HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-28-2007, 10:28 PM   #31
LNorton

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Default Re: Turbo-Action E-Shift Controller

But how can they tell me no overdrive if I am running the factory transmission?
LNorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 12:00 PM   #32
Signman

Liked 199 Times in 74 Posts
Post Re: Turbo-Action E-Shift Controller

2007 Rulebook

Transmission, Automatic

"Any model transmission (must be same make as car) having the same number of forward speeds (O.D. gear not required) and reverse permitted. Transmission case must be OEM from a standard automotive application as found in the Official NHRA Stock Car Classification Guide. NHRA-accepted adapter plates permitted. Modifications to shifting pattern permitted, provided full shift pattern is retained. Full shift pattern must include park and reverse. Any gear change must occur as a result of an internal function of the transmission or from direct action by the driver. Pneumatic, hydraulic, electric, etc. shifters prohibited. Lockup converter permitted if OEM-equipped with lockup converter and OEM transmission is used. Otherwise lockup converters prohibited. Electronic shifting of automatic transmission permitted in computer-controlled electronic-fuel-injected vehicles. Otherwise, automatically shifted transmissions prohibited. Deepened stock or aftermarket transmission oil pans permitted. Drilling of transmission case or rear of engine block to adapt incompatible units prohibited. Functional neutral safety switch mandatory. Transmission brake prohibited. Tailshaft modifications for bushing replacement, or NHRA-accepted aftermarket tailshaft, permitted. See General Regulations 2:12, 2:14.

Transmission, Manual

OEM or NHRA-accepted aftermarket transmission having same number of forward speeds (O.D. gear not required) as original, and reverse, may be used. All gear changes must result from direct action of the driver. Pneumatic, hydraulic, electric, etc. shifters prohibited. Floor-shift conversion kits permitted. Clutchless transmissions prohibited. Clutch must be used to change gears in a conventional manner See General Regulations 2:12.

Automatic Transmission

It seems that any automatic transmission can shift automatically as long as it is not controlled externally. Otherwise the driver shifts the transmission.

Only EFI cars can shift electronically.

If the car was originally equipped with a lock-up converter and the originally equipped transmission is used, lock-up converters can be used.

Manual Transmission

With manual transmission OD need not be used. Does not say that OD cannot be used.

Hope this helps!
Frank
Old 08-29-2007, 12:35 PM   #33
John Leichtamer Jr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs down Re: Turbo-Action E-Shift Controller

Lock up converters????????????? thats a complete new thread.

love those 4 speeds

John
John Leichtamer Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:16 PM   #34
LNorton

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Agreed, If you gave some guys a lockup converter it would be scary...
Old 08-29-2007, 01:54 PM   #35
countrypuppy4865

Liked 183 Times in 62 Posts

If the automatic shift in the fuel injected cars would be such an advantage don't you think more drivers would have that? (Biondo, Fletcher, Zane, etc., etc.)
countrypuppy4865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:21 PM   #36
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 939 Times in 259 Posts

The overdrive deal is something that I am confused about though. Am I allowed to use it or not? I would like to put a bit more gear in the car and use overdrive, mainly because we are trying to run high 12's with a 200hp combination.[/QUOTE]

I doubt that you would be very happy using the factory overdriven 5th gear in a Stocker. When I was still running original style T5`s in my M/S 85 Mustang, I did try using 5th on one run, rather than letting the engine hang its tonque out in 4th. The OD on my T5 was 0.68, I believe, and the RPM dropped like a rock, and the car dropped off a bunch. I doubt that you could run enough rear gear to make the OD feasable, especially with such a low power engine. Even if you could, the 1-2 shift would crazy. Also, every OD stick trans I`m aware of has very weak looking gears, as OD is normally a "cruising" gear, without much load being used.
As for Mr. Hendersons comments about the fun aspect of a faster stick car, he is dead on. Although it`s not a Stocker, I have a Ford Fairmont bracket car with a 428FE and Jerico 4 speed, that runs 10.0`s at 132, with 1.29 60 foots, hard not to smile banging gears while wheels up !
Old 08-29-2007, 02:45 PM   #37
Signman

Liked 199 Times in 74 Posts
Question Re: Turbo-Action E-Shift Controller

The auto shift works very well and there are those using it happily. The down side is if you spin the trans will shift and the run could be wasted.

As far as the lockup converter in the modern trans: Can the internals take the abuse. Does anyone modify these transmissions? What would be the cost of developing it? Who wants to be the first??
Old 08-29-2007, 03:53 PM   #38
LNorton

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory McNeil View Post
I doubt that you could run enough rear gear to make the OD feasable, especially with such a low power engine. Even if you could, the 1-2 shift would crazy.
The 1-2 is already nuts! 3.75 low gear from the factory, with a 4.56 out back...

We have had the cover off the trans just to see if we had hurt it, and surprisingly after just under 200 runs it looked decent with just a little wear on the synchros.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:18 AM   #39
Speedracer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Re: Turbo-Action E-Shift Controller

Page 44 of October 12,2007 issue of National Dragster has a Turbo Action Advertisement that says ACCEPTED IN ANY YEAR STOCKER?
Speedracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:33 AM   #40
Bill Harris

Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts

Look at their web-site. Says it's accepted in all stockers any year... in big bold letters.

I think I'm pissed now...
Bill Harris is offline   Reply With Quote