HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-21-2019, 03:04 PM   #1
Speedmaven

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Stock Eliminator Fairlane

Long time lurker, just now doing something with my Fairlane...
I have a question that may seem elementary to most veterans, but be gentle. I have bracket raced for a long time, but would like to build a car that is legal for Stock eliminator. I have a 67 Fairlane, and I am trying to figure out how to fit a 9x30 slick in there, especially with 10 inch wheels which seem to be the norm. I also have a pair of 15x8 wheels if that will make it easier. I am using the entire Calvert rear suspension package, mono-leafs, shocks, etc. I have not mounted tires and wheels as I am doing rust repair to the passenger frame rail at present. A friend of mine is running the 9x30 slick in his 66 Fairlane, but he has converted it to ladder bars and coils for bracket racing. Judging by where the spring pad is in relation to the slick, I cannot see how it will clear the tire. I am totally new and green when it comes to keeping the tire in the stock wheel house and frame configuration, as I have sliced and diced in the past. I want to try to do it with what Henry gave me on this one, as it is a car my dad raced in the 70s and 80s, not really interested in cutting the car up. Any help you can give me, as far as wheel sizes and backspacing as well as tricks to actually fit the tire into the wheel house will be greatly appreciated, so thank you in advance.
Speedmaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 03:15 PM   #2
Glenn Briglio
VIP Member

Liked 822 Times in 264 Posts
Default Re: Stock Eliminator Fairlane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedmaven View Post
Long time lurker, just now doing something with my Fairlane...
I have a question that may seem elementary to most veterans, but be gentle. I have bracket raced for a long time, but would like to build a car that is legal for Stock eliminator. I have a 67 Fairlane, and I am trying to figure out how to fit a 9x30 slick in there, especially with 10 inch wheels which seem to be the norm. I also have a pair of 15x8 wheels if that will make it easier. I am using the entire Calvert rear suspension package, mono-leafs, shocks, etc. I have not mounted tires and wheels as I am doing rust repair to the passenger frame rail at present. A friend of mine is running the 9x30 slick in his 66 Fairlane, but he has converted it to ladder bars and coils for bracket racing. Judging by where the spring pad is in relation to the slick, I cannot see how it will clear the tire. I am totally new and green when it comes to keeping the tire in the stock wheel house and frame configuration, as I have sliced and diced in the past. I want to try to do it with what Henry gave me on this one, as it is a car my dad raced in the 70s and 80s, not really interested in cutting the car up. Any help you can give me, as far as wheel sizes and backspacing as well as tricks to actually fit the tire into the wheel house will be greatly appreciated, so thank you in advance.
Get a hold of Billy Nees
Old 11-21-2019, 03:22 PM   #3
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

Liked 724 Times in 177 Posts

RJ Sledge
Old 11-21-2019, 04:48 PM   #4
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,772 Times in 1,519 Posts

RJ would be a better choice than me. I can't even spell FFFFord.

Make tech "TECH" again!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 08:34 PM   #5
Rod Greene

Liked 204 Times in 72 Posts

Chris Whitney, Robert Pond. Chris is on face book make friends.

Last edited by Rod Greene; 11-21-2019 at 08:35 PM. Reason: added info
Rod Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 11-21-2019, 11:33 PM   #6
Lee Jordan (3223) A/S

Liked 55 Times in 17 Posts

All you have to do is kinda spread out the rear quarters. cut or roll the wheel well lip so it folds back to the quarter. then you may have to kinda expand the quarter panel out "push it out from the frame" and make it look stock. you really don't even need to do any body work but just swell them out a little. I have always ran 9X30 on a 10" wheel. no one will ever notice...
Old 11-22-2019, 12:55 AM   #7
4284spd
VIP Member

Liked 3,805 Times in 874 Posts

Hakkart is 8" in a radial
DSC_0225 by Bob Smith, on Flickr
Kimball is 8" in a bias
027 by Bob Smith, on Flickr
Pond is 10" in a bias
Pond (9) by Bob Smith, on Flickr
Whitney is 10" in a bias
DSC_0073 by Bob Smith, on Flickr
Old 11-22-2019, 05:40 AM   #8
Mike Jones
VIP Member

Liked 660 Times in 283 Posts

Good luck with your project. I for one, like the early iron. You can buy driveline parts today, that will live, and I hope NHRA will help with HP and make you competitive.
Mike A114
Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 11-22-2019, 10:47 AM   #9
Speedmaven

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thank you, that is some of the info I was looking for. Those with the 10 inch wheels look very tight, will have to look into that before I start that. I have the wheels to do either, so that is no issue, just the whether I want to cut the car that much or not. The 10 inch wheels also look to have a 4.5 to 5 inch backspacing too, is that correct?
Speedmaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 11:02 AM   #10
Signman

Liked 198 Times in 73 Posts

There are wheel fitment tools available for under $100 if you play around it will get you in the ballpark. You may need custom offset wheels. This does not rule out body modifications mentioned above though.