HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-26-2018, 08:29 PM   #1
DailyDriverSst

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default travel limiters

I don't seem to see many options for travel limiters out there...most are off-road straps. I want to put something together to keep the 18" coil spring from taking the shock to max extension and/or popping the balljoints. Some adjustability would be nice, but I just don't see many options for a stock lower control arm.

Suggestions?
DailyDriverSst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 08:38 PM   #2
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts
Default Re: travel limiters

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyDriverSst View Post
I don't seem to see many options for travel limiters out there...most are off-road straps. I want to put something together to keep the 18" coil spring from taking the shock to max extension and/or popping the balljoints. Some adjustability would be nice, but I just don't see many options for a stock lower control arm.

Suggestions?
Fighting big wheel stands? What kind of car?
Old 08-28-2018, 08:57 PM   #3
DailyDriverSst

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
Fighting big wheel stands? What kind of car?
Not worried about the front end coming up - ~2000 pounds on the front axle (truck). More worried about the 18" coil springs topping out the front shocks and damaging them, and/or tearing up the ball joints. Want to tie up the lower arms just before full extension. Going with 18" 250 pound springs with a 1" packer on top to get back to factory ride height. Based on the spring datasheet, should give me about 8" of extension and 3" of compression from ride height before it falls out of pocket or coil binds.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:10 PM   #4
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 699 Times in 203 Posts

Limiters are not legal in stock ,so unless it's Super Stocker or a Bracket truck, your options are limited to making sure the "stock "suspension rubber bumpers keep you within your shocks travel limitations .
Old 08-29-2018, 05:45 PM   #5
DailyDriverSst

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Goldman View Post
Limiters are not legal in stock ,so unless it's Super Stocker or a Bracket truck, your options are limited to making sure the "stock "suspension rubber bumpers keep you within your shocks travel limitations .
Super Street. It's a stock frame rail/stock suspension truck so I am finding that I get better knowledge out of here than I do the 90 forums.

I don't believe there is a snubber for full droop, only full compression (and that one is gone and not even reproduced after 18 years)
Old 08-29-2018, 06:39 PM   #6
Hacksaw

Liked 276 Times in 151 Posts

There is usually a small flat area on the upper control arm or check where the original rubber bump stop was located. Directly under this will be a flat, meaty spot on the frame. Drill a 1/2" clearance hole and weld a 1/2" nut to the control arm. Buy some grade 8 hex bolts, 2 short and 2 long ( to suit ) and get a couple extra nuts to use as a jam nut. Just be careful that you locate the welded nuts so that the bolts will hit the frame where you want it to and Bob's your Uncle and Mary's your Aunt.
Hacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 08:19 AM   #7
Alan Nyhus
VIP Member

Liked 761 Times in 225 Posts

Energy Suspension makes a variety of bump stops. -Al

https://www.energysuspensionparts.co...sal_bump_stops
Old 08-30-2018, 09:20 PM   #8
DailyDriverSst

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

The issue I have is with limiting the lower control arm. The platform I am working on is known for ball joint failures, especially uppers. So I would rather limit the lower since it's the one that will have all the spring pressure against it. Ideally it should top out the shocks before getting to that point, but I don't want to pressure them being topped out if I can avoid it.

A fellow in Florida with the same platform truck (occasional highway drive, runs 5/9's) has an ART 3/8" steel cable ran from the sway bar tab, through the compression bump stop chassis mount, back to the sway bar tab. But it seems that the cable setups are hard to come by, I couldn't find that setup anywhere on ART's website.

Note sure if these photos will come through...dirty is my truck, shiny is the one in Florida. He has 2" drop lower's, so they look different but function equivelently.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:37 PM   #9
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 280 Times in 150 Posts

competition engineering part # 2025 might be something you could use--FED 387
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote