HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 03-25-2019, 01:20 PM   #1
Jack Matyas
Live Reporter

Liked 1,578 Times in 322 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jack Matyas
Cool Gator Tales

Just when I thought I didn't need to go anymore they ( the NHRA ) started touting the 50th Edition of the Gatornationals.Inside me it was like - 'been there - done that'.But I signed up anyway .And had a super good time .

Sure - I was there when Big Daddy raced his car with the 'rubber band' front tires.And speaking of Garlits - this year racing a Camry -OMG -Really? And then getting his butte kicked in the first round by "Cha-Cha".

And I was in the pits when the King of Speed ran 301 MPH.And lets not forget Al Hoffman with his Cutlass Funny car who tried to set the Gainesville Pine Barrons on fire after going over the top end guard rail .But it struck me funny this year when I saw "the Sarge" sporting a regular haircut while walking around the pits without a ride - never thought I'd see the day !!

Sportsman stuff - there was this then unknown school teacher from New Jersey that won Stock in '77 with his pet Plymouth and then went on to win several more - good job Jerry.And I'll never get Woodrow out of my mind - who is one lucky SOB because he went boating in his Firebird and almost drowned in the mini-lake at the end of Gainesville Raceway . Also we have Vonnie Mills in her S/G car who wrecked in the final but made it back from the hospital in time to collect her trophy.And me - I showed up around '96 with guns drawn in my H/SA LT1 275hp '94 Firebird for class runoffs - and those poor '69 Camaros - all they had were knives.(ok-here come the haters )

All this and I've never been to the Garlits museum -planned to this year but ended up changing engines with Alex Cortezzo and then helping David Barton switch a head on his Showdown car - if you have never done this there sure are a lot of nuts and bolts on those Supercharged engines .

This year the NHRA decided to have the Stock/SS class runoffs at the 'baby gators' .Not their finest moment.Yes, I know they had a lot planned but watching wrapped Camrys' racing is not better than watching class runoffs - ok -maybe i'm a little biased.But they owe us one !!! ( boy am I going to pay !!)

I could go on and on but I'm sure many members have Gator memories and this is a great place to share them.Please do .........
Old 03-25-2019, 02:17 PM   #2
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,640 Times in 507 Posts
Default Re: Gator Tales

Jack,
I have many of the same memories. The gators is kind of my home race. I have been to most of them since about 1976. This is the first year that I could not attend. With the reduced quota there was just not enough room for all of us to be there that would have liked to. I have been lucky enough to win class there 3 different times in 3 different classes in the same car. Last year I did go some rounds in eliminator. Always a good time to catch up with some of the people that I only get to see a few times each year. Glad you had a good time.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:57 PM   #3
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,680 Times in 852 Posts
Default Re: Gator Tales

You may have missed his thread...

http://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=72465

Glad you enjoyed it Jack...yep, I saw Big shread some fan belts too...innovation somehow seems like it was bigger “back in the day”.
jmcarter is online now   Reply With Quote