HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 02-14-2018, 08:49 PM   #671
Bpozzi

Liked 98 Times in 19 Posts
Default Re: Crate Motor Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Hoven View Post
I just want to know why these are being allowed in NHRA? Is it the official position? Is this a backdoor way to try and get these cars accepted?
Where can I look up the specs for these? Will they be held to the same standard of tech the traditional stockers are? Will the NHRA tech be trained or informed to properly tech these?
I bashed no one, if you have a car that was built for a sanctioning body and class that is defunct I’d say you have some tough choices. But if this is happening so be it. So if I travel down to div 2 races at the end of the year, and I don’t want to get drug down the track by a 9 second Duster in D/SA, I can put a SBC in my 68 Firebird call it CM and I’m good? Just wondering
Are you being sarcastic or just ignorant? Have you done a shred of research as to what a legal crate motor engine is? NHRA made a decision to have open races and allow crate motor cars in. All of your above questions were answered by the division 2 director on facebook . Kudos to rich for thinking outside the box and giving these cars a place to run. Do you legitimately think crate motor engines are just drop shipped from jegs and put in the car? It’s building power within the guidelines of specific rules. And awesome your from division 1, is that supposed to mean something? This move by NHRA doesn’t affect you one bit, so why the criticism? If you want to drive down here and race with us, we welcome you, but do some research before you make blanket ignorant statements. And yes, their are heads up races in CM , have to pass fuel check, hit the scales and pass tech just as your wonderful legal stocker does. So enlighten me as to what’s the difference?
Bpozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 08:58 PM   #672
Greg Hill
VIP Member

Liked 270 Times in 68 Posts

Todd, it’s got to be a bracket motor deal. Their are no specs for crate motors at NHRA.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:04 PM   #673
Bpozzi

Liked 98 Times in 19 Posts

http://www.ihra.com/competition/comp...t/category/211

As Division 2 director has said, they will go off of last years IHRA’s crate motor specs. So again, before you call it a “bracket motor deal”.... do 1 minute of research , and you can find the specs for these cars. It’s pretty plain and simple. If you don’t like the specs, don’t build a motor in CM and you won’t have to run heads up. If I run my AA/SA car vs a D/SA Firebird or a F/CM camaro..... it’s still a bracket race, correct?
Bpozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:09 PM   #674
Todd Hoven
VIP Member

Liked 720 Times in 151 Posts

I understand the crate motor deal. Spec heads, intake, carb, and short block. All parts you can buy over the counter. I guess there is a cam spec as well. Can you buy these engine completely from GM, Ford and Mopar?
I guess no difference other then they were IHRA class cars only.

My point is I’m an NHRA drag racer that competes in stock. After I was called irrelevant I thought I had a right to an opinion and stated why. BTW I don’t follow the Div2 Facebook page so I didn’t see the memo. Congratulations on getting someone to work with your cars. If it gets accepted, I’ll build one and throw my Pontiac stuff in the garbage. I can’t get any parts or help with it anyway. What my head castings cost I could buy every part for a crate. Then plenty of money left over to make it fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpozzi View Post
Are you being sarcastic or just ignorant? Have you done a shred of research as to what a legal crate motor engine is? NHRA made a decision to have open races and allow crate motor cars in. All of your above questions were answered by the division 2 director on facebook . Kudos to rich for thinking outside the box and giving these cars a place to run. Do you legitimately think crate motor engines are just drop shipped from jegs and put in the car? It’s building power within the guidelines of specific rules. And awesome your from division 1, is that supposed to mean something? This move by NHRA doesn’t affect you one bit, so why the criticism? If you want to drive down here and race with us, we welcome you, but do some research before you make blanket ignorant statements. And yes, their are heads up races in CM , have to pass fuel check, hit the scales and pass tech just as your wonderful legal stocker does. So enlighten me as to what’s the difference?
Old 02-14-2018, 09:13 PM   #675
Todd Hoven
VIP Member

