HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-01-2012, 09:38 AM   #11
KRatcliff

Liked 502 Times in 135 Posts
Default Re: attention NHRA and IHRA Where have all the class racers

This is my fourth year and I would consider myself a new racer. I didn't get into it because I was all that interested in racing, but I did it to spend more time with my dad who races. The bug has bit me hard.

I can say with a bit of confidence that the new cars were coming out at the time I started and had created zero interest for me in choosing a car due to the expense. The route I chose was expensive enough.

There were some other barriers for me that were put at ease because of my teammates. The ability to put together a competitive car was made easier due to my dad's knowledge and experience. The learning curve for driving was certainly steep, but I cannot thank the Emmons enough for their patience.

Only speaking for myself, but I would say that I would have never taken to drag racing due to the expense alone if there weren't some other factors mentioned that played in my favor. I know of a couple of new drag racers that are getting very discouraged because of the struggles to be competitive and the overall costs. I don't see this changing anytime soon.
KRatcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:06 AM   #12
Randall Klein

Liked 317 Times in 66 Posts

Chew on this:

A wealthy contractor got the bug and bought a new Mustang; its been run a few times and its a dog...1 second off. Its been massaged twice at over $10K, and is at another shop right now. The owner has other issues as well, health, work.....but: I cannot imagine him going to the track at 7 or so, getting the car ready, making two time runs over a 8-10 hour period, leaving the track between, oh say, 5PM and 8PM, and then having a 6AM wake up call the next morning....a man of this stature will want to have some leisurely fun, a nice dinner out at a restuarant, at a normal eating hour and then a few refreshments

The fun meter is pretty low when you spend 10-12 hours for 2 runs, if that, and who of us haven't experienced the excitement of a 10PM time trial with dew on the windows and on the track....someone once said they are trying to put 10lbs of classes in a 5lb sack

Now, you may say, racing ain't for this guy, and your right...the question is where are new racers coming from, the entry level cost (discounting dime rockets), is too high to be competitive for the younger crowd, the older guys with deep pockets may be like the above contractor, not passionate enough to put up with the crap like we do....pit space with shin high grass or dirt about a mile from the action, fees for this and that, uneven tech, bad track prep, unfriendly track personnel, misfactored cars ruining your combo and on and on

Why do it? To paraphrase Robert Duvall in Apocolypse Now: " I love the sound of open headers in the morning "

Drag Racing: a disease for which there is no cure
Randall Klein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:33 AM   #13
Lyn Smith
VIP Member

Liked 847 Times in 158 Posts
Question Re: attention NHRA and IHRA Where have all the class racers

You guys missed a great one this last weekend at St Louis.Great track,weather.Didn't have to be there till friday,racing on saturday only a 6 round race.Less than 60 Stockers,and SSers????Also great cookies supplied by Div. 5 tech Dept.

Last edited by Lyn Smith; 10-01-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Lyn Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:56 AM   #14
BlueOval Ralph
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A lot of this right on, it's about seat time lets see 10 to 12 hour days for 24 seconds of seat time? What is the cost per second? I know several racers that have left Drag Racing for Sports Car racing just for a lot more seat time. Ask Terry Earwood about the seat time difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Klein View Post
Chew on this:

A wealthy contractor got the bug and bought a new Mustang; its been run a few times and its a dog...1 second off. Its been massaged twice at over $10K, and is at another shop right now. The owner has other issues as well, health, work.....but: I cannot imagine him going to the track at 7 or so, getting the car ready, making two time runs over a 8-10 hour period, leaving the track between, oh say, 5PM and 8PM, and then having a 6AM wake up call the next morning....a man of this stature will want to have some leisurely fun, a nice dinner out at a restuarant, at a normal eating hour and then a few refreshments

The fun meter is pretty low when you spend 10-12 hours for 2 runs, if that, and who of us haven't experienced the excitement of a 10PM time trial with dew on the windows and on the track....someone once said they are trying to put 10lbs of classes in a 5lb sack

Now, you may say, racing ain't for this guy, and your right...the question is where are new racers coming from, the entry level cost (discounting dime rockets), is too high to be competitive for the younger crowd, the older guys with deep pockets may be like the above contractor, not passionate enough to put up with the crap like we do....pit space with shin high grass or dirt about a mile from the action, fees for this and that, uneven tech, bad track prep, unfriendly track personnel, misfactored cars ruining your combo and on and on

Why do it? To paraphrase Robert Duvall in Apocolypse Now: " I love the sound of open headers in the morning "

Drag Racing: a disease for which there is no cure
BlueOval Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:22 PM   #15
Alex Denysenko

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRETV View Post
Alex,

Don't mean to correct you! But, Jeff Velde not me passed away! I read your post and I had to make sure I was still alive. LOL . Building a car as we speak! We'll be back out there. The economy and raising 4 kid's has slowed my program down. But it will get better! See you a Tony and the races.

