HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-11-2009, 10:41 PM   #1
HarrisonTX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 302 Chevrolet?

Hello, I am new here... from Texas.

I have been gathering the parts for a 301/302 Chevrolet for a couple years. I finally gathered everything, and recently got all the machine work done. I have everything for the motor, except the camshaft. Im looking to go solid roller.

I have been told this website may have the advice im needing?

I dont know the exact head specs, or pistons info right now.

3'' stock crank small journal
327 Small Journal Block
PROCOMP H-beam rods
JE forged, dombed pistons
AFR 210 Eliminator Heads
Crower Solid Roller Lifters
Weiand Team-G intake

This is obviously not going to be a class motor, just something fun. When i get the specifics on my heads and pistons, is good cam advice avalible here?

This is going into a 260Z with a TKO500 transmission, and a 3.90 rear gear.
HarrisonTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:09 PM   #2
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts
Talking Re: 302 Chevrolet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonTX View Post

I have been gathering the parts for a 301/302 Chevrolet for a couple years. I finally gathered everything, and recently got all the machine work done. I have everything for the motor, except the camshaft. Im looking to go solid roller.

327 Small Journal Block
PROCOMP H-beam rods
AFR 210 Eliminator Heads
Weiand Team-G intake

This is obviously not going to be a class motor, just something fun. When i get the specifics on my heads and pistons, is good cam advice avalible here?

I think you should move this post to the S/SS Tech section for help with your combo.Welcome to the jungle.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:28 PM   #3
Chris "drooze" Wertman
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: 302 Chevrolet?

MONSTER combo ! I built almost the same motor but with fuelie heads and a flat tappet solid lifter cam 14:1 pistons, and gear drive, it was an absolute animal....one of my favorite engines thing would spin 10k and never skipped a beat, and I did beat on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonTX View Post

327 Small Journal Block
PROCOMP H-beam rods
AFR 210 Eliminator Heads
Weiand Team-G intake

Chris "drooze" Wertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:21 AM   #4
bill dedman
VIP Member

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Stock and Super Stock Tech ????

Re: 302 Chevrolet...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ed said, "I think you should move this post to the S/SS Tech section for help with your combo.Welcome to the jungle. "

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++

Ed... cut that out...

Last edited by bill dedman; 12-12-2009 at 01:29 AM.
bill dedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 02:48 PM   #5
mtkawboy

Liked 54 Times in 18 Posts

From running a Z/28 68 Camaro stocker in the early 80s I can tell you they need plenty deep valve reliefs and a whole lot more gear then you have, like something in the high 5 range, 3.90s aint going to cut it with a small motor. Times have changed though so maybe there are others who could give you more up to date advise
mtkawboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:37 PM   #6
rayfin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We ran a 331 with 488 gears and a 283 with 456 gears, both M-22 4 speed cars. The 331 had the "off road" Z-28 factory solid lifter cam. 525 lift and 330 advertised duration. Had to watch the tac REAL close. Get a rev limiter. Gotta have at least 411 gears. IT WILL BE FUN.

Last edited by rayfin; 12-22-2009 at 03:54 AM.
rayfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:00 PM   #7
Steve Williams

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

10,000 RPM's?
Steve Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:24 PM   #8
283nova

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

ive had sevral homebrewed 302's 283's bored .125 over. the one in my nova now ran mid 12's on street tires. its being refurbed with a crower solid roller and some h beam rods setof alluminum heads. and im switching to a 4 speed hoping for low 11's high 10's and 8500 shifts probably more.

ive built 3 301/302's and a wicked327 im a fan of the mini mouse's
283nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:18 PM   #9
Chris "drooze" Wertman
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yep....long story....My (now ex) father in law was going to build a "spinner" for his 71 vette, he had acquired all kinds of oddball stuff for it back in the early 70's a DZ marked 302 short block out of a 67 Z28, 4 webers one barrel per cyinder intake setup that looked like someone cast it in a backyard foundry but the machine work was good, the 14:1 pistons, and a bunch of other "treasures" he was going to scrap it....had it all piled outside the garage one day when we went over to visit, I was yound, maybe 24 I was drooling, I borrowed my uncles truck and loaded up. I took it all right down to a guy named Paul Wright here in Akron at "Powerhouse" he was well known for the SBC and valvetrains in particular...I said "I want a 10k rpm SBC" after looking at me oddly I said here....and we walked to the back of the truck, he said Ok a 302 no problem, but its worth more as a real 302 than you spitting it into pieces. Listed it in Hemmings and sold it. Took the money back and turned it over and said NOW build me one...and he did, I got a good penny for the short and all the best stuff I could get at a then 30% or so discount at Summit (had a friend whose wife worked there, then for execs it was at "cost" plus something.....first motor I ever had with titanium retainers. The webers lasted exactly 7 days on there before I took them off and sold the setup....what a pain in the arse, it was like synchronizng an 8 cyl motorcycle....but itd hit 10k and not blink....I think I spent as much time adjusting the valvetrain and checking things as I did running it.... Wow....what a monster. Sorry I ever sold it and the car it was in....didnt have enough coin then to put a "proper" rear set up in it...and with the M22 and straight cut gears and 2 disc clutch I was making little metal chunks out of rears after the 4th rear I parked it......sat in the Ex's grandmas garage till about 4 years ago when her Grandma died I went and brought it home finished it, tubbed it and put a "proper" rear in it....well a 9 inch fab setup....fun car, I picked a cam for response with the webers, and it would wind up like a ferrari. Just one of my favorites.....does anyone know if Paul Wright is still around ? I see the shop is there still but it looks closed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Williams View Post
10,000 RPM's?
Chris "drooze" Wertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:48 PM   #10
Steve Williams

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Spotting a bad valve spring must have been easy. A few 10,000 rpm shifts or launches and the valve spring didn't have no more spring to it.
Steve Williams is offline   Reply With Quote