I'm $450 to bore block, install bushings and bore and hone bushings to size

Thats a good deal!!
carl hinkson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:42 AM   #23
Mike Taylor 3601
VIP Member

Liked 116 Times in 48 Posts
Default Re: Questions on lifter bore correction

How close are Dart's blocks lifter bore locations when you check or machine them on CNC's. I will replace my 3 boring machines with CNC eventually, not sure what brand yet.
Mike Taylor 3601
Mike Taylor 3601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:50 AM   #24
carl hinkson

Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Taylor 3601 View Post
How close are Dart's blocks lifter bore locations when you check or machine them on CNC's. I will replace my 3 boring machines with CNC eventually, not sure what brand yet.
Mike Taylor 3601
Most blocks I machine lifter bores in I spot face the lifter bores and so far the Dart blocks seem to be spot on, That being said last weekend I machined a World Merlin 3 block going from .842 to .904 and the exhaust lifter bores on the drivers side all needed bushings. Even when I spot faced the to off the lifter bores they were of by quite a bit.

I have 2 HAAS CNC machines I work with both are great machines and if they are good enough for Hendricks Motorsports they should be fine for me.

If I was going to buy a new CNC for machining blocks I would go with the Centroid machine. http://centroidperformanceracing.com..._cnc-video.php

What ever you get for a CNC it a must to get it with a Probe system !!!!!
Old 02-08-2016, 10:01 AM   #25
Mike Taylor 3601
VIP Member

Thank's Carl
The Dart blocks I have checked with BHJ matched lifter bores great,had some merlins not so great.
Only CNC's I have any info on is I had friend who had a Rottler F-65 could have bought 3 or 4 years ago for 55K wasn't right time for me though and subject came up while talking to Tim at T&S machines, one plus for his machine is all parts are generally available and they have great customer service,I really like my upgrade I got from them for my CWT 3000 balancer.
This is a purchase that will be few years down the road at least if even then.

Mike Taylor 3601
Old 02-08-2016, 05:43 PM   #26
carl hinkson

Quote:
Thank's Carl
The Dart blocks I have checked with BHJ matched lifter bores great,had some merlins not so great.
Only CNC's I have any info on is I had friend who had a Rottler F-65 could have bought 3 or 4 years ago for 55K wasn't right time for me though and subject came up while talking to Tim at T&S machines, one plus for his machine is all parts are generally available and they have great customer service,I really like my upgrade I got from them for my CWT 3000 balancer.
This is a purchase that will be few years down the road at least if even then.

Mike Taylor 3601
Stay away from the knee mills its nothing but a glorified Bridgeport there not that rigid.

World blocks have a lot of lifter bore issues as I just machine one from .842 to .904 and 4 exhaust bores on the odd side would not clean up. I had to go to 1 inch and install bushings. When the other lifter bores were spot faced they showed they were off.

One World block that came in a few years ago all lifter bores would not clean up from .842 to .904 had to bush them all and just made it a 1 inch on some of them. Customer said the engine never made any power as I can see why. When dealing with roller lifters you dealing with direct center lines If the lifter bores are of any it will change the seat timing events.

Then on some of there blocks they counter bore the lifter bores so deep the lifter bore height is only 1.250 and you have to machine the lifter galley from the deck down to the lifter bore on the exhaust bores.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:38 AM   #27
Mike Taylor 3601
VIP Member

Thanks Carl.
I had about same experience with world block,sold one wollered(KY word?)a lifter bore out in about ten runs, when put fixture on the rest of those bore were way of,in or ex,cant remember had to bush them to fix, which ever it was in. or ex. the other was fine,but bushed them anyway,figured the bronze would be better than the iron.

If I get to the point of CNC,I will being doing a lot of research.

Mike Taylor 3601
Old 02-09-2016, 03:32 PM   #28
carl hinkson

Quote:
Thanks Carl.
I had about same experience with world block,sold one wollered(KY word?)a lifter bore out in about ten runs, when put fixture on the rest of those bore were way of,in or ex,cant remember had to bush them to fix, which ever it was in. or ex. the other was fine,but bushed them anyway,figured the bronze would be better than the iron.

If I get to the point of CNC,I will being doing a lot of research.

Mike Taylor 3601
You might look at the RMC machine as they have some nice units as well. Its best to go to the PRI Trade show in Dec.