HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech

Old 08-11-2012, 01:52 PM   #31
joe cool

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Default Re: Towing with a 1/2 Suburban

I am retired but drive a set of doubles as a seasonal for extra money. Some of the stuff I see on the hyway scares me. I really do not like seeing how some of the rigs have to be fought to stay on the road.Sometimes when I pass I hope that they can keep it in their lane. I am as cheap as any racer out there,but I use an old diesel dually and a homemade 16 foot open trailer when I go to the races. Its the minimum in safety for me to put my family in.
Yes I do know how hard it is when the money isn't there, 2 weeks of day old bread from the store and Wendys ketchup and mustard for sandwiches so I could go to a Bracket finals.I lost first round.
Remember its not just you out there ,my grandkids and someones Mom and Dad are out there also. I think people were trying to help you ,I hope you understand the message.
joe cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:30 PM   #32
64 B-body

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The first DOT road check station you get stopped at will put out of service. They'll that take one look at what your hauling and that it's hooked to a half ton suburban and your toast. No matter what you do to the suburban it's still a half ton vehicle that was not designed to haul what you propose to do.
64 B-body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:16 AM   #33
Run to Rund

Liked 44 Times in 22 Posts

Frontal area and side area of the trailer will give the Suburban a lot of grief in any wind, and in terms of drag.

Look at tongue weight for a moment. For stability, you need between 10% and 15% of the trailer weight. That means 750-800 lb. minimum. Add that to whatever you have in the Suburban already, and compare to the rating of the rear axle and the tires. At the least, the rear will be nearly dragging the ground. Sooner or later, you will upgrade to a real tow vehicle. Please make it now. It is not about cost, it s about your life, and that of others on the road.

You could get a small u-haul trailer, etc. and pull it with the Suburban, if your stuff fits. Or, rent/lease/buy a tow vehicle.
Run to Rund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:59 AM   #34
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 279 Times in 149 Posts
Exclamation Re: Towing with a 1/2 Suburban

Give it up guys !!! Some people will keep asking the same question over and over until they get the "answer they want to hear" that does not mean that that answer is the best or correct answer merely it is the answer they are looking for. I just hope to God I'm nowhere this guy when he runs into problems trying to control his out of control Suburban /trailer combination---He is gonna do as he damn well pleases, face it.---FED 387
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:56 AM   #35
John Kissel

Liked 232 Times in 94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick lester View Post
Some of you have been a big help, the rest of you I didn't realize you started out as millionares to afford new toys and such. Everybody starts with a budget, unfort. mine is very low. Thanks for the "help", but I have to ask, when any of you started, did other classracers treat you this bad? Just had to ask. For now, I'm done with classracer, not f-ing worth it. Now you all can go back to crying about the CJs and DPs and COPOs.
Rick, if you are still doing the Suburban thing, send me a way to contact you as I have a few ideas for ya'.
John Kissel is offline   Reply With Quote