HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 01-18-2015, 10:44 PM   #1
BLIND MULE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Delta camshaft grinders?

Anyone use them for there regrinds? Opinions?
BLIND MULE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:34 PM   #2
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts
Default Re: Delta camshaft grinders?

Surely not for a race car?
Old 01-19-2015, 01:23 AM   #3
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,453 Times in 541 Posts

If you are talking about Delta Camshaft in Tacoma, Washington, the cam regrinds are good for low cost engine rebuilds. For a racing camshaft, go to a knowledgeable camshaft company such as Bullet.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 03:33 AM   #4
Dave Noll

Liked 219 Times in 105 Posts

I've used both Delta & Oregon Cam Grinding in low end motors with no problems. Oregon cam claims usage in a very successful TAD,

http://www.oregoncamshaft.com/race-car-cam.html
Old 01-19-2015, 02:00 PM   #5
fordteacherguy

Liked 147 Times in 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLIND MULE View Post
Anyone use them for there regrinds? Opinions?
Delta has been around for over 50 years and transitioned from doing mainly regrinds for mass engine rebuilders to custom cam repair/regrinds. I have been using them for over 20 years for copying some of my base grinds and relocating lobe centers.

They are not cam shaft developers, but they do build lots of camshafts for local engine developers to the requested specs. There are top fueler cams in there for repair when the Nationals come to town, and they can repair damaged lobes or copy a profile if you have 2 good lobes left.

They are one of the last cam guys who repair/make anything from new tractor pull cams/Subaru HP cams/foreign cars cams/plus the cheepo hp-regrind.

There are a couple of local racers NHRA stock national records on the wall, including mine using their services.

Delta uses cam doctor to measure camshaft grinding results. Again they are not developers I would go with a major cam grinder BUT I have had had mixed results with major brands as well being overly aggressive with their cam grinds for my applications and Delta can sometimes modify my existing cams to my requests. Note: Legal stocker cams have unique cores/billets due to our "big nose" long dwell profiles..plus we usually like a large base circle, so you typically have to use a new billet anyway, may as well buy from a contingency supporter.

John and Scott are good guys who can turn a cam repair around in 24 hrs if there is a emergency and are 100% service oriented. I take my automotive class down there for tours of how cams are redone. They are a great local resource that I use occasionally.

http://www.deltacam.com/
fordteacherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 02:34 AM   #6
Phillip marvetz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I have used their cams countless times, I just sent them a cam for a 1937 chevy to redo. I usually get RV type cams or mild street rod stuff. I use Comp Cams in the race cars though. The RV cam for the Toyota 22r really wakes them up for the off road guy's.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:34 PM   #7
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 280 Times in 150 Posts

Demos cams--- can regrind or weld em up too
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:48 PM   #8
65signet

Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordteacherguy View Post
Delta has been around for over 50 years and transitioned from doing mainly regrinds for mass engine rebuilders to custom cam repair/regrinds. I have been using them for over 20 years for copying some of my base grinds and relocating lobe centers.

They are not cam shaft developers, but they do build lots of camshafts for local engine developers to the requested specs. There are top fueler cams in there for repair when the Nationals come to town, and they can repair damaged lobes or copy a profile if you have 2 good lobes left.

They are one of the last cam guys who repair/make anything from new tractor pull cams/Subaru HP cams/foreign cars cams/plus the cheepo hp-regrind.

There are a couple of local racers NHRA stock national records on the wall, including mine using their services.

Delta uses cam doctor to measure camshaft grinding results. Again they are not developers I would go with a major cam grinder BUT I have had had mixed results with major brands as well being overly aggressive with their cam grinds for my applications and Delta can sometimes modify my existing cams to my requests. Note: Legal stocker cams have unique cores/billets due to our "big nose" long dwell profiles..plus we usually like a large base circle, so you typically have to use a new billet anyway, may as well buy from a contingency supporter.

John and Scott are good guys who can turn a cam repair around in 24 hrs if there is a emergency and are 100% service oriented. I take my automotive class down there for tours of how cams are redone. They are a great local resource that I use occasionally.

http://www.deltacam.com/

A friend of my helping me do my motor has used them for years, and he called them and they had the cam specs for my motor, so we will see how runs soon...
65signet is offline   Reply With Quote