HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Bracket Racing
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-22-2009, 09:59 AM   #11
Kris Kristofferson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Top end racing tips??

Great advice Ron, This is the kind of driving technique tips I have been looking for!

I had a problem getting out of the groove this year in the right lane looking over my shoulder,,,
Kris Kristofferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 12:49 PM   #12
DemonChick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RON NICKELS View Post
If im running a slower car i always have my left foot on the brake pedal, but not applying any pressure,also i put my left hand on top of the steering wheel and my rt. hand on the cross bar and lock my arms so as not to turn the wheel,this way i can be sure im going strait .If i see im going to get to the stripe first ,i back off the throttle, and ease the brake on to take the stripe.Always have your left foot on the brake as your opponnet may try to dump you in the lights,takes to much time to hit the brakes if your a 1 foot driver.

If your being chased,if it is possible ,take the left lane, as your vision is a whole lot better,because you can find your competition, and find the win stripe without moving your head back, and forth,position your head at a 45 degree angle ,and use yours eyes,that way you can see the stripe, and your competition,without moving your head back and forth,also if he dumps you ,youll be ready to hit the brakes,of coarse if its a real fast dragster ,or door car its gets even tougher to judge.If your in the rt. lane it gets real tough as you have move your head around and back to judge the stripe,what i do is grab the roll bar with my rt. hand,keep my left hand on top of the steering wheel as to not turn the steering wheel when i turn around to look for my competition.
never rely on your rear view or side mirrors to judge the stripe ,you can use the rear veiw mirror to watch for tire spin, red lite bad lite etc.

THE HAMMER 7316
RON NICKELS

WTG Hammer......you be the teacher!!
Good Luck in Vegas at the Thanksgiving Bracket race!
Go get them BIG bux buddy!
ps....unfortunately we can't be in Vegas this time around!!
DemonChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 04:44 PM   #13
RON NICKELS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Kris,if i were you ,i would dial .010 hard and make dam sure your cutting .010-.015 lights and run it out when racing high mph. dragsters and cars.This way you put the pressure on the high mph cars as to let them make the decision to dump or take the light,believe me its as hard for a faster car to take the stripe by .010 as it is for a slower car to take a .010 stripe on a faster car.The odds are in you favor, or at least a push doing it this way,but keep in mind to also use my technique in watching your competition.
THE HAMMER 7316
RON NICKELS
RON NICKELS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 09:25 PM   #14
Ted Barnes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wink Re: Top end racing tips??

I agree with Ron's comments completely. I've been bracket racing for 20 years in a high 10-second car...so I'm almost always the slower car. Left lane suggestion is good....and dialing hard when running anyone 9.0 or quicker works like a charm. I beat more dragsters that way.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:15 PM   #15
Michael Pliska

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Another thing I do is to drive the stripe even if the other guy redlights, assuming I have enough data at that track already. It's good practice at taking a minimum stripe.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:51 AM   #16
GaryGoFast

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Talking Re: Top end racing tips??

I practice tightening it up on every time shot, I am generally the faster car and if I come around you early, I'll go to the 1000ft for data purposes and pedal you to the end and trying to guess what I took as stripe and then see how i faired with MOV. If I'm not getting there, I'll pick a spot to let you go and see how much I killed from that spot and adjust.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:14 PM   #17
68camaroSS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lots of good advice from a lot of good racers here. Sometimes a particular thing you try may work one time and sometimes they don't. Every run can be different. It also depends on the level of competetion at your track. Dialing .010 hard can be a good strategy as a safeguard from breaking out, but realize it does not guarentee you will win the round against a dragster or a good door car if he runs dead on. (But I agree dragsters, which I distain and would never own one personally, have several built in advantages we have to overcome.) Where we race, seems like about all the dragsters and the majority of door cars fast or slow are capable of laying down a .00 light and running dead on at any given time. I have had .00 lights along with my competetor but lost as I ran high up on my dial (dead on) in the thousands and he ran lower in the thousands. Sometimes it has went into the 4th digit, (ten thousands). Bottom line, winning rounds is tough. It is a lot of hard work, and at times you do your best and lose by a fraction and can get discouraged. Your car has got to be deadly consistent so you know what to dial, and the driver has got to nail the tree. When you come to the line, concentrate on your own race. If you happen to be lucky enough to be ahead at the first MPH light, then dump. Another thing, we only have 1/8 mile tracks where I race. I think it is a lot tougher than 1/4 mile, as no time for top end games. The guys who like to dial soft and play waaa waaa games don't last long. Just some thoughts that I hope fit in with what everyone else has said.
68camaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:54 PM   #18
mannymen

Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts

Hate to say this, but all the top bracket racers play the waaa waaa game and dial soft all day long. SR starts pumping the gas at the 330 mark, but he's one of a kind
Old 12-06-2009, 08:48 PM   #19
TinSoldier 3215

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

All the racers on here have a good point on driving the finsh line,but what it all comes down to is how well you know your car!!! the better your package is,you will win rounds and races. Me racing my car on dailing hard or soft depends on how tough the racer is!!! S.R is one of the best he does it for a living, but he puts his pants on like us and he can be beat!!!!! Happy Hoildays!!!!!
TinSoldier 3215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:53 AM   #20
ET6201

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lotsa good comments here but I'll add my $0.02 worth. I run an 11-second doorslammer in Pro Bracket, where there are many 8-second dragsters. With a top speed of just over 118 mph vs a dragster running 150+ mph, it's very tempting to brake or back off the "loud pedal" when charging the finish line. It's hard to see a low-slung dragster coming up on you... it's even tougher when it's a night race! That said, the best thing I've found is to:
  • try to make the car as consistent as possible
  • don't dial (too) soft
  • cut a good light
  • don't brake/decelerate until you're almost at the finish line (assuming you're ahead)
"Bye-Run"
'68 Barracuda 340-S 4-Speed
11.34 @ 118.6 mph
ET6201 is offline   Reply With Quote