Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing

Old 07-01-2008, 07:07 PM   #1
crewchiefpro

Default An Idiots Guide to Super Class Racing

Check these morons out:

http://forum.competitionplus.com/sho...?t=2983&page=1

and my response at the bottom of this page:
http://forum.competitionplus.com/sho...?t=2983&page=5

I love idiots... They make life more enjoyable for the rest of us.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:09 PM   #2
Ted Barnes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: An Idiots Guide to Super Class Racing

People ARE interesting - that's for sure. I've raced for alot of years. What most of those guys don't get is that some of us...

a) don't want to race in the same class for 20 years - that's why we move into and out of .90 classes
b) don't have a large budget to spend

Actually - I got the impression that most of them don't understand super class racing. It didn't cost me alot of money to switch to it.....And... I haven't yet found a throttle stop that will make my car run dead on the number without me having to provide some sort of input!
Old 07-01-2008, 10:17 PM   #3
Bob Verwold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Guess you have to run super classes to enjoy it !!!!!!!!!!! I certainly wouldn't trade it for bracket racing, running dragsters all night. Even tho they go on the trailer the same as door cars...................
Bob Verwold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:35 PM   #4
MUSTANG3637

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Now that was funny. They have no idea how tough it really is. A litttle easier with crewchief 7.0. Hey don that program almost made my car drive itself.

Jeff d.
MUSTANG3637 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:17 AM   #5
crewchiefpro

Thanks Jeff.

For a car that looks like you can drive it anywhere on the street it sure is one bad hot rod.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:28 AM   #6
Tim Irwin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Remember, they are just young kids setting in front of their monitors, in their underwear, in their mom's basement with nothing better to do.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:46 AM   #7
H.A.A.C. Racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Are there people that totally understand bracket racing but don't get the .90 classes?
People it the stands that don't like us are the people that want to see heads up racing, well the brackets are no better. How many time have we heard someone say "you lost because you went to fast?" That will happen in .90 or brackets. Bottom line is if you don't have unlimited money, there has to be some kind of handicap racing. I don't think it would make spectators any happier seeing us die on the line or hit the brakes at the end (or both) either way their (most people) not going to understand what's going on unless it is explained a lot better.
H.A.A.C. Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:01 AM   #8
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

Predicted lap making is the term I like to use. It fits all sportsman classes and all bracket racing. Fixed index or dial your own, it's the same thing. Throttle stop racing is great and so is bracket racing.....I prefer a Pro Tree, but I also prefer racing wide open.....the .90 classes are way overdue for some rules changes or index changes. Speed up the indexes or put a mph limit in place. The proliferation of 1000hp engines is what has made the .90 classes so unattractive to many people. They have to shut down way more than a 700hp engine to run the same index. If you strapped any one of the people that say these derogatory things in a 8.90/175+mph dragster and let them race it.....they'd change their tune......and say wow that was pretty good......when can I run again?....
Old 07-02-2008, 12:33 PM   #9
Jason Oldfield

Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jason Oldfield Send a message via MSN to Jason Oldfield Send a message via Yahoo to Jason Oldfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Biebel View Post
or put a mph limit in place
Better watch it there Rich...I got death threats for writing about such a thing 8 or 9 years ago, and it's only gotten worse since then.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE competing in S/St and S/G, but the current throttle stop situation is a joke. I'm a relatively recent convert to the starting line stop configuration (about 5 years ago), and I have to say that from a ride standpoint, my car is now boring as hell to drive. It used to leave wheels in the air, sitting you back in the seat. Now, it drives off the starting line like my wife's minivan. Is it more consistent? Sure. Has it made me more competitive? Absolutely. But, the ride is still boring. Good thing I like the competition.

With throttle stops, the cars keep getting faster and faster while running the same index because we all know there's an advantage to being the faster car on the top end. So, what's happened over time is people have gone from building $5,000 600hp motors to spending ungodly amounts of money to build 1000hp+ engines. Now, if you're going to run T/S or T/D too, then I think that makes sense. But, to take one of those motors and put it on a throttle stop it's entire life is just ridiculous. But, with the current state of the classes its a necessity (or if you have a door car, you can throw some ballast in it and go race S/St).

Think about how much money we could save if the electronics (including delay boxes) / throttle stops were gone. Most racers complain that NHRA should be doing things to help us save money, and the easiest one of all in the long run would be to take something OFF of our cars. I don't see it EVER happening, but I would most certainly be in favor of it. It would make these classes EVEN MORE of a driver's race, plus it would make the classes more exciting to watch for the normal everyday spectator.

For those that want to go fast and have the power to do so, I'd say create a 7.90 heads up class. Most S/G cars today would probably fit nicely into such a category or S/C, only needing to slow their cars down a few tenths, which could easily be done with some type of completely mechanical throttle linkage stop (i.e. a bolt under the gas pedal).

Let the flames and death threats begin....
Old 07-02-2008, 02:08 PM   #10
Eddie Arnold Jr.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jason ,,,, No Flames or Death Threats !!!
If you can't beat them , then join them,,,, Get a Big , Big Block ,,,,, I did

Colorful Racer