HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech

Old 04-13-2015, 01:40 PM   #11
Eric Merryfield

Liked 471 Times in 114 Posts
Smile Re: RV Tire recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Fazio View Post
Hahaa thanks for the advice guys. Yea I definitely want to replace them all don't worry! That sidewall blast was so loud I thought the driveshaft came up through the floor lol. Don't want to hear that again.
Hi Bobby. My take is the same as most. FMCA is a very nice plan, I got it while I was waiting for my Michelin Advantage Program to get set up directly. They also send you a nice magazine each month, so you can see what you would spend the lottery winnings on if you were so lucky. The moving city needed new skins two seasons ago, and the advantage program got me not only the best price I could on my Michelins, but also there are set labor and other addon prices that the shops use under that plan........I like it......wish the tires were cheap, but they are not...The cheap road is one best traveled by daredevils.

I also have transforce tires on the stacker, they get the job done just fine.

Go with the heaviest load rating tire you can get and you will not regret it.

Keeping the drama in the pits, and on the track is worth every cent you spend!

Still waiting on my 26 inch MT ET radials to ship from MT for the Gremlin, I think it might do a 1-2 inch wheelie.....ordered them 3/1....was thinking of a hans just in case it stood up on the rear bumper. I think you got the pro-drag radials, which I assume you are happy with.

Eric
Old 04-13-2015, 09:48 PM   #12
pmrphil

Liked 247 Times in 106 Posts
Default Re: RV Tire recommendation

Switched to Michelins on the motorhome and never had another tire problem/issue afterward. Well worth the extra money. When you consider peace of mind, they actually become less expensive.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:08 PM   #13
Mike Gray

Liked 496 Times in 133 Posts

Bobby, if you are using the factory trailer hitch on your mini, check it out thoroughly.
I had an 04 and while pulling a 20' trailer with quads and motorcycles the hitch broke.
The cross bar is welded to the side plates in shear and that's just what happened.
The factory welds were junk and the cross bar came lose from the side plates.
Note that this also included the receiver section with the chains and breakaway.
I was lucky not to cause a major accident on the freeway and Winnebago and Valley Hitch wouldn't cover the defect.
My 24 came from Winnebago with Michelin tires, very good but I think the motor home is only rated to tow 5,000.
Mike Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:41 PM   #14
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,030 Times in 269 Posts

It is relatively expensive, but most 8 lug trucks and motor homes with 16" wheels can step up to 19.5" wheels and tires. It gets you a 4500# single wheel rating, and a 4350# per wheel dual wheel rating. You can then buy good quality G rated 14 ply commercial truck tires for around $300 each, and leave the 16" tire blues behind. Doing just that to my Chevy 3500 Silverado right now. If you plan to keep your vehicle, it is worth it. The tires last much longer, and control heavy vehicles much better, for very little more than a super premium 16" tire. No matter what, you cannot make a 16" tire do what a 19.5" tire can do with ease.

Depending on the chassis/powertrain, you can get steel 19.5" x 6.75" 8 lug wheels that bolt on for less than $150 each. You can get aluminum for as little as $250 each. you don't need any adapters, they bolt right on.
Old 05-29-2015, 04:01 PM   #15
Bucky

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

All great suggestions. Remember if you go wider with the rear tires, you need to make sure you have space between them. If not they abrade each other going down the road and damage the side wall.
Hankook makes a decent and affordable RV tire that many have had good luck with.
And X2 on reinforcing the hitch. RV's usually come with a hitch that is rated for WAY less than what we pull.
If the rear is sagging, consider add on rear air bags. They helped on my class A.
Bucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 01:20 PM   #16
3275Hgas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys. My 22ft enclosed needs new tires so I'm doing some research. It currently has 205/75/15s but I'm considering stepping up to the next taller size. Take a look at this pic (trailer loaded) and let me know what size you think I can go with.
Thanks for your help.

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3it8s5mf.jpg
3275Hgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 10:48 PM   #17
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,030 Times in 269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3275Hgas View Post
Hi guys. My 22ft enclosed needs new tires so I'm doing some research. It currently has 205/75/15s but I'm considering stepping up to the next taller size. Take a look at this pic (trailer loaded) and let me know what size you think I can go with.
Thanks for your help.

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3it8s5mf.jpg
If it were mine, I'd change at least the hubs and go to 16" wheels, the tires are far better.