HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock

Old 03-05-2023, 10:20 PM   #1
202man

Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Default Initial stages of restoration of Hamburger SS/JA Challenger

does anyone have any recollection of a Hamburger Challenger SS/JA team car that was owned and campaigned by George Duane of N.J. I just bought the rolling chassis after it had been stored away since the early 80s . It was stripped of its engine and transmission many years ago . I am just in the initial stages of searching history and parts collecting . I have talked to George Duane regarding the car and got some interesting details . plans are to restore it as period correct . It was initially brown in color and had Duanes Sunoco on the doors , later it was painted white and blue Hamburger team colors . I am located in N.B. Canada
202man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 12:12 PM   #2
340Cuda
VIP Member

Liked 677 Times in 290 Posts
Default Re: Initial stages of restoration of Hamburger SS/JA Challen

I would see if you can get in touch with Ed or his son (David I think).

This is their current business...

https://www.hamburgerssuperchargers.com/
340Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 03:35 PM   #3
Charles Stewart

Liked 479 Times in 144 Posts

You may be familiar with this link below but just in case...
You can also try to be in touch with Tom Auger. He was a young driver for Ed when he was around 17 years old.
https://www.forebodiesonly.com/forum...lengers.27199/
https://garagehotrods.com/2019/04/26...-63-dodge-330/

Last edited by Charles Stewart; 03-06-2023 at 03:40 PM.
Charles Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 07:58 AM   #4
Richard Kay

Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts

Try emailing Neil (Red) Goldstein at reddy.goldstein@hotmail.com. He rad a Hamburger 340 Challenger with the Hamburger colors in Stock in the late 70’s around the same time as Tom Auger.
Old 03-08-2023, 07:51 PM   #5
202man

I have talked to Tom Auger before I knew who originally owned the car and he was not sure who owned it . after talking to another former hamburger team member , I was able to come up with George Duanes name . I talked to George and he told me about the car winning class at Pomona in 1978 and it apparently held some NHRA and IHRA records the same year . George also ran a different Challenger in SS/DA and SS/FA . The car I have was the SS/JA car . George raced out of Hillsborough N.J. and both his Challengers were painted with Duanes Sunoco on the doors but the SS /JA car was later painted Hamburger team colors . This car started life as a 70 Challenger T/A but was updated to appear as a 71 with the 71 taillights and grill and a shaker hood . when it raced at Pomona it was updated with a 74 grill and 74 taillight panel , it was taken back to 71 trim level later that year and sold to N.B. Canada shortly after .
Old 03-09-2023, 08:26 AM   #6
Big blocka

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Gary Reade of Fredericton N.B. was the person who bought it out of New Jersey. I believe Gary still lives in Fredericton.
Big blocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM   #7
202man

I talked to Gary Reed a couple times before I bought it to find out any details he had of it , he couldnt remember the guys name or a lot of other details due mostly that he bought the car from the guy 40 years ago , but he knew details about what part of NJ he lived in and that he owned a service station. Scott Spencer was a Hamburger team member and he came up with George Duanes name as a possible owner . I figured that where as George Duane was from N.J. that he probably raced a lot at Englishtown so I scoured the Englishtown memories facebook page and found a few pics of his cars ( before the SS/JA car was painted the Hamburger team colors ) .I posted the pics I found on an Ebody forum and a few weeks later George happened to see the post I put on and he responded . I was able to get his contact number and talked to him to verify details about the car .

Last edited by 202man; 03-09-2023 at 08:31 PM.
Old 03-14-2023, 04:16 PM   #8
prostockpete1

Liked 71 Times in 43 Posts

when you get to final stages after new paint & need original contingency decals I may have what you mite need for the finishing touch .. I have 9 large tubs of decals starting back to late 60.s ... I have sold alot of stuff to class racer reststoration projects ... prostockpete1@gmail.com
prostockpete1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 10:42 PM   #9
202man

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostockpete1 View Post
when you get to final stages after new paint & need original contingency decals I may have what you mite need for the finishing touch .. I have 9 large tubs of decals starting back to late 60.s ... I have sold alot of stuff to class racer reststoration projects ... prostockpete1@gmail.com
good , thanks, will keep that in mind
Old 03-19-2023, 03:21 PM   #10
Bill Rolik

Liked 47 Times in 9 Posts

I do have vivid memories of seeing George frequently at Englishtown, as well as when they would run Stock/SuperStock Cpmbo races at Island Dragway. I am thinking that when the car was ultimately painted in the Hamburger team colors, they switched to either the low compression 340 (72-73) or the 360 (74) to run in SS/LA. Great running car.

Bill Rolik
Bill Rolik is offline   Reply With Quote