HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Garage Tech

Old 11-03-2019, 09:54 AM   #1
Ed McLawhorn Jr.

Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Default Shop doors

Getting ready to build new 50x45 shop with room for motorhome. Anybody put in 2-shop doors so you could drive straight thru without having to back into shop? I assuming the best use of space would be to install doors on the eve side and not the gable end? In addition to rv, there will be 2-race cars and a pick up. Thanks.
Ed McLawhorn Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 11:48 AM   #2
340Cuda
VIP Member

Liked 675 Times in 289 Posts
Default Re: Shop doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed McLawhorn Jr. View Post
Getting ready to build new 50x45 shop with room for motorhome. Anybody put in 2-shop doors so you could drive straight thru without having to back into shop? I assuming the best use of space would be to install doors on the eve side and not the gable end? In addition to rv, there will be 2-race cars and a pick up. Thanks.
No experience personally but I think a lot of folks have done that. I think the bigger issue is enough space to line up and or turn around on each side. For example if I built a shop the front door would be no problem, the rear door would have no way off the land.
340Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:26 PM   #3
Kenney Kelley

Liked 71 Times in 35 Posts

Having a large front door and the same size door in the back of the shop is nice for two reasons one is you can pull thru without having to back your motorhome and trailer into the shop and the other is you can open both doors and get a cross wind or breeze when you are out in the shop working on your stuff. I have 2 Large roll up doors in the front of my shop the one on the right side of the shop is the pull thru bay the other side is where my 4 post lift is. Even with the lift there I can still park a 4 door truck in the bay also. By the way I bought the lift from RTD Aaron Allison. One last thing make sure you make the shop tall enough for a tall motor home or toterhome.
Kenney Kelley
Kenney Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 09:07 PM   #4
Les6422

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a 36x40 shop with three 10x15 doors. the doors are on gable end. two doors on one end with rear door on back end for drive thru.
Les6422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 03:19 PM   #5
DaleH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I built a building with three doors on the gable facing the garage attached to the house. When you pull into the driveway the shop is on the right, house on the left. I have enough room to swing wide right and pull up to the house garage. We unload the motor home clothes etc. Then I back into the building. I also have a door on the back of the building. I have enough room to pull through but driving to the house to unload is nice. The rear door is still very nice for unloading race car out back.
Lastly I always open the back door to provide light for backing in. If you keep it closed its really difficult to see the rear 75ft away in the dark even with lights on.

Sorry didnt see this post earlier.

Dale
DaleH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 07:01 PM   #6
cmracing

Liked 62 Times in 29 Posts

I am in the midst of getting a permit to allow me to put up a 40x60 shop. I want to put two large doors next to each other towards one end and two smaller doors towards the other end. I was thinking 12x12 for the two larger enclosed trailers I have, then two 10x12 for my smaller trailer and cars/trucks. One of my trailers is 1 foot taller than normal, the other is 6 inches taller than normal. The taller trailer is about 10 feet tall therefore the 12 foot door and a 14 foot ceiling.

A friend of mine did a 40x40 with a huge door so he can get his RV inside, I think he did a 14 foot door, and a 16 foot ceiling. He has three doors across the front of his shop, I will have four.
cmracing is offline   Reply With Quote