HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-07-2024, 08:36 PM   #1
BTR69

Liked 44 Times in 16 Posts
Default Tow truck tranny issues, back again

Good evening. I'm back to working on my Dually tranny issues again. Got some good ideas from here back in 2021 when I was initially working on it, but no luck with them. 1998 Chevrolet 3500 HD, 454 gas engine, 4L80E tranny. I re-retired it in 2021 after throwing the cheaper, affordable options for repairs at it, with no fix. Life has gotten out of the way enough for me to work on it again, along with having a little more money to spend on it. Quick recap... Keeps getting stuck in low gear. Shop referred to it as limp mode. Pulling battery cables, seems to reset the computer and it shifts 1-2 fine, 2-3 shift happens and immediately downshifts to low and stays there.

Things that have been addressed so far.
1. Switch in steering column. Was told about a GM service bulletin that says it would cause a similar issue.
2. Speed sensor. Truck is 4x4 and as I understand it, only speed sensor is on transfer case.
3. Internal wiring harness. Old one was leaking fluid from inside to outer harness.
4. Shift solenoids
5. Rebuilt tranny. Shop did document a couple of internal issues, so I'm ok'ish with the rebuild, but damm thing still acting up.

Tranny shop worked on it further, checking wiring harnesses and other possibilities and can't seem to find anything else that could cause this. Has recommended I find another ECU, as that seems to be the only thing left to swap. Their vendor sent them 2 units and neither were right for my truck. I found a vendor, All Computer Resources in Florida, who advertises they have them, refurbished and ready to program and go. Sadly, they can't seem to reprogram any of their core units to my truck. I'm planning to hit the salvage yards nearby tomorrow. From what I gather, only a 98 year ECU will swap over.

Anyone have any suggestions on a vendor for these units, or anything else I should look at, (aside from a stick of dynamite), to wake the tranny back up again? I'm about ready to bite the bullet and drop it off at a local shop I trust, but I expect that to be an expensive one for me. Hourly rates and an electrical gremlin don't sound cheap.

Thanks and hope y'all are having a great week.
BTR69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2024, 08:59 PM   #2
Steve Grady

Liked 37 Times in 22 Posts
Default Re: Tow truck tranny issues, back again

4L80E has a speed sensor that measures input rpm towards the front on the side of the case. The rear speed sensor hole in the case would be plugged on a 4WD with the speed sensor in the transfer case. You should have both sensors.
Old 06-07-2024, 09:02 PM   #3
Steve Grady

Liked 37 Times in 22 Posts

Have you checked it for any trouble codes or checked the line pressure?
Old 06-07-2024, 09:29 PM   #4
Jeff Stout
VIP Member

Liked 680 Times in 269 Posts

I know mine is a powerstroke, but brake lights would vibrate off and on and made it stay in low. Don't know why but it fixed it. Things I tried wireless throttle cable gas pedal, 3 pack solenoids, converter The fix was brake light switch and adjusted solved it.
Jeff Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2024, 09:34 PM   #5
BTR69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Grady View Post
Have you checked it for any trouble codes or checked the line pressure?
The tranny shop ran the codes several times. I don't remember what they were though. I'll see if it's on the paperwork they gave me with it. may take a few days to find that though. They drove it around while hooked up and saw voltage fluctuating pretty badly. New alternator fixed that. Was hoping that was causing the solenoids to fail. Apparently not. They're a reputable shop locally, so I'm hoping the line pressures are where they should be.

I don't remember finding any info on the speed sensor at the front of the case that you mention. I'll look for that, hopefully this weekend.

Thanks..
Old 06-07-2024, 09:37 PM   #6
BTR69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Stout View Post
I know mine is a powerstroke, but brake lights would vibrate off and on and made it stay in low. Don't know why but it fixed it. Things I tried wireless throttle cable gas pedal, 3 pack solenoids, converter The fix was brake light switch and adjusted solved it.
Thanks for the info. I'll definitely change it out. Those aren't so expensive that I can't pay for one and hurt me if it's not the fix.
Old 06-20-2024, 03:34 PM   #7
Kirk Morgan

Liked 56 Times in 32 Posts

As a last thing to do you could get a stand alone controller for the transmission.
Kirk Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 06-21-2024, 05:35 PM   #8
BTR69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Morgan View Post
As a last thing to do you could get a stand alone controller for the transmission.
Thanks. I've heard about this recently, but don't know anything about them. I'll be googling it tonight.. Haven't been able to make time for the truck recently. Tomorrow is looking good for me getting time to get back on it. Going to check out the speed sensor on the case that missed earlier on.
Old 06-21-2024, 05:43 PM   #9
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,130 Times in 298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTR69 View Post
Thanks. I've heard about this recently, but don't know anything about them. I'll be googling it tonight.. Haven't been able to make time for the truck recently. Tomorrow is looking good for me getting time to get back on it. Going to check out the speed sensor on the case that missed earlier on.

Why was it rebuilt to begin with?

Those are pretty reliable, I don't seem to have too much trouble with them. But then they get the Sonnax fixes, the Alto frictions, and a Superior valve body kit. That tends to eliminate further problems.

Order yourself the ATSG manual for the 4L80E. If you're going to work on it, you'll find that to be indispensable.
Old 06-21-2024, 08:38 PM   #10
BTR69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Roehrich View Post
Why was it rebuilt to begin with?

Those are pretty reliable, I don't seem to have too much trouble with them. But then they get the Sonnax fixes, the Alto frictions, and a Superior valve body kit. That tends to eliminate further problems.

Order yourself the ATSG manual for the 4L80E. If you're going to work on it, you'll find that to be indispensable.
After swapping out several parts that "could" cause it to go through 1-2 shift, then on 2-3 shift, it still falls back to low gear. Tranny shop I took it to has taken good care of me in the past and has a great reputation around here. The only thing left that they came up with was a rebuild. They did find a couple of internal issues that would end up causing me more grief and fixed those. I remember one having to do with a part that had been machined with too much tolerance from a prior rebuild. I'm taking their word on that. I know they upgraded it with the Sonnax parts. They kept it for a while troubleshooting and feel the ECU may be the problem. If I can find one in the junkyard, I may grab it, but have been told I'll likely need it flashed. The only other things that I can think of that haven't been changed out are the input speed sensor and neutral safety switch. Unless they did those and I'm not aware of it. Swapping those out tomorrow. If it doesn't work out, I'll look into the stand alone tranny controller. Looked them up this evening and seems like a viable option.