HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 12-06-2011, 07:43 PM   #81
Chad Rhodes
VIP Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Re: Is this legal?

this thread is a prime example of just how lost NHRA tech is, as a whole. Different interpretations in different divisions, companies advertising it as accepted, etc.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:43 PM   #82
Wade_Owens

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Rhodes View Post
this thread is a prime example of just how lost NHRA tech is, as a whole. Different interpretations in different divisions, companies advertising it as accepted, etc.
Chad, the problem is, all of the tech guys have different interpretations on what they read, same as we racers do. Gray areas are black for some and white for others....

Wade O
Wade_Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:14 PM   #83
Rob Petrie E395
VIP Member

Liked 219 Times in 79 Posts

I have this exact setup in the car I am building for stock and on my bracket car. What I did is I drilled the plates that originally were to be welded to the floorpan for bolts. I then made another set of plates to go on the inside of the car and bolted it in sandwitching the floorpan between the two plates. I have made hundreds of runs in my bracket car and not had any problem with it moving or breaking bolts. I called out to NHRA in california this morning and have not heard back yet. I just got off the phone with Scott from S&W a few min. ago. He says it legal and NHRA has seen it and knows about it. In any case I hope they way I did mine is ok as it is bolted in with no welding. But I guess we will see for sure if I ever get it done and to the track.
Rob Petrie E395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:03 PM   #84
Chris1529
VIP Member

Liked 56 Times in 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Petrie E395 View Post
I have this exact setup in the car I am building for stock and on my bracket car. What I did is I drilled the plates that originally were to be welded to the floorpan for bolts. I then made another set of plates to go on the inside of the car and bolted it in sandwitching the floorpan between the two plates. I have made hundreds of runs in my bracket car and not had any problem with it moving or breaking bolts. I called out to NHRA in california this morning and have not heard back yet. I just got off the phone with Scott from S&W a few min. ago. He says it legal and NHRA has seen it and knows about it. In any case I hope they way I did mine is ok as it is bolted in with no welding. But I guess we will see for sure if I ever get it done and to the track.
what about the tabs on the axle housing? Are they welded? I don't have one on my car. I am just asking.
Chris1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:49 PM   #85
Notch1320

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1529 View Post
what about the tabs on the axle housing? Are they welded? I don't have one on my car. I am just asking.
Good question! The links bolt on to the tabs. I will ask (Div 7, Pat) for clarification.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:39 PM   #86
Rob Petrie E395
VIP Member

Liked 219 Times in 79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1529 View Post
If you look down through this thread you will see a picture with a bracket that clamps around the axle tube. I have something similar to them.
Rob Petrie E395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:04 PM   #87
cicero819
VIP Member

Liked 67 Times in 29 Posts

Billy Nees and Mark Yacavonne are right on the money. Rear sway bar is really an anti-roll device in the first place, in other words "it's the same thing. It must be a bolt on. You could use Camaro Z28 or Pontiac Formula sway bars since they came with these cars from the factory. S&W kit just moves the sway bar away fro the rear end and moves it between the upper frame rails(for sure not stock). I would go with the Formulas bigger rear sway bar. Claude
cicero819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:44 PM   #88
Notch1320

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notch1320 View Post
Good question! The links bolt on to the tabs. I will ask (Div 7, Pat) for clarification.

Below is the question and answer from Pat (Div 7) concerning anti-roll bar end link tabs being welded to the rear end housing.

Pat,

One last question concerning anti roll bars.

My question is concerning the adjustable anti roll bar links that go from the bar to the rear end housing.

On the housing side, can the tabs for the links be welded on to the housing axle tubes?

The links bolt to these tabs.

Thanks, Shawn

Shawn,

It is acceptable to weld the tabs to the axle tubes. Which is something that could/should be clarified in the rulebook.

Pat Cvengros
Pacific Division Technical Director
(626) 250-2295