HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-29-2018, 09:17 PM   #1
rustang

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default '69 Torino Z-Bar and linkage setup

Just got my brother's 69 Torino out amongst the living after 18 years of gathering dust. Had it to the track last weekend and had a few teething problems, one of which was stock clutch linkage setup. I think for the most part I need new bushings, etc.. but I'm also wondering if you guys are doing anything different than the stock arrangement? Maybe bearings instead of the nylon bushings, different means of adjustment etc.? The clutch and pressure plate is a Ram 98769. Not sure what the spring pressure is but it takes a lot of leg! I'm having a hard time keeping the linkage in adjustment (so far...but could just be everything loose and worn).
rustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 01:01 AM   #2
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 937 Times in 258 Posts
Default Re: '69 Torino Z-Bar and linkage setup

Fairlanes and Torinos of that era used a 2 piece Z bar/cross shaft, 1 section fits inside the other, a bolt holds it together. This Z bar is known to flex and deform, especially with old style pressure plates. Years ago, I owned a 69 428CJ 4 speed Cobra fastback, that a previous owner had swapped over to a 1 piece 69 428CJ Mustang Z bar.Not sure what all had to be done to make the Mustang bar fit, but even the 2 piece unit should be fine with a modern low pressure clutch setup.