HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Bracket Racing

Old 11-19-2009, 08:33 AM   #1
Kris Kristofferson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Top end racing tips??

Hey guys this looks like a cool board!
I compete in the semi-pro series at a local 1/8 track...

http://www.luskvilledragway.com/

Do you guys have any tips for gauging when to "get out of it" or "run through the backdoor". It is sometimes tricky when you opponent is coming down on you like a freightrain going 100 mph+++..
Thanks,

Kris
Kris Kristofferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:46 AM   #2
Freddie

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Top end racing tips??

First off welcome..

Secondly if your in a Semi-Pro series, you should be giving us advice...

Not to be a smart ***** or anything but I find it kinda funny...

I have been racing for well over 25 years and finish line racing is something you just learn, each race is differant, and it all comes down to knowing your car and your spot on the track.
NMRA 2012 Outlaw 10.5 #10
Freddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:31 PM   #3
Kris Kristofferson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The name of "semi-pro division" is kind of misleading. They used to have a trophy class at the track that most of the rookie racers could particapte in. A few years ago, since the numbers were low, the trohpy class was eliminated. Currently the only division options at this track are semi-pro and super pro...

Now, the semi pro class is a mixture of pure beginner racers and 30 year veterns. I was participating in the class and it was tough for sure. I have read a few books on the subject from Frank Hawley and Frank McKenna (he has a interesting chapter on advanced bracket racing) and have tried to apply the techniques. Such as figuring out a reference point on your opponents car..

It is certianly a difficult thing to practice....
Old 11-19-2009, 02:25 PM   #4
JRyan

Liked 104 Times in 28 Posts

If I was you I'd check out Luke Bogacki's site. Thisisbracketracing.com. To view the tutorials and some of the other info you need to be a member. But, believe me the cost of the membership is worth it. Luke and the guest instructors write some wonderful articles on all aspects of drag racing.
If you haven't heard of Luke he is a very accomplished bracket racer. Some of his guest writers have been Peter Biondo, Jeg Coughlin, Danny Waters, as well as other great drivers. Defineately worth your time no matter how good of a driver a person is.

Rick Ryan
JRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:39 PM   #5
Kris Kristofferson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you Fellas,
I will check it out!

Kris
Old 11-20-2009, 09:08 AM   #6
Freddie

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Ok, makes more sense to me now..

Best advice I can give is what I do.. when I am staging or in the lanes I try to pull even witht hem and find a referance point on thier car... then once you have your spot on the track based on how much faster they are or slower... you have an idea weather you need to take the stripe or let them have it. I have also found that watching the people in your class helps alot.. for example if you see a driver that will take the stripe no matter what chances are he will run under just to beat you to the line. Faster cars are always good for this.. Other than that its just time spent int he car, and learning how to read your opponent.. a good excersise is to get a friend and practice against durring test and tunes, I know our track will let us run on dials for TnT sometimes and this helps given you know how fast the other car really is.
NMRA 2012 Outlaw 10.5 #10
Freddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:38 AM   #7
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Liked 645 Times in 206 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Kristofferson View Post
The name of "semi-pro division" is kind of misleading. They used to have a trophy class at the track that most of the rookie racers could particapte in. A few years ago, since the numbers were low, the trohpy class was eliminated. Currently the only division options at this track are semi-pro and super pro...

Now, the semi pro class is a mixture of pure beginner racers and 30 year veterns. I was participating in the class and it was tough for sure. I have read a few books on the subject from Frank Hawley and Frank McKenna (he has a interesting chapter on advanced bracket racing) and have tried to apply the techniques. Such as figuring out a reference point on your opponents car..

It is certianly a difficult thing to practice....
I raced the Summit sseries at Irwindale this past season, one racer had a 72 Mustang with the long nose and the spoiler in front, and I noticed a black object like a large card hanging down in front, presumably to trip the lights, so I rolled my '68 Chevelle wagon up with the front wheels and the card lined up. I wanted to spot where I had to be to take the light and no more. His radio antenna had to be next to my door post. I was all prepared for him,but never got to apply that strategy because he red-lighted. Know what part of your car's anatomy has to be lined up with his. The finish line can be more tricky than the starting line!!
Greg Reimer 7376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:26 PM   #8
TinSoldier 3215

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Freddie somes it up. You need a lot of seat time!!!!!
TinSoldier 3215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:22 PM   #9
Kris Kristofferson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey thanks guys,
I have a file folder filled up with time slips this year (approx 100 runs), but I will work harder to improve...Some guys I race against likely have 10,000 runs...

In the staging lane I tried to line up my nose (the Monte has a huge nose) about a foot ahead of the competitors car and get a landmark location such as you guys explained..

For me right now it is still really hard to gauge when to slow down or speed up. The last race of the year I made it to the 3rd round and lost by .009. I am running approx a 8.0 in the 1/8 while some are in the low 6's....I wonder if I quickened the car I could make judging the stripe easier?

How do you guys slow down? Brake and keep your foot on the accelerator or feather the throttle? I lost a race because I totally left me foot off the throttle, I cut a great light too.. That is racing you must lose 100 different ways until you win one.

Kris
Old 11-21-2009, 05:38 PM   #10
RON NICKELS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If im running a slower car i always have my left foot on the brake pedal, but not applying any pressure,also i put my left hand on top of the steering wheel and my rt. hand on the cross bar and lock my arms so as not to turn the wheel,this way i can be sure im going strait .If i see im going to get to the stripe first ,i back off the throttle, and ease the brake on to take the stripe.Always have your left foot on the brake as your opponnet may try to dump you in the lights,takes to much time to hit the brakes if your a 1 foot driver.

If your being chased,if it is possible ,take the left lane, as your vision is a whole lot better,because you can find your competition, and find the win stripe without moving your head back, and forth,position your head at a 45 degree angle ,and use yours eyes,that way you can see the stripe, and your competition,without moving your head back and forth,also if he dumps you ,youll be ready to hit the brakes,of coarse if its a real fast dragster ,or door car its gets even tougher to judge.If your in the rt. lane it gets real tough as you have move your head around and back to judge the stripe,what i do is grab the roll bar with my rt. hand,keep my left hand on top of the steering wheel as to not turn the steering wheel when i turn around to look for my competition.
never rely on your rear view or side mirrors to judge the stripe ,you can use the rear veiw mirror to watch for tire spin, red lite bad lite etc.

THE HAMMER 7316
RON NICKELS
RON NICKELS is offline   Reply With Quote