HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 02-26-2009, 08:12 PM   #1
Robert Swartz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default C-clip eliminators

Have a question about these. I've never done a set. Have heard they have a tendency to leak? Had someone raise an interesting question the other nite. A fellow that I'm purchasing some parts from on the east coast asked about using Ford ends on 10/12 bolts versus using c-clips. Said he's done this in the past and unlike c-clips, using a welded housing end and Ford bearings, they don't leak.

My question, IF you ensured that the correct and original housing width was retained, could you legally do this in stock eliminator? There would be no performance advantage. I can see a big safety advantage. I checked both the NHRA and IHRA rulebook and neither say you can't do something of this nature but they don't say you can, as well. Just trying to get as feel for what others do or may have done.
95 Achieva EF/SA, 78 Mustang II U/SA (work in progress) #354 stock
Robert Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:21 PM   #2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: C-clip eliminators

I am building a 94 Mustang stocker with a 8.8 Ford rear. This is a C clip style rear like a 10 or 12 bolt. I had the same question for my rear end man, he installed 9" style big bearing housing ends, we used set 20 bearings and big Ford bearing retainers. Very simple and clean installation with no leaks. I am glad I did not use the eliminator kit.
7423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:28 PM   #3
Mark Markow

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Swartz View Post
Have a question about these. I've never done a set. Have heard they have a tendency to leak? Had someone raise an interesting question the other nite. A fellow that I'm purchasing some parts from on the east coast asked about using Ford ends on 10/12 bolts versus using c-clips. Said he's done this in the past and unlike c-clips, using a welded housing end and Ford bearings, they don't leak.

My question, IF you ensured that the correct and original housing width was retained, could you legally do this in stock eliminator? There would be no performance advantage. I can see a big safety advantage. I checked both the NHRA and IHRA rulebook and neither say you can't do something of this nature but they don't say you can, as well. Just trying to get as feel for what others do or may have done.
yes as long as you retain the original width its perfectly legal but i would use the ends that stange and m/w make . they use the press on ford brg. but retain the gm patern and axle offset so you can even retain the stock brakes if you wanted to . we do this all the time . plus the big benefit is you can get the housing strait when you put the new ends on. .
Mark Markow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:32 PM   #4
partsbob67

Liked 37 Times in 10 Posts

use the weld on ends if you can. i used c-clip eliminators on mine... one side leaks one doesn't.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:02 PM   #5
rutledge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I used the Moser Ford ends on our camaro stocker (10 bolt) and am currently using the stock brakes. The weld on ends are definitely the way to go.

Jacob
rutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:38 PM   #6
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 699 Times in 203 Posts

Strange H-1143 bearing ends are made for the 10/12 bolt housing and take the GM backing plate. you have to bore the I.D. on the backing plate to fit the larger 3.150" bearing. .... These are the same ends they use on the 12 bolt replacement housings they sell. .....No leaks and you can use your factory brakes and aluminum drums. .....Tom
Old 02-27-2009, 06:46 AM   #7
al wisniewski

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We use the Ford end on all our c-clip style rears now. Don't know why but the c-clip elim. always seems to leak on the left side.
al wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:01 AM   #8
bobby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Never had a set of c-clip eliminators leak. Guess I do a pretty good job of using the right silicone to keep them from doing that?!

Now if you use the ends from a 73-77 Olds Cutlass, which use a set 9 bearing, they don't use c-clip. It's a press on bearing with a retainer plate. I use these on my 68 Firebird.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:37 AM   #9
trmnatr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

If you install them correct they will not leak.

Here is what i do. Take the block where it sits up against the rear and measure the recess where the factory bearing lip goes into the eliminator, if this is say for example .400" deep when you cut the factory lip off cut it so there is .300"-.350" going into the c-clip eliminator

What this does is properly locates the c-clip eliminators, works very well as i run them on the street with no leaking

If you cut the lip off like they say you rely on four 3/8" bolts to align the c-clip eliminator and stop it from walking

With the lip you have part of the rear centering everything up correctly and the c-clip eliminator will not walk and leak
trmnatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:27 PM   #10
Robert Swartz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Thank you. Gives me a range of options here. I am weighing toward using the welded ends. This gives us something to think about.

Robert Swartz
95 Achieva EF/SA, 78 Mustang II U/SA (work in progress) #354 stock
Robert Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote