs air pressure. If I go higher they seem to wobble more. After what Ed Weight said I might have to try a set of MT’s next. I ran a worn out set with almost no holes at Rockingham a couple of weeks ago and they worked perfect when some were complaining about traction. My short times were almost the same every round.
Mike ,
I could never get something that tall under my car . Had to shim diff back 1/4" just to get 30s in there .

Tex
Tex013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 11:06 AM   #20
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Yes, Darren, same rollout. Different size tires would not be a valid test.