HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-16-2012, 06:57 AM   #1
brent flynn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default new slicks

Thinkin its time to get a new set of rubber for my bird...since im wanting to build the stocker combo for it, i might as well try a set of radials(9x30)...
Wondering will they work ok on 8'' wheels that i have? They are welds.
Tubeless or no? Also, will they work ok even if i dont have trick springs in the front end to help with transfer? I will eventually have some springs in it, but it may be awhile. Are the Hoosiers the recommended tires? Part No.? Thanks for your replies, Brent

the car does 1.50 60fts now...has done a string of 1.48-1.49s
Old 04-16-2012, 09:00 AM   #2
Kenny Wigington

Liked 60 Times in 12 Posts
Default Re: new slicks

If you have 8's, they will but they'd be better on 10's. Cool ride ! Hoosier in my opinion.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:49 AM   #3
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 400 Times in 191 Posts

agree on the 10" wheels as well Hoosier. No tubes.

As to will they work? Well that depends how well the chassis/suspension works now. If your car doesn't hook consistently now on marginal starting lines, work on it until it does, otherwise you're wasting your time and money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent flynn View Post
Thinkin its time to get a new set of rubber for my bird...since im wanting to build the stocker combo for it, i might as well try a set of radials(9x30)...
Wondering will they work ok on 8'' wheels that i have? They are welds.
Tubeless or no? Also, will they work ok even if i dont have trick springs in the front end to help with transfer? I will eventually have some springs in it, but it may be awhile. Are the Hoosiers the recommended tires? Part No.? Thanks for your replies, Brent

the car does 1.50 60fts now...has done a string of 1.48-1.49s
1320racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:37 PM   #4
brent flynn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320racer View Post
agree on the 10" wheels as well Hoosier. No tubes.

As to will they work? Well that depends how well the chassis/suspension works now. If your car doesn't hook consistently now on marginal starting lines, work on it until it does, otherwise you're wasting your time and money.
the car is very consistent right now... with little Pheonix 28.5x9 slicks , it will do 1.50-1.51 all day... this is with a mild 455, footbrake, 8'' converter(4200), leaving at 2000... it has cal tracs... front suspension is stock, except for Comp Engineering shocks( i intend on trick springs in the future). I was more curious if they needed the trick springs to help make the tires work... i may just go with 9x30 Pheonix bias again, for now....not sure yet...
Old 04-16-2012, 11:51 PM   #5
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

You didn't mention weight in the trunk. Most stickers have considerable weight back there; high and way back. That helps considerably with consistancy and even ET. I'd suggest you get it to work on a set of bias slicks first. Once your there, it will only get better with radials.
Don't forget 9" wide wheels are also an option.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:33 AM   #6
1320racer
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lee View Post
You didn't mention weight in the trunk. Most stickers have considerable weight back there; high and way back.
Most stockers carry weight for the purpose of running a class other than the car's natural class.

That said, this car ain't a stocker yet, rather a bracket car and you'd have a hard time convincing most bracket racers that they need to add weight to hook.

While it will work, it's not need IF the chassis/suspension is setup correctly evident by my Chevelle which carried no additional weight/ballast, who's front to rear bias is 59%/41% of it's 3880lbs., runs on Hoosier radial slicks and will hook in a car wash.

Last edited by 1320racer; 04-17-2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:18 PM   #7
Steve Hayward

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Front shocks and bushings are where you should be paying your attention to.........
Steve Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:40 PM   #8
Phillip marvetz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

The radials wear out much faster than bias. Some stocker drivers only run the radials when needed.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:50 PM   #9
1320racer
VIP Member

Ran Hoosier's 30 x 10.5 radial slicks on my nearly 2 ton Chevelle that 60 footed low 1.30's and a best of 1.28, for 8 seasons, going through at least 3 sets a season.

Logged a minimum of 75 passes on each set before swapping them out for a new set without any indication the tire was going away with the 60 foots varying thousanths from pass to pass on any given day. Then these same tires went on a lighter weight car and saw another 75 passes minimum before they were retired.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:55 PM   #10
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320racer View Post
Most stockers carry weight for the purpose of running a class other than the car's natural class.

That said, this car ain't a stocker yet, rather a bracket car and you'd have a hard time convincing most bracket racers that they need to add weight to hook.

While it will work, it's not need IF the chassis/suspension is setup correctly evident by my Chevelle which carried no additional weight/ballast, who's front to rear bias is 59%/41% of it's 3880lbs., runs on Hoosier radial slicks and will hook in a car wash.

THAT SAID...He asked for advice.
THAT SAID...He said he would like to move towards the car being in Stock Eliminator
THAT SAID...I offered friendly advice along the lines of his question.
THAT SAID...I have more experience than you do in the Class.
THAT SAID...Your Chevelle has an entirely different suspension than the Firebird in question and was not a even a Class car as the OP was asking about.
THAT SAID...He didn't ask about your OLD Chevelle. I'll bet he already knows about it!
THAT SAID...We get it. You don't!
THAT SAID...Go back to the mirror and repeat..."I'm wonderful, I'm special, and by-goly. I want the world to know"