HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-22-2011, 11:45 AM   #1
SSGT Mustang

Liked 203 Times in 53 Posts
Default New Tow Vehicle (Truck)

I'm getting ready to buy a new truck, which in part will be used to tow an enclosed trailer (28 feet) to Division 1 events. This may sound like a silly question, but here goes: Would a new F-150 with a tow package do the trick, or would I be wasting my money (with respect to using it as a tow vehicle)?

My wife will need to drive the truck regularly, that is why I was thinking of the F-150. But, if it won't tow worth a damn, then what's the point, right?! I had a 97 Ram 2500 Diesel that used to tow great, but we've since parted company. Plus, I can't imagine my wife driving around in a truck that size.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve
SSGT Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,707 Times in 853 Posts
Default Re: New Tow Vehicle (Truck)

I would seriously consider the Ecoboost V6 if you get the 3.73 rear and max trailer tow package which rates it to pull 11,500 or thereabouts. Others will scoff but if your total trailer/car is around 10K it will handle it, just don't expect much fuel mileage when towing. The bonus is your wife will do great with it and when not towing they are rated at 23MPG. The RV crowd seems to love them but if your 28footer runs down the road over 10K then I think you're in 2500 range and when you get there you're right back to diesel, with the Cummings being the best IMHO.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:23 PM   #3
Kevin McHugh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Steve,

I was in a similar situition. I had a F-150 , then bought a Super Stock car and 28' trailer. All the advice that I received was to move up to a F-250 diesel, which I did. I live in Pennsylvania and commute to NY via train, thus use it as my train/airport vehicle. The F-150 would fit into the parking garage, but the F-250 is too tall. My wife also uses it, but it is bigger. Does a great job with the towing/stopping with the trailer loaded, which was my concern with the F-150.

Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Good luck.

Kev
Kevin McHugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:32 PM   #4
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts

I think if I were in your position I would buy the wife a new reasonably car priced car and look for a good used 3/4 or 1 ton truck to pull with. I would not attempt to tow a 28ft tag trailer with any 1/2 ton truck. It may have the power to pull the trailer but the suspension and brakes will not do the job. Thats a pretty big investment going down the highway not to mention your personal safety.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:19 PM   #5
SSGT Mustang

Liked 203 Times in 53 Posts

Thanks guys.

These are all great points. I didn't even consider brakes and braking power, as well as the safety issues of towing with a smaller truck.

I looked at a 2000 F-350 diesel recently just for towing, but it had 150,000 miles on it. It was in pretty nice shape, but the mileage scared me, particularly since it had an automatic transmission. There are certainly plenty of other trucks around with fewer miles, but when the miles go down, the price goes up dramatically.

I loved the Cummins in the Dodge (and the leg room). The body just didn't stay together (doors were rusting, the underbody was rusting, etc.).

Thoughts?

Regards,

Steve
SSGT Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:26 PM   #6
Philip Saran

Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

You should not be scared away from a diesel truck with 150K on it, it is just
getting broken in at that point.

My 2004 F350 is just at 129K.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:35 PM   #7
Myron Piatek
VIP Member

Liked 132 Times in 48 Posts
Post Re: New Tow Vehicle (Truck)

Later model Dodge trucks have much better paint jobs and rust proofing. I'd suggest a 2003 - 2007 Dodge diesel, 3/4 or 1 ton. Check out some of the Dodge/Cummins forum classifieds. 2003 - early 2004 will get the best fuel mileage. There are at least one or two on this site.

I got a low mileage 2004.4 in 2005 from a retired gentleman so I was pretty sure it wan't abused. 104,000+ now and never a problem. Regular maintenence throughout.
Myron Piatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:05 PM   #8
C and W Racing

Liked 10 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGT Mustang View Post
Thanks guys.

These are all great points. I didn't even consider brakes and braking power, as well as the safety issues of towing with a smaller truck.

I looked at a 2000 F-350 diesel recently just for towing, but it had 150,000 miles on it. It was in pretty nice shape, but the mileage scared me, particularly since it had an automatic transmission. There are certainly plenty of other trucks around with fewer miles, but when the miles go down, the price goes up dramatically.

I loved the Cummins in the Dodge (and the leg room). The body just didn't stay together (doors were rusting, the underbody was rusting, etc.).
Thoughts?
Regards,

Steve
I would not have been scared of that truck. Had a 99 f-350 with and automatic that I had pulled a 48' living quarter trailer with and never had any problems. Traded it in on a 2003 F-350 that I still have today. Love my truck
Chuck
C and W Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:51 PM   #9
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,707 Times in 853 Posts

See my dually ad in the Race Rigs classified section....heck of a truck, I just have to go to an auto single rear truck.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:45 PM   #10
magnumv8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I purchased an '05 Ram 2500 Quad Cab SB Cummins that I let my wife drive back and forth to work (she grew to love it) because she was driving 35,000 miles a year....I only drive 2 miles to work....she feels safer in it, it is easier for her to get in and out of and I get to use it to tow with.....it has actually become our main transportation, carries 6 adults no problem and anything else we want......

D. L. Rambo
magnumv8 is offline   Reply With Quote