HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-27-2014, 11:02 AM   #1
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts
Angry OFFICIAL: Pacific Raceways For Sale

My fear is the Tree-Huggers and politicians get involved and the track is sold to a developer for new homes or a mall!

http://www.pacificraceways.com/index..._For_Sale.aspx

http://www.auburn-reporter.com/news/277274671.html
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 11:32 AM   #2
Jared Jordan

Liked 224 Times in 69 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jared Jordan
Default Re: OFFICIAL: Pacific Raceways For Sale

If only me and Powerball got along better.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:37 AM   #3
Harry 6674

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree. That's some pretty choice land. A developer would probably pay more for it then a track operator. Maybe it's too polluted to be used for residential. Lots of mysterious liquids dumped in that place over the years.
Harry 6674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 11:59 AM   #4
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts

I'm exactly half way between Pacific Raceways and Bremerton, but I still would love to see this track stay as a racing venue. With Spokane going back to IHRA, NHRA would have to take it's Nationals and the Lucas Oil Series out of Washington State without the facilities provided at Pacific.

One ace in the hole is the use of the road coarse by State and local police for pursuit training. We'll see how this plays out. The track has good car counts for the S/SS Combos and a lot of great bracket cars there too. It's no dead zone.

Dale
FireSale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 01:09 PM   #5
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 939 Times in 259 Posts

I certainly hope that if the track does sell, it continues as a race track. Pacific is the only track in the Northwest that I am aware of that has enough parking and pit space to host a NHRA National event, and with Sonoma so far away from the greater Seattle area, there would be NO nat`s in Div 6, while most other divisions have several.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:46 PM   #6
Geerhead55
VIP Member

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Cool Re: OFFICIAL: Pacific Raceways For Sale

I can remember standing on the starting line in '78 at a driver's meeting and signing a petition to keep the track open at that time as homes were closing in already. I'm surprised it has lasted this long. I'll keep my fingers crossed,, but I'm not holding my breath this time around. I would definitely hate to see it go away, being in "my back yard".
Danny Durham
Geerhead55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 04:15 PM   #7
Dave Noll

Liked 219 Times in 105 Posts

Definitely would hate to see it go to a developer. Though I'm east of the cascades these days (@ goathead central), I grew up just down the road from there. I know people have complained about the place being a dump & not worthy of a national event, I LOVE racing there.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:41 PM   #8
Tom P

Liked 216 Times in 87 Posts

Track would opened in 1960 and no houses were within earshot back then so they have all been built afterwards. The 1964 aerial pic shows just a few houses but the 1968 shows almost as many as current. http://www.historicaerials.com It's hardly a new noise nuisance, maybe just new people in those houses.

I think moving the nitro pits closer to the houses and cutting down 3/4 of the trees was a very bad idea. Turning the track end for end would have been a good idea but nothing became of that.
Tom P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 12:48 PM   #9
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts

Although I'm sure the folks in the area have been a pain for quite some time and it's getting to be old for the owners, this is about money and lots of it. That's several hundred acres of commercial zoned land. To convert it to housing wouldn't be the best return for an investor. The Soos Creek people always used the environmental impact of the track as an argument in trying to get it closed. I wonder how many of them keep track of their water use and read the labels on the stuff they dump on the nice green grass?

Disclaimer: Self professed hippie and long time member of the National Wildlife Federation. I compost my years waste and have a worm box for my kitchen scraps.

And a Super Stocker in the garage.

Dale
FireSale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 01:17 PM   #10
Carguy49
VIP Member

Liked 2,228 Times in 595 Posts

This saddens me, but I am not surprised. It is a matter of economics, and they are doing what they think is best. I am sure funding is a big issue for running a track as big as Pacific Raceways.

The 1st time I ran a car down the fabled track was in 1970. I still go there for many events as a spectator or helper for anyone needing it.

As long as I can remember there has been issues between the track and the property owners surrounding the track.

I won't hold my breath on this one, but I do hope it stays a racing facility for many years to come. We need one drag strip within this area and looks like the others are having issues as well. Ridge Motorsports Park near Shelton still doesn't have a drag strip (hopefully next year?). I have heard that Bremerton Raceway is possibly not going to be around much longer. That has been in the rumor mill for several years, but looks like the Port is taking over quickly with a new road next to the drag strip.

Like I said, I won't hold my breath, but these are decisions out of my hands (and ours), so let's hope for the best in this situation.