Liked 720 Times in 151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpozzi View Post
http://www.ihra.com/competition/comp...t/category/211

As Division 2 director has said, they will go off of last years IHRA’s crate motor specs. So again, before you call it a “bracket motor deal”.... do 1 minute of research , and you can find the specs for these cars. It’s pretty plain and simple. If you don’t like the specs, don’t build a motor in CM and you won’t have to run heads up. If I run my AA/SA car vs a D/SA Firebird or a F/CM camaro..... it’s still a bracket race, correct?
Sounds good, thanks.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:10 PM   #676
Charley Downing

Liked 625 Times in 86 Posts

I love how 5-6 guys have keep this thread alive for months now.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:48 PM   #677
KEN BUGAJ

Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts

[QUOTE=Birch motor cars;556105]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN BUGAJ View Post
I = Ken look what your saying buddy ??? Your cheating and telling the whole world.
No, I'm saying that there are a number of people running around with $5000.00 head's & intake. Create Motor's don't need that, they run pretty good with just a valve job, and spring's. ! What helps them are a good carb and intake. The short block is the same as any 350/255.
KEN BUGAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 12:42 AM   #678
Dan Fahey
VIP Member

Liked 180 Times in 110 Posts

Holy Pure Stock ....
The Chattering Class Racers are now busting on Crate Motor cars.
You can tell who they are sporting bruised egos from walking into walls.
Interesting that CM racers are getting the same crap I got.
Now they are getting the rash from same stuck up Racers..

The question was asked why would a Racer not build a car for both NHRA and IHRA.
Because we could and because it was cost effective!

Very convenient racers forgot that my car plays by earlier Stocker Rules.
Today they are going second faster on average.
Costs to be competitive gone up and reliability non existent!
So sensitive they avoid bracket racing them.

Started with rods and pistons, Cranks and blueprinted Cams
Then better rods and pistons and crank.
Then unlimited duration cams requiring expensive hardened Lifters and high tension Springs
Now the blocks are failing and buying reinforced aftermarket pieces.
Of course the Cam has to be specially treated also.
Then $15000 in labor to tweek and hide and assemble.
Then of course $12/gallon race fuel. Easy to burn $100 a race.
Then reinforced beefed up rearends, suspensions and wheelie bars.

Old Stock now Pure Stock Rules my car is reliable and fun!
CM is a natural fit and looks like NHRA is thinking about adding them.
All the specs are well documented for tech.
So that argument goes out the window.

For me CM would be a good consideration to move up to.
Our B-body community are bolting in LS and the new LT1 engines.
Adding a LS would allow running a higher class than K.

IHRA dropping Class Racing was shock.
Hope NHRAs D2 1/8 mile Racing is a huge profitable success.

D

Last edited by Dan Fahey; 02-15-2018 at 12:45 AM.
Dan Fahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:24 AM   #679
Cdncarnut

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts

I'm with Todd Hoven on this one.
Stock Eliminator, in the IHRA is dead, as it does not exist anymore.
NHRA does not have a Crate Motor class.
All the IHRA Crate Motor cars are nothing more than Bracket Cars at the moment, as there is no sanctioning body for these.
The NHRA is basically allowing Bracket Cars to run run in Division 2 races.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:00 AM   #680
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,030 Times in 269 Posts

In a nutshell, if NHRA is foolish enough to put Pure Stock and Crate Motor Stock into NHRA Stock Eliminator, the only thing the IHRA only racers will have accomplished is to kill NHRA Stock Eliminator. Because the class as it existed, will not exist anymore. IHRA only racers will not have joined NHRA Stock Eliminator. They will have convinced NHRA to create Bracket Stock Eliminator.

None of that encourages me to build a new engine for the current car and return, or to buy/build a second car. I don't care anything about bracket racing, it's not what I want to do. And what amounts to alphabet soup stock eliminator, where the class designation has to be in fine print, or stretch across half the windshield, has no draw for me.