HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-27-2008, 02:07 AM   #11
Dave Goob Cook

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: SBC stocker oil pans

Larry, I think the semi-circular tray actually works more like a wiper than a screen type, in a space that doesn't give ya much.

I did have a Milodon or Summers Bros. semi-circular expanded metal windage tray that worked well with a dragster pan and wiper. It was vintage mid '80's , haven't seen one like it lately. It got hurt I think.

I've been using a B&B pan on my bracket ride that has a side "catch/wiper" that could be adapted in a stocker pan, with a trapped sump, but I don't feel it is as effective as the Z-28 setup I used to run.

With the B&B, 1/2 quart of oil in the pan from 6 1/2 to 7 costs me .04 in E.T., indicating without further investigation that the B&B pan isn't great without the semi-circular tray which I did run with it for a while. I don't gain ET as the B&B gets to 6 quarts or under, it's just that 1/2 that brings it to full that gets me.

The Corvette tray is flat and not as close.

Last edited by Dave Goob Cook; 11-27-2008 at 02:09 AM.
Dave Goob Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 09:41 AM   #12
Myron Piatek
VIP Member

Liked 132 Times in 48 Posts
Post Re: SBC stocker oil pans

I started using pan rail mounted crank scrapers on my engines this year. Using studs for the oil pan helps assembly and alignment. I wasn't able to do any back-to-back comparisons, but the design appears to be beneficial. They have scrapers as well as windage screens for most engines, including small block Chevy.

http://www.crank-scrapers.com/Chevrolet.html
Old 11-29-2008, 07:38 PM   #13
Tom Turner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

While in oil pan mode with my LT1, I fooled around (key word here being "fool") with scrapers and learned that a pan rail scraper that has no kickout into which oil can be scraped is pretty ineffective. It makes a lot more sense to put the scraper in the lower side or bottom of the pan so the oil has a place to go. The Corvette has a lot more room in the front of the pan so there is room for a full length scraper and screen; not sure what the F-body guys should do but as I understand the current rules; crossmembers can be modified to allow pan removal so that opens a window for a more desireable OE pan. By the way, Alan is correct about "welding" on stocker pans; not legal! I had Stef's do a couple of pans for me; pretty good quality, nothing visable from the outside, reasonable price, seem to work well. I think that the oil pan is a good place to look for parasitic HP losses but within the confines of a stock pan, you run out of options pretty fast.
Tom Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:22 PM   #14
Todd Bailey

Liked 28 Times in 14 Posts

Tom,

You have a PM.
Todd Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 08:37 PM   #15
Matt Moran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragsinger View Post
Soon I will need a SBC stocker oil pan. Let me know about some options.
Thanks
If your application is for I.H.R.A. Crate Motor ? Then any aftermarket oil pan can be used.Modification to the sump area only.No side kickout.B&B worked for me.Seven quart pan with 5 quarts in picked up,but pressure fluctuates under braking.Five and a half in solved that.
Matt Moran is offline   Reply With Quote