HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-15-2007, 12:23 PM   #1
Ron Ortiz

Liked 255 Times in 87 Posts
Default Div II race rescheduled

Friends up in Cecil GA told me just awhile ago that high winds have forced the race to be rescheduled in May.
All they had to do was watch ANY weather TV station and know what was approaching. Why did'nt they run the race Saturday?

Ron Ortiz
U/SA whether to race or race the weather.

Old 04-15-2007, 02:17 PM   #2
Larry Sullivan

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

I can confirm the postponement. Don't have the details yet, they will be posted on DRC as soon as we get the final wrapup from NHRA. Our on-site reporter had a ten-hour drive ahead of him, so he's already on his way home and we're waiting for the official announcement.

- Larry
Larry Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 03:46 PM   #3
Chad Rhodes
VIP Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Ron, I know they did run 1st round of stock Sat afternoon. I'm just wondering why they didn't continue racing until the weather moved in

Chad Rhodes
STK 2113
www.rhodesmotorsports.net
Old 04-15-2007, 06:22 PM   #4
Ron Ortiz

Liked 255 Times in 87 Posts

Chad, there are probably alot of racers that were there that have that same question. But, you never know the full circumstances of any decision making.

Ron Ortiz
U/SA do I stay or let them go.

Old 04-15-2007, 07:21 PM   #5
Joe Pinkston

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm not a weather expert by any means, but the wind was picking up steadily the closer to dark it got on Saturday at SGMP. The last qualifying round for T/S was stopped for a brief rain shower, but they did dry the track and finished T/S and the last run for the alcohol cars. I think this was a good call by the Div 2 guys. I wasn't surprised by this call after the crash at Bradenton earlier this year. Ofcourse it didn't matter to me since I lost 1st Rd. of S/ST Saturday afternoon to Ron's friend Kevin MacNichol. Maybe there is a driving secret found by eating that beef jerky. I'll have to try it and see. LOL.

By the way Ron, I was also pitted beside another one of your friends, Truman Fields. It was a pleasure to meet him and being pitted next to him.

Joe Pinkston
2155 S/ST

Old 04-15-2007, 09:29 PM   #6
Kenny Wigington

Liked 60 Times in 12 Posts

And a tip o the cap to Craig Couris, for the .002 light he bestowed upon me, in rd 1 of stock.....

Gee, man, nice to meet you too !! J/K I get my own self in trouble enough. Good Luck at the completion date!

I hope they will replace that win light , on my side ! It looks like yours still works ?!

STK 2894
Old 04-15-2007, 10:54 PM   #7
Stewart Way

Liked 70 Times in 21 Posts

We were told the new dates were May 11-12. All fields are set. Our station said we were having 22 avg wind with gusts to 28 but we were a little shielded by the stands-suites. Past the 1/8 might have been more wind and forcast was for it to pick up as the day went. Good call.
Only had 25 SS cars. Around 55 Stockers. Over 80 SG and the same for SC. Around 450 total.

Old 04-16-2007, 03:52 PM   #8
esa2207

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Kenny,

Nice meeting you too and thanks for the kind words. On another note, I have never seen so much valuable racing time wasted in my life. Who decides on these morning start times of 12:00 noon on Friday and 10:00AM on Saturday anyway? What's wrong with 8:00AM when the air is cool?

Craig

esa2207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 04:34 PM   #9
Mike Mayhew
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The wind was blowing strong from the left to the right of the track.
There are solid stands approximatly 50 ft. high, ala Rockingham, on the left side of the track till about the eighth mile, blocking virtually all the strong wind.
My question, why not make it an eighth mile race ? We all had our tickets with eighth mile times. The .90 cars definatly would have needed a couple time runs. But we sat rain free on Sunday till 1pm till they called off the race. Would have been plenty of time for the .90 guys to have a couple shots. I have several friends that run the super gas association races, and they are mostly all run eight mile anyway. Wouldn't have been too hard to do.
Now, the reason there needs to be way more of an effort to get these races in is simply the price of fuel.
Lets assume that with only 3 classes having run first round there will be about 300 cars returning. Lets use a very low number of 200.00$ per car for towing fuel. Thats 60,000 $ in fuel money alone !!! Plus all of the other expenses.
I talked to several guys that thought an eighth mile race would have been fine.
Is it because IHRA did this earlier this year and it worked out well that the NHRA wouldn't consider it ? Ego ?
I don't know, but it's too expensive to tow to these things without thinking it over.

Mike ( madness & ) Mayhem

Mike Mayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 05:10 PM   #10
Duane Eiskant II

Liked 53 Times in 31 Posts

Hey MIke, its because most of the NHRA guys cant run 1/8.

Lil Duane