HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 12-06-2013, 12:57 PM   #11
Sean Marconette

Liked 160 Times in 56 Posts
Default Re: Questions for the stick guys

The data logger is more for tuning, than anything else. You can see when and for how long the clutch slides before locking up and what your base / CW are doing in high gear, and during shifts. It could save from breaking parts. When you are new at this, it can be quite helpful on what adjustments are needed. In my opinion a good investment.

Do you already have a transmission? If not make sure you order one that is setup for an input shaft speed sensor.

Sean
Sean Marconette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:30 AM   #12
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,212 Times in 249 Posts
Smile Re: Questions for the stick guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&S Racing View Post
At some point we plan on runing some type of data recorded. I was told it will let you know when the cluctch is needing adjustment before it's felt.
It is hard to chunk out the cash for a racepak or similar unit. At the very least find and old playback tach or get creative. I have even mounted an i phone in a spot to record the tach and gauges in a car with no playback.The feedback is very helpful. Also, I think there is more clutch damage done in the burnout box then on the track. Make sure you have a spotter to get you in the water properly. Have a hand signal process worked out. Sometimes a newbie stick racer will absolutely roast the clutch in the water box and the tires aren't turning.
Also, don't shift in the waterbox. Some do, but I have bought a lot of basketcase transmissions from racers that went 2-3 boom.
Get a real good understanding of the throwout bearing to finger clearance.
The fingers, levers, really move a lot. Especially when counterweight is involved. It was mentioned, but it is worth mentioning again. If the fingers touch the levers, the clutch will slip. The response of putting more clutch in to counteract the slip really makes it worse. Then the clutch hits too hard at first, then slips as the rpm goes up and the levers hit the throwout bearing. It is really like you were riding the clutch pedal, but you are not.

Don't assume your racing buddies that race automatics can help you. If they raced a stick in the 70's, god bless them, but it is a much better deal now. Find a current or recent stick racer mentor to help you check stuff out. I met one guy that had a brand new A Stick car. All good stuff, big money engine. Could not get down the track! He had asked his probracket racing buddies what tires to get. Their choice? Radials! Stuff like that can make your early experiences challenging.

Racing a stick is waaaaaay more fun than an automatic and the parts are decent. Spend money right on drivetrain up front though. Welcome to stick class racing!

Last edited by james schaechter; 12-08-2013 at 10:32 AM.
james schaechter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:26 PM   #13
J&S Racing

Liked 287 Times in 77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by james schaechter View Post
It is hard to chunk out the cash for a racepak or similar unit. At the very least find and old playback tach or get creative. I have even mounted an i phone in a spot to record the tach and gauges in a car with no playback.The feedback is very helpful. Also, I think there is more clutch damage done in the burnout box then on the track. Make sure you have a spotter to get you in the water properly. Have a hand signal process worked out. Sometimes a newbie stick racer will absolutely roast the clutch in the water box and the tires aren't turning.
Also, don't shift in the waterbox. Some do, but I have bought a lot of basketcase transmissions from racers that went 2-3 boom.
The fingers, levers, really move a lot. Especially when counterweight is involved. It was mentioned, but it is worth mentioning again. If the fingers touch the levers, the clutch will slip. The response of putting more clutch in to counteract the slip really makes it worse. Then the clutch hits too hard at first, then slips as the rpm goes up and the levers hit the throwout bearing. It is really like you were riding the clutch pedal, but you are not.

Don't assume your racing buddies that race automatics can help you. If they raced a stick in the 70's, god bless them, but it is a much better deal now. Find a current or recent stick racer mentor to help you check stuff out. I met one guy that had a brand new A Stick car. All good stuff, big money engine. Could not get down the track! He had asked his probracket racing buddies what tires to get. Their choice? Radials! Stuff like that can make your early experiences challenging.

Racing a stick is waaaaaay more fun than an automatic and the parts are decent. Spend money right on drivetrain up front though. Welcome to stick class racing!
Last year I started using a gopro in the old mans S/C dragster to watch tack,gauges and more important him, lol... It was amazing all the small things I was able to pick up and really turned things around for us. I absolutely plan on using it in the stocker!!
I also paid a lot of attention to how I was setting his tires in the water and how it affects the burn out.
After all the research I did watching stockers I think our plan is to stop about a tire roll to the edge of the water and when given the signal bring it to the waters edge and let her rip. I have seen some guys spin the tires then drive outta the box to do the burn out but to me it seems like that's a good way to sling water up into the wheel wells only to drip on the tires while staging. I have also seen a lot of guys not get the tires wet enough and struggle to get them spinning.
J&S Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #14
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,212 Times in 249 Posts

The big thing with the burnout. You need to get the tires wet and move to the edge. It is also important to have the rpm high enough and to snap the clutch quickly to shock the tires loose. Some try keeping the rpm low and easing the clutch out. They think it will be easier on things, but it will probably just slip the clutch instead. Also, you need to be quick to clutch it out of the water to keep the engine from pulling down below the rpm where the clutch will slip.

There are times to keep the rpm up and burn hard forward if there is some water ahead of the box and you want to get passed it with assurance the your tires are dry. Keeping the rpm up during this point keeps the clutch from slipping too much also.

It will take practice, just be careful and have fun!
Old 12-09-2013, 01:14 AM   #15
Paul Merolla

Liked 230 Times in 56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by james schaechter View Post
I learned this part the hard way this year...cost me a lot of frustration at the track and a few bucks, too. On the bright side, I will never make that mistake again!
As for the 2-step / line lock setup, I like it simple and did mine like this: Normally closed microswitch that opens when the clutch pedal is all the way up. That's to run the 2-step, and the red button on the shifter is for the line lock. I just had to learn to put my left foot flat on the floorboard after the launch or else I'd end up resting it on the clutch pedal and turning on the 2-step.
Also, Jim is dead on regarding the fun factor!
Paul Merolla is offline   Reply With Quote