Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-05-2011, 09:39 AM   #21
Mickey Whaley
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Who builds the fastest Q-jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCChildress View Post
I spoke with Danny Ashley this morning and I gotta say, he is one super nice guy. I appreciate all the info from everyone. Thanks
what is dannys # the one i dialed on here was wrong
Mickey Whaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:54 AM   #22
Michael Compton

Liked 59 Times in 12 Posts

I show his number to be 765-674-5102.
Michael Compton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:48 AM   #23
eddie c

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi To all, I am very new to this forum,but not new to NHRA stock class
racing. I held a few records back around 1975 in F/S . This forum is
such a great place to learn. Back in my day,the only way we shared info
was at the races or if you got to be a trusted buddy of someone,you may be able to call him and talk on the phone for a few minutes,but that was about it. Anyway I have always been interested in carburetors,especially Q-jets ,because in 1975 very few people knew
how to best modify them for competition. Anyway,what would you think
would be the difference in et between a really good Q jet and one that
was just average. I know there is not an exact answer,but because of
reading this thread I began to wonder how much faster a really good one was compared to one that was not built with a good main body or top? thanks ed
eddie c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:31 AM   #24
Dion Hildebrandt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCChildress View Post
I spoke with Danny Ashley this morning and I gotta say, he is one super nice guy. I appreciate all the info from everyone. Thanks
And stands behind his product, another racer had an issue with a bog on the two step, and I had mentioned I was going to be using a two step, and the next thing I know he sent out the suspected problem part with a modification on it. Granted I didnt need it so he asked to send it back and he would cover shipping costs.....no money out of my pocket. He also emailed me a tuning guide which is mind blowing how in depth it is. Lets not forget that his q-jet on my combo compared with a known working carb was equal or better on the dyno and in the car. Worth every penny I spent.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:05 PM   #25
Grant Eldridge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re/ the issue of differences between carb cores- I had two carbs done five years back with identical jetting, hangers, rods by another "name" builder.
On the dyno, one made 6 hp more than the other on back to back pulls.
This year, I've sent a carb to Danny Ashley for updating and the latest improvements. Danny was great to deal with, spent time going over every detail on the phone and has a tremendous base of knowledge. He has a test engine he can setup the carb on to confirm idle speed, etc When the carb came back I didn't recognize it, looked like a new carb! Instructions and info on setup were supplied, even a spare rod clip and hanger screw! You could not ask for a nicer guy or for better service!
I'll be dyno testing it next month , but for sure expect the new carb will be easier to drive and use less fuel in the pits/return road as the old carb had all four barrels opening together, not progessive, and was easily loading up driving under light throttle except on the track. With the old carb, I had to complete my burnout to clean up the motor before a run....
Grant Eldridge
E/SA 6650
Grant Eldridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:10 AM   #26
eddie c

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Eldridge View Post
Re/ the issue of differences between carb cores- I had two carbs done five years back with identical jetting, hangers, rods by another "name" builder.
On the dyno, one made 6 hp more than the other on back to back pulls.
This year, I've sent a carb to Danny Ashley for updating and the latest improvements. Danny was great to deal with, spent time going over every detail on the phone and has a tremendous base of knowledge. He has a test engine he can setup the carb on to confirm idle speed, etc When the carb came back I didn't recognize it, looked like a new carb! Instructions and info on setup were supplied, even a spare rod clip and hanger screw! You could not ask for a nicer guy or for better service!
I'll be dyno testing it next month , but for sure expect the new carb will be easier to drive and use less fuel in the pits/return road as the old carb had all four barrels opening together, not progessive, and was easily loading up driving under light throttle except on the track. With the old carb, I had to complete my burnout to clean up the motor before a run....
Grant Eldridge
E/SA 6650
I for one would be interested to hear if the new changes netted any
more horsepower and torque . Also like you said, did the changes improve the driveability . ed
eddie c is offline   Reply With Quote