Bret Velde
Oops sorry about that Bret, obviously I meant your uncle Jeff
Alex Denysenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:15 PM   #16
Wade Mahaffey

Liked 17 Times in 7 Posts

You know, it really is a shame that what we love just isn't important to the casual car guy anymore. With so much to entertain you on TV or the web, things that require effort go toward the bottom of the list. The only way to improve interest in class racing, is to make it cheaper $$$$ and create awareness. You need to promote and/or advertize your entertianment product to have it thrive. It's a real shame to look at the seats on thursday at a national event, They're empty!

You can't sell any food,T-shirts, etc to an empty seat. FREE ADMISSION on Wed-Thur and reap the profit from there. A portian of the fans will want to see the pros on Friday and pay at that time. Or if they want to go in the pits, they can pay a fee. Now you have introduced new folks that would not have paid to get in, and some will come back again. And maybe a few will want to try and compete. Just think of what it would do for the racer, racing in front of a big crowd like you made it to Sunday. I would think that would bring a few cars out from the garage as well. Although when I was racing (on track), I never saw the stands because I was fully focused on the task at hand!

Class racing needs a good shot in the arm to enhance interest momentum of the new cars, and to keep alive the old cars! This starts with a creative approach done by everyone that loves the sport. Take care of it....while we still have it....be progressive

As far as health goes....I ride a bicycle at the track...It's easier to park...gets through the crowd better....don't cost a nickel! Nuff said

Wade Mahaffey
Wade Mahaffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:58 PM   #17
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter

Liked 504 Times in 126 Posts

My son is 24 now. He has always helped me since I bought my SS car in 06. At first he wanted to turn his 70 Nova into a B/S car. After awhile of seeing me drown trying to build then maintain my car he said no way. He races dirt track now. He loves it runs every weekend. Local no travel and way cheaper than a stocker. He is putting the Nova back on the street. He is still trying to get me to switch to a LS engine to run GT. LOL
Ed Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:04 PM   #18
THE LEGEND
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I think it has to do with several factors.
1) The old Diehard Gearheads are leaving.
2) New Blood come on. Most new blood racers have a delay box in mind instead of a weight break.

3) I think the economy has finally caught up with the Diehard Gearheads too.

Lots of these racers would only attend 10-20 races a year, so racing was still in their budget somewhat, more than the local weekly bracket racer, or Big Buck racer.
THE LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:08 PM   #19
rickseeman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Here we go again with another "Why are we losing class racers" thread.

Do any of you people know how much money a young person makes?

If you are a great worker with a good job after rent, utilities, insurance, gas, cell phone bill, internet, food etc you might have $20 per week.

There is no "stock" anymore. The A/SA record is faster than "The Grump" & Sox & Martin pro stockers ran when I was young. That's right folks. Faster than the faster pro stockers in the country. Could you afford a pro stocker back then? No, and young people today can't afford a "stocker".
rickseeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:10 PM   #20
ALMACK
VIP Member

Liked 324 Times in 116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris3racing View Post
Jack, you just hit a button. Very few will take the time to teach a young person about our sport. Some just go try on their own but very few. The future of our sport is passing the history on to the next generations. Open up your shop to younger generations and teach them how to work on engines, set up a car and take it to the track. I enjoy working with my son and grandsons, 13 and 6. I have about 6 young men who come in the shop on week nights, after they get off work, and work on either the race car or on one of the classics. Three have engines on engine stands and are learning to build their own engines. You are correct take young people with you to the track, give them some small part to do at the track. Intoduce them to your old friends at the track

Don't forget to give that young gear head a ride around the pits in a open header class car !
I was interested in race cars before my free ride, but afterwards I was hooked !

This is my first season running in IHRA Stock, but it took me 30 years to get to do it, so cost is a big issue for alot of the younger gearheads.
Plus, for the same cost, alot of the younger guys can run heads up classes in the NMRA and NMCA without fear of going "too fast"...

Last edited by ALMACK; 10-01-2012 at 04:12 PM.
ALMACK is offline   Reply With Quote