HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Garage Tech

Old 12-07-2012, 09:54 PM   #1
Marc LaBrecque

Liked 383 Times in 98 Posts
Smile floor paint/epoxy

Any suggestions on floor coatings. I've used u coat and after a couple years it looks like crap hot tires just lifted it. Looking for something more durable. Will be doing hobby/race car work light stuff.
Marc LaBrecque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
tj310

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: floor paint/epoxy

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=528972 Reading this yesterday and a guy was quoting $5-8 per sq.' to prep and coat. That sure seems like a lot of money ! ---Trevor
tj310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #3
CycloneFE

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj310 View Post
http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=528972 Reading this yesterday and a guy was quoting $5-8 per sq.' to prep and coat. That sure seems like a lot of money ! ---Trevor
Trevor, I don't think that is too far off. Been a while since I was a Volunteer FF and our FD coated the floors (about the time I was leaving in 2003). Big mess about how it was to be done, but If I remember right you must CLEAN very good and then etch with some specific acid, then apply the coating and then seal and I believe there was to be some type of maintenance coats periodically. I do remember cleaning up some stuff shortly afterward and it went very well. Looked very good too.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:38 PM   #4
Ken Miele
Live Reporter

Liked 13,006 Times in 1,223 Posts

Marc,

I am also looking to redo my garage floor. I'm looking into a product called RockSolid Floors https://www.rocksolidfloors.com It uses Polyurea, its a very hard coating. Very easy to apply, but the floor prep is very important. I think that is the cause of most issues with coatings not holding up, floor prep.

If you want it done professionally, anywhere $3 to $6 a square foot seems to be the going rate.
Ken Miele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:55 PM   #5
RacingRicki
Sponsor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Go to the GarageJournal.com forums. This topic has been discussed nine ways to Sunday. There is a whole topic about flooring. Lots of good info.

As for personal experience, I use Sherwin Williams Tile Clad HS. Comes in lots of colors. I have done numerous floors with it and had no lift up. This stuff is really hard stuff.

Last edited by RacingRicki; 12-09-2012 at 10:58 PM.
RacingRicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:47 AM   #6
Jeff Teuton
VIP Member

Liked 326 Times in 50 Posts

We are currently redoing our race car facility completely. If you have raw cement, clean, etch, and apply epoxy. We use Carboline brand. Many colors, splatter available, add walnut shells for traction, and we are going to clear the Mopar Blue color for the floors. If you have an epoxy that is down (or some other hard coat), use a commercial sander and grind the top, clean and apply the epoxy. On raw cement, the etching is very important. Doesn't take long, just use a hand sprayer and wash. The floors we are redoing are 17 years old, and have had lots of abuse. In our dyno building, the floors are 14 years old and not subject to much abuse. Building is mostly closed, little or no traffic (human or car) and the floors still look excellent and need nothing, except for my desire for Mopar Blue floors with big "M's" in them. Carboline is a commercial coating and probably a little more expensive, but is really hard. The commercial floor grinder we rented was no match for the 17 year old stuff.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:53 PM   #7
Bob Mulry
VIP Member

Liked 315 Times in 100 Posts

Hi,

Years ago I bought a new house with a 3-car garage.....

The concrete had never been driven on and I used Thompson Water Seal on the floor....

I put it on with a mop as heavy as I could, waited for it to soak in and put down another coat...

I did that 3 or 4 times and used that garage for 7 years.....

The floor held up to everything but brake cleaner.....

Oil and solvent cleaned up with a mop......

No chipping from jacks or jack stands either......

Bob

Last edited by Bob Mulry; 12-12-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Bob Mulry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:06 PM   #8
Jim Johnston/6022

Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts

I used Behr 1-part epoxy concrete & garage floor paint 4years ago and the only thing that will not clean up is dye from racing gas. I have a friend that paints for a living-he has given up on so called industrial floor paints and uses this stuff on everthing. The big thing is it is water based and you do not need to mess with acid.
Jim Johnston/6022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:07 PM   #9
Greg Hill
VIP Member

Liked 270 Times in 68 Posts

I used ppg commercial epoxy floor coating. It's been fine I would do it in a much darker color though. Mine is light beige and it shows every speck of dirt or grease.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:37 AM   #10
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 696 Times in 201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingRicki View Post
Go to the GarageJournal.com forums. This topic has been discussed nine ways to Sunday. There is a whole topic about flooring. Lots of good info.

As for personal experience, I use Sherwin Williams Tile Clad HS. Comes in lots of colors. I have done numerous floors with it and had no lift up. This stuff is really hard stuff.
Tile Clad is brutaly strong ,we have some floors that are 20 years old with it on and they are still decent.
We also used to use it to coat the inside of leakey SS cyl heads.
Works great for that too!