HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-05-2015, 06:43 PM   #1
Myron Piatek
VIP Member

Liked 132 Times in 48 Posts
Question Valve guide & spring seats on Stock heads.

The rule book says that "Any valve spring permitted provided no modifications to head is performed."

It sounds like dual springs are allowed. But does that mean the guides and "step" on a Mopar small block head can't be modified anyway? (For different seals/inner springs/guide - retainer clearance.)

(I hate the rule wording where it sounds like you can use something, but you can't change anything to make it fit!)

Any insight here or via PM would be appreciated.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:31 PM   #2
ss3011

Liked 221 Times in 102 Posts
Default Re: Valve guide & spring seats on Stock heads.

That's a good question ! I thought you were not allowed to make the spring seat larger, but they have allowed you to modify the guide to install valve stem seals. I think you could make a case that any guide modification was to allow for those seals to be installed.
ss3011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:52 PM   #3
Dave Ribeiro
VIP Member

Liked 56 Times in 27 Posts

Myron,

Please check with your tech guy in Div 2. I don't think you can put bigger Dia springs in a stock head.. If your engine came with 1.440 dia. springs, you can't open the spring boss to run 1.550.. Just like you can't match ports to gasket openings, No-grinding at all ??? So, save time & money, check withyour Tech guy & he will help you out ... You are right about the rule book being vague ...Hope you are doing well...

Last edited by Dave Ribeiro; 01-05-2015 at 08:57 PM.
Dave Ribeiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:36 PM   #4
Myron Piatek
VIP Member

Post Re: Valve guide & spring seats on Stock heads.

I wasn't looking to put bigger springs in. But wondering about something that would modify/cut away the step, especially if dual springs were used. Can't go too big on diameters because of rocker interference. I'll direct my inquires to NHRA as well and hope for a "clear" answer..
Old 01-05-2015, 10:08 PM   #5
Paul Precht

Liked 223 Times in 88 Posts

I don't think removing the inner step is a problem, they don't want to see grossly oversize springs. The step is typically about .100" deep and before you remove it, see if it works to your advantage as coil bind won't be a problem with a stock cam lift.
Paul Precht is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:35 AM   #6
Bill Harris

Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Piatek View Post
The rule book says that "Any valve spring permitted provided no modifications to head is performed."

It sounds like dual springs are allowed. But does that mean the guides and "step" on a Mopar small block head can't be modified anyway? (For different seals/inner springs/guide - retainer clearance.)

I don't see where this is vague. It says no modifications. How is that subject to interpretation?
Bill Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:08 PM   #7
Myron Piatek
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
I don't see where this is vague. It says no modifications. How is that subject to interpretation?
What's the point of changing the rule to allow "any" valve spring if nothing is changed to accommodate "any" valve spring? (Within some structured reason, of course.) While there may be a way to incorporate some Frankenstein combinations within the letter of the rule, the creativity of it can lead to other questions of legallity, interpretation and expense.

I've seen simialr rule changes pop up which just confuse the situation. I may not go to dual springs that would "normally" require elimination of the step. But I have a good, otherwise legal, set of heads that happen to have had that step machined away by the previous owner. With the valve spring rule change, it would seem that a change allowing the use of the available spring options would make sense.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:03 PM   #8
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,453 Times in 541 Posts

Myron, have seen the step removed before when new guides are being installed on the cylinder heads. Your other option is to use a spring with a damper in lieu of a dual spring.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:29 PM   #9
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,427 Times in 1,952 Posts

Might want to try a beehive spring and a hard spring cup.
Larry Hill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 12:19 AM   #10
Myron Piatek
VIP Member

I did found a beehive spring I'd like to use. A standard spring with or without a damper wouldn't change anything. I'm just trying to get some sort of consistency as to what to expect in tech with the machined-off step - considering the rule change. Or if it's an "it depends on the tech guy". Hate to discard otherwise good heads if it's actually been allowed before.
I wish I remembered the person and configuration I saw with Chevy small block springs on a Mopar small block Stocker.

I've seen other similar rules discussed here allowing something new, but being unable to use it without doing posted illegal mods. The Edelbrock small block Mopar heads come to mind.

Last edited by Myron Piatek; 01-07-2015 at 12:23 AM.
Myron Piatek is offline   Reply With Quote