HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-18-2018, 12:41 PM   #101

Liked 117 Times in 50 Posts
Default Re: 2015 Mustang Ecoboost K/SA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Holt View Post
He makes them. You just have to call. But if that's the case, off road pipe and a tune, that's the way I would go.
Copy.

I also found this one, which will allow retention of the parking brake:

http://www.streetcarrfabrication.com/product/s550/
6130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:49 PM   #102
Jim Caughlin

Liked 693 Times in 208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDiv6 View Post
Like Alan said, it will not be a cheap Stocker.
Someone will take their street car, do a few mods, go under the index.

Then there will be the hardcore racer that will buy a one, strip everything out, build a killer engine, destroy the index and put it out of competition.

Lets not forget what happened to the Buick Grand Nationals...
If they will make this FWD conversion SS/GT legal, I will be more than happy to beat on the SS HP rating, I'd love to do it. Already have the chassis, just waiting permission to stick the motor in. I already requested the chance to make the change so I cold run the 2.3 single cam turbo motor for the same reason, just not having any luck getting NHRA permission. I will stay in SS/ES for the time being.

Jim Caughlin
SS 6019
Jim Caughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:04 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMACK View Post
Cheap way to build a Stocker ?....No

Easy way ? Not really if you plan to pull the interior out yourself to add a roll bar.

Philosophical debate ? Maybe...

...Or maybe the OP wants a Stocker he can drive to and from the track.

In the end, it's not a cheap Stocker
This is what I was thinking:

Used 2015 Mustang Ecoboosts are not nearly as hard to find as other less-expensive-ish Stocker candidates like a Pinto station wagon.

Being in the middle of the alphabet, it's faster than a lot of other less-expensive-ish Stocker candidates.

A used 2015 Mustang Ecoboost would not require a total body/paint/interior restoration, like a lot of older Stocker candidates would, just to have a suitable vehicle to start building a race car from.

I thought that I had spotted a combo that would not require a lot of work to get it to comfortably run under index. For me, I felt that would be enough- I don't intend to set any records or race any national events.

Anything M or faster is going to require a roll bar, and as some others have pointed out, it could be a good idea to install a roll bar even if not required to, simply because you may be racing against 170 mph "Stockers". So the work of pulling the seats, carpets, and some plastic trim panels, wasn't really a consideration. It also would give me access to be able to remove some of the sound-deadening materials while it was apart anyway.

And because it's a car that (at this point in time) appears to be capable of running under index on street tires with minimal modifications, it looked like an opportunity to skip the truck and trailer, which would make it a LOT less expensive than doing it with a truck and trailer. It would also be one less vehicle to maintain, and take up a lot less space at home.

It is not a philosophical debate- I have no desire to argue with anyone here. I have drag raced for many years, but have never class-raced before. I recognize that there is a lot of knowledge here- discussing this issue here seemed like a good way to be able to benefit from that knowledge.

But if there is the very real chance of a "Baby Jet" killing my action, then I would not want to waste my money pursuing it.

Last edited by 6130; 06-18-2018 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:28 PM   #104
Jim Caughlin

Liked 693 Times in 208 Posts

Do you want to win rounds or just be sub-index? There is a difference between the two. I would propose to you that when it comes to turbo combinations, a street legal car and a consistent bracket racer (which is what you need to win rounds) are likely two different animals.
Jim Caughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:42 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Caughlin View Post
Do you want to win rounds or just be sub-index? There is a difference between the two. I would propose to you that when it comes to turbo combinations, a street legal car and a consistent bracket racer (which is what you need to win rounds) are likely two different animals.
Yeah, that is a good point- It always seemed like street cars that were fast enough to get into my bracket were easy pickings, because their drivers generally had little experience and generally had little idea how to dial their cars.

I wasn't so much thinking along the lines of a street car that I could race- I was thinking along the lines of a race car that wouldn't need a truck and trailer. As a foot-brake driver, I almost always went rounds, and was often in the money. I'm older now, and I don't know if I'd still be able to do it as well, but it just sounded like it might have been a fun little retirement project.

Last edited by 6130; 06-18-2018 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:18 PM   #106
Jason Fuller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Caughlin View Post
I disagree. I run a Turbo car in bracket racing and its consistent and I can have a good light with it. It's a bit more delecate to stage with than a NA car but doable.

Last edited by Jason Fuller; 06-18-2018 at 02:21 PM.
Jason Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 02:00 AM   #107

Okay, another question- would a convertible Ecoboost Mustang make any more sense- there is no convertible version of the Cobra Jet.

The classification guide lists the convertible as being a 13.45 pound car, making it a natural K car, that I could add weight to run in L. The coupe is listed as a 12.78 pound car, making it a natural J car, so it would never be able to run in L- there will never be a "Baby Jet" in L.

Or is it just the fact that the "Baby Jet" would result in the engine's horsepower getting factored to the point that I wouldn't be able to afford to keep up regardless of what body I'm running it in?

Lol- I just noticed that there is no current record in L or L auto, and both of them have a 12.20 minimum.

Last edited by 6130; 06-19-2018 at 02:04 AM.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:45 AM   #108
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,732 Times in 418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6130 View Post
Okay, another question- would a convertible Ecoboost Mustang make any more sense- there is no convertible version of the Cobra Jet.
A convertible would be cool. There would be no advantage, because the rules are the same for both.
GUMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:43 AM   #109
Tom Johnston

Liked 22 Times in 6 Posts
Talking Re: 2015 Mustang Ecoboost K/SA?

No, running it in L would be bad very bad......really.

Tom Johnston STK #3177 L/SA '84 Cutlass 305

Last edited by Tom Johnston; 06-19-2018 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Class info
Tom Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:00 AM   #110
Jim Bailey

Liked 565 Times in 106 Posts
Wink Re: 2015 Mustang Ecoboost K/SA?

A quick history lesson; One of the first, maybe the very first, Factory Ford Cobra Jets -that started the whole Cobra Jet program is a black convertible. It's still running, and a very valuable car in the collector car circles. If you're interested in using it for your starting point, "rumor" has it that it "might" be bought for between 250- 350K. You might even contract him to do the conversion for you - Hey - Food for thought if you're really serious about going stocker racing …..
Jim Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote