HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech

Old 11-23-2014, 02:43 AM   #1
rick lester

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Default Engine miss

Hey there classracer family, I have a problem that I am having a hard time diagnosing and fixing. I have a 1992 Buick Regal 3.8 with a miss. I was hoping it was an ignition control module problem; it would miss and backfire at higher than cruising speed. It would idle and cruise down the road perfect, if I eased into it, she would pick up speed but if I jumped on it, no freaking way, she would miss and backfire really bad. Before I spent up to $200 for a new one, I went to Pick-A-Part and grabbed 2, one from a supercharged, one from a n/a. I changed out for the n/a piece, no difference, then I changed out to the supercharged one, now idle , cruising speed, getting up to cruising speed normally all is great, even jumping on her hard from 45 mph and up she goes like a scalled ape. The problem now is from a dead start, either at idle or stalling, now she spits and sputters, not as bad as before, just feels like light sputter for 2 seconds and then off she goes. Unfort. I can't pull up any codes, when my alternator went out, computer light went out so I can't plug into OBD1 port and count the lights and local auto parts store don't have a way to check OBD1 with there scanners. Has anybody run into this before? I need help quick, I reg. and paid for the Thankgiving Bracket race at The Strip at LVMS. Alternator has been replaced but still no lights. All cylinders are firing great at idle; did the old school method and used a test light to kill each cylinder and all would die when I grounded each cylinder out. Wires are good, I changed the plugs; old ones were in great shape. Could possibly be a loose timing chain, it does have over 200,000 miles.
rick lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 11:55 AM   #2
buzzinhalfdozen

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Default Re: Engine miss

First thing you should find a friend with a scanner and see which cylinders are miss firing. If you can't find one I've seen alot of plug wire issues with these engine particulaly the ones going to the rear cylinders, they go open quite often. I don't know where you're located but around here (G.M. garage) we have a flat fee for a road test using a scanner (80.00) most times the issue can be diagnosed fairly quickly and most important correctly. Spend a few dollars and have it properly diagnosed, replace the correct part or parts the first time and actually save your self money. Joe
Old 11-26-2014, 03:41 AM   #3
rick lester

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Default Re: Engine miss

Thank you very much Joe. I found one plug wire at the coil that was bad. I had it in the garage and before I grabbed the drop light, I revved it up while it was still dark under the hood and LIGHT SHOW! It was arcing off an aluminum bracket. Right now I have electrical tape wrapped around where its bad. Yes, I plan on buying a new set in the a.m. before I go racing. Again, thank you Joe.
rick lester is offline   Reply With Quote