HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Competition Tech

Old 10-27-2010, 03:52 PM   #1
mike natoli

Liked 41 Times in 11 Posts
Question Titanium Valve < Spring Pressures

Taking advantage of running titanium valves does anyone have data of Valve Spring pressure reduction?
mike natoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:29 PM   #2
mike natoli

Liked 41 Times in 11 Posts
Lightbulb Re: Titanium Valve < Spring Pressures

Does anyone know were I can post this question and get some discussion. I checked the Corvette LS7 titanium valve specifcations and they are running .331" lift with 1.8 rockers total lift .590" , 101 lbs. spring pressure @ 1.95" installed height 310 lbs. @ 1.37" open using roller hydraulic lifters. I have found on a flat tappet mechanical cam with 1.5 rockers with 2.08 intake steel valves that I need around 150 closed - 450 open to allow the valve to open and close without float to around 7200 - 8200 rpm. I guess I'm just going to do it and find out as usual.
mike natoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:24 PM   #3
raceman14

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Titanium Valve < Spring Pressures

Mike,
Your question on valve springs, pretty much depends on the quality of the hydraulic roller lifter you are using and where it starts to lose ability to hold hydraulic pressure.

Most folks think once they are pumped up they stay that way but after many hours on the spin-tron, we learned they bleed pretty bad at high rpms. Most of the work was done for GM 604 Oval track crate engines but the theory applies to any hydraulic lifter.

I have some super nice PSI springs designed for the application along with matching roller hydraulics for .842 lifter bores & Chevy Tie bars. Set-up height is in the 1.850-2.050" / .600-.800" lift. This package is 125-150# on the seat depending on the set up height. This package is worth about 1000rpm and 15-20HP on a Stock 604. More cam and more head flow makes a greater difference.

It is a delicate balance kind like balancing a see-saw with the spring pressure on one end and the hydraulic lifter on the other. I can tell you that valvetrain stability is worth 10-20% RWHP increase on hydraulic lifter engine.
raceman14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:56 AM   #4
MontyF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceman14 View Post
Mike,

Most folks think once they are pumped up they stay that way but after many hours on the spin-tron, we learned they bleed pretty bad at high rpms. Most of the work was done for GM 604 Oval track crate engines but the theory applies to any hydraulic lifter.

It is a delicate balance kind like balancing a see-saw with the spring pressure on one end and the hydraulic lifter on the other. I can tell you that valvetrain stability is worth 10-20% RWHP increase on hydraulic lifter engine.
I have a few questions concerning what you found.

So according to your tests the issue is bleed down instead of pumping up?
Can this be avoided by limiting lifter plunger travel? I'd assume as the spring loses control of the valve train, so the lifter is unable to follow the cam, pump-up is still possible?
MontyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #5
James L Miller

Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts

You can calculate the change in spring RATE using the following formula:

w0=SQRT(k/m)

where w0 is the natural frequency of oscillation (valve float)
k=spring rate
m=mass of valve, part of the spring and retainer and lock.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damping