HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-12-2012, 07:43 AM   #11
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts
Default Re: vega steering box...

I had a set of headmans on my car. I ground on the steering box to give a little more clearance. No issue with the hooker pipes I have on the car now. I did lower the box on the frame a bit to make clearance between the drag link and the pan.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:39 AM   #12
tj310

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We used to run Vega boxes on stock cars 30 years ago because they had a tighter ratio and were cheap and easy to find. I know I broke 1 when I hit the wall but I don't see a wheelie putting a big load on a steering box. Gotta be as strong as a Pinto rack and peanut. ---Trevor
tj310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:01 PM   #13
billy wilson

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Flaming River has everything you need to make the conversion.
billy wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:18 PM   #14
cicero819
VIP Member

Liked 67 Times in 29 Posts

Se Quay race cars has everything and also Flaming River.
cicero819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:26 PM   #15
Mike Taylor 3601
VIP Member

Liked 116 Times in 48 Posts

Had flaming river alum. vega broke in half on second pass when let off gas @ 1/8 mi.
I was very blessed car weaved and vibrated but stayed straight till about 5-10 mph thats when I realized I did'nt have any steering where I was did'nt have guardrail or wall after finish line and just rolled off in grass. The alum. it was made of was looked like junk it was dark gray and very porous material and no thicker than cast iron box is. I put a GM vega box back on.I can't give you any conversion tips my car is G-body.
Flaming river told me was'nt made for drag car,I asked what it's for then?
they said street,I thought if it breaks on drag car that pulls 3" wheelie maybe hows it going to handle a pot hole or curves?
Mike Taylor 3601
Mike Taylor 3601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:59 PM   #16
brent flynn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Pearson View Post
I had a set of headmans on my car. I ground on the steering box to give a little more clearance. No issue with the hooker pipes I have on the car now. I did lower the box on the frame a bit to make clearance between the drag link and the pan.
Thanks Mike... i actually sawzalled the big corner off my manual box, and went through ..oops... I made a little cover for it, epoxyed it on... and noticed that it had fallen off...so i took box to work...ground it flat....made a new cover 1/8'' thick... counter sunk some screws...itll be ok ... im thinkin about ditching the hedmans in favor of some Mad Dog Headers.... THe Hedmans have plates, and arent legal for the stocker combo im gettin ready to build(and they are 2'' primaries... a little big) 400/325... Im sure the hedmans will go right back on, with new cover on the box, but, im tired of messin with them, to be honest.... they will be cleaned up and put up for sale....
Old 09-13-2012, 12:28 PM   #17
Todd Hoven
VIP Member

Liked 720 Times in 151 Posts

I'm not sure you would have a problem running that box. I think if you get the bumpsteer corrected. And your car doesn't do the death shake when it hits the ground, you should have no problems. Pepole have been running them for years
Old 09-13-2012, 01:24 PM   #18
charlieo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hi i have a manaul gear box out of my ventura that i will sale if someone needs one nova camaro or firebird 321-733-8998 days 100.00 plus shiping 71 rear streer
charlieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:44 PM   #19
cicero819
VIP Member

Liked 67 Times in 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Taylor 3601 View Post
Had flaming river alum. vega broke in half on second pass when let off gas @ 1/8 mi.
I was very blessed car weaved and vibrated but stayed straight till about 5-10 mph thats when I realized I did'nt have any steering where I was did'nt have guardrail or wall after finish line and just rolled off in grass. The alum. it was made of was looked like junk it was dark gray and very porous material and no thicker than cast iron box is. I put a GM vega box back on.I can't give you any conversion tips my car is G-body.
Flaming river told me was'nt made for drag car,I asked what it's for then?
they said street,I thought if it breaks on drag car that pulls 3" wheelie maybe hows it going to handle a pot hole or curves?
Mike Taylor 3601
Mine is a Vega box that we completely rebuilt with GM original parts, look's like charlieo has the box for you. I have welded the shock dampener on the steering system. Have you consider Lemons Headers, really good quality and all their products pipes are tucked in pretty well out of the way(I could be wrong but I've always had good luck with their craftsmanship) Wow, Mike you've cut it pretty sharp. Glad you're ok. You should warn everyone with pictures, they do sell a lot to racers and if their products aren't made for drag racer then we should know about it. Claude
cicero819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:14 PM   #20
Mike Taylor 3601
VIP Member

Liked 116 Times in 48 Posts

It was about9-10 years ago they would'nt do anything,but warehouse I bought through took care of me though was 450.00 box.
Flaming River tech I talked to made me not very happy or nice,and anyone that knows me well will tell you it takes alot to upset me.
If i had been @ my home track the whole pass side at least would have been tore up on my car luckily I was where did have any walls or guardrails after finish line.
It destroyed every piece in steering,ball joints, tie rods the center link had came down so far that it ground the grease fittings off against the blacktop.
If still had box I would post pictures.
Everyone just be careful when working on steering and brakes.
Mike Taylor 3601
Mike Taylor 3601 is offline   Reply With Quote