HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 11-15-2011, 12:20 PM   #11
Joe DeMarzo

Liked 114 Times in 9 Posts
Default Re: Proper Fuel Cell Winter Storage

I am with Rusty, marvel her down, seal the vent tube from the fuel cell and forget it (esp if it is C12). Remove the foam asap, serves no purpose in a racecar.

Joe sending you a pm.

Hope all is well.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:48 PM   #12
Dinsdale

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe DeMarzo View Post
I am with Rusty, marvel her down, seal the vent tube from the fuel cell and forget it (esp if it is C12). Remove the foam asap, serves no purpose in a racecar.
Just curious since the foam has been in my cell for 7 years and never a problem. Isn't the foam the whole point of running a fuel cell? Taking it out makes the cell no safer than a stock tank as far as I can figure.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:44 PM   #13
Mike Croley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anytime your car is going to be parked for an extended period , drain the fuel system and seal everything up tight . Hopefully you've timed it so there isn't much fuel left in the car . The fuel you drain out can be stored carefully and re-used , but you're better off just starting the new season with fresh fuel .
The foam is in the cell for a very good reason and needs to remain there . The cell manufacturers don't include it just for the hell of it . Make sure the foam is top quality , and is manufacturerd for the type of fuel you're using ( gasoline , methanol , or nitro ) . I f you need to replace the foam , contact the company that made your cell or any of the top rated fuel cell manufacturers . They will make sure you get a quality product . Foam will normally last for years unless you run the wrong type of fuel through it or use poor quality or incorrect foam .
Mike Croley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:37 PM   #14
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 919 Times in 252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
Just curious since the foam has been in my cell for 7 years and never a problem. Isn't the foam the whole point of running a fuel cell? Taking it out makes the cell no safer than a stock tank as far as I can figure.
Same here, I`ve had a palstic RCI fuel cell in one of my cars for over 15 years, never any issues with the foam. The foam is still soft & pliable, and I`ve never found any foam debris in my fuel filter, pump, or carb. I`ve used nothing but C-12 for the past 9 or 10 years, before that I used a mix of Chevron Supreme 94 & Av Gas.
As for the foam having no purpose in a race car, it prevents sloshing, and would release the fuel in the case of a rupture much slower. Without the foam, it would seem that all you have is a weaker than factory container for storing fuel in the vehicle.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:00 PM   #15
Joe DeMarzo

I believe the foam is intented to prevent sloshing, since we go straight (no turns under a load) it is less than critical.

Now as far as sloshing backwards that is why there is a sump and the pickup in the rear. I do not know what positive purpose it serves in a drag car? I have never run one in any of my cars for the past 22 years and have never had a problem.

Makes changing fuel at events easier from the standpoint of no cross contamination of fuels, thus failing fuel check.

The fuel should be stored in a cool place over the winter whether it is in the fuel cell or the fuel container. Fuel has no feelings and it does not know where it is being stored.

I leave my C12 in the fuel cell sealed up at 40 degrees, (my shop or garage is not heated) lol Never had a n issue at the first race of the year due to I believe being sealed and keep out the sun in a cool environment.

I am open to any insights that would help performance or safety?
Old 11-16-2011, 08:19 PM   #16
Jeff Kempton

Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts

The foam is primarily there to reduce the risk of the cell exploding. If a spark causes ignition of the fuel, the foam creates an impediment to rapid progression of the flame front. Or at least that's how it works in the military applications that the design came from. For that reason the foam should stay for safety. The reduction in sloshing is an added benefit.
Jeff Kempton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:41 PM   #17
Joe DeMarzo

Jeff now that makes sense, thanks.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:05 PM   #18
Todd Hoven
VIP Member

Liked 720 Times in 151 Posts

I know in NASCAR they use it to keep the fuel from getting airated from slosh and vibration. I had it in my GTO for years. I never failed fuel check once after changing the fuel over. I never saw the advantage of taking it out..
Old 11-17-2011, 12:02 PM   #19
Mike Croley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mr. Kempton is correct , the foam is in the cell to impede an explosion if you should be unfortunate enough to crash . The fuel cell and foam insert was developed for race cars in the early 60s by Firestone to help prevent driver death and injury from fire . The foam may have some effect on fuel sloshing ( which probably wouldn't matter very much anyway ), but that's not why it's in the cell .
Mike Croley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:59 PM   #20
Bill Pomponi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Re: Proper Fuel Cell Winter Storage

There appears to be very strong opinions on both ways........foam in and foam out. C'mon guys........Which is it?

We've left the foam in w/o any problems

Definitely run Marvel Mystery throught the entire fuel system........cell to carb. I'm sure everyone has witnessed residue from racing fuels especially VP !
Bill Pomponi is offline   Reply With Quote