HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech

Old 09-05-2014, 08:35 PM   #1
w793_2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Which springs for coilovers

Which rear coilover springs do I need for a 68 Camaro super gas car if I don't have access to 4 wheel scales? The car weighs 2680, rear halfed with Alston chassis kit.
w793_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:34 PM   #2
Jimmy Smith

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Which springs for coilovers

My thoughts would be 130. Later J.Smith 4621racing
Jimmy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 01:02 AM   #3
w793_2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanx for your thoughts, Jimmy. Been searching though and it looks more like #110 to me. Anyone else have any ideas? Also, does anyone know if there's a way to identify my old springs if they aren't marked? By wire diameter maybe? They mike out at .396........Mike
w793_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:00 PM   #4
jim hensley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

mine was set up with 120# that is what santhuff recommended.
jim hensley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:28 PM   #5
Michael Pliska

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Are your shocks in front of or behind the axle? That will affect the desired spring rate as well as the overall rear weight. How much engine setback do you have from stock?

As far as determining the spring rate, you need the wire diameter, the coil average diameter (which you can calculate from the coil OD and the wire diameter), and the number of "active" coils. For active coils you just need to start on one end at the point where the coil last touches the coil next to it, then count the number of turns until you hit the comparable spot on the other end (may not necessarily be a whole number, could be 11.5 coils for example). If you want to post that info, I can calculate it for you. Or if you want to do it yourself here is the formula:
Rate (lb/in) = Gd^4/8ND^3
G=11.25E6 (torsional modulus for steel) 11250000
d=wire diam in inches
N=# of active coils
D=mean coil dia in inches

Incidentally, my Vega with some ballast and an iron headed BBC is close to your weight, with the shocks in front of the axle. It seemed to like 90-110 lb springs the best.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:43 PM   #6
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,640 Times in 507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Pliska View Post
Are your shocks in front of or behind the axle? That will affect the desired spring rate as well as the overall rear weight. How much engine setback do you have from stock?

As far as determining the spring rate, you need the wire diameter, the coil average diameter (which you can calculate from the coil OD and the wire diameter), and the number of "active" coils. For active coils you just need to start on one end at the point where the coil last touches the coil next to it, then count the number of turns until you hit the comparable spot on the other end (may not necessarily be a whole number, could be 11.5 coils for example). If you want to post that info, I can calculate it for you. Or if you want to do it yourself here is the formula:
Rate (lb/in) = Gd^4/8ND^3
G=11.25E6 (torsional modulus for steel) 11250000
d=wire diam in inches
N=# of active coils
D=mean coil dia in inches

Incidentally, my Vega with some ballast and an iron headed BBC is close to your weight, with the shocks in front of the axle. It seemed to like 90-110 lb springs the best.
I would say this is more correct. I have 130 lb springs on my car and it weighs 3200 lbs. Hal Lee recommended 110 on my car But I have not tried them yet