Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-09-2015, 08:01 PM   #11
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,042 Times in 274 Posts
Default Re: Connecting Rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUMP View Post
All of the COPO motors use Mahle pistons.
Call them and see how much it costs and how long it takes for a legal Stock Eliminator or Super Stock piston that they don't already make for an OE racing program (think old school traditional car, say a 1968 FE Ford piston). They're fine as a source for a piston they already make, such as a COPO piston.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:05 PM   #12
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl hinkson View Post
So far never had to wait for any Mahle pistons I have ordered and there prices seem to be pretty good as they come with rings on the Power Pack kits.
That's fine, for shelf stock parts.

Stock Eliminator and Super Stock pistons and rings are a completely different deal.

Stock Eliminator and Super Stock pistons for the old school traditional combinations are pretty much custom order one off parts, and nearly every engine builder has their own special ring package.
Old 01-10-2015, 01:42 AM   #13
carl hinkson

Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Roehrich View Post
That's fine, for shelf stock parts.

Stock Eliminator and Super Stock pistons and rings are a completely different deal.

Stock Eliminator and Super Stock pistons for the old school traditional combinations are pretty much custom order one off parts, and nearly every engine builder has their own special ring package.
Mahle now offers a 1MM 1MM 2MM ring pack you really have to stay on top of things!!!
carl hinkson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 05:47 AM   #14
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 677 Times in 261 Posts

Carl,
No matter if they make that ring package, it is not legal in stock. I think you missed that. I tried to get IHRA to approve a Crate Mtr piston that Mahle had available and It wouldn't pass muster on the rules. BTW: I think the hot ticket in SS is not a 1mm ring.
Old 01-10-2015, 03:24 PM   #15
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Quote:
Mahle now offers a 1MM 1MM 2MM ring pack you really have to stay on top of things!!!
I know that Carl.

However, as Adger said, Stock Eliminator pistons have to have the original size ring grooves, so, if it came with a 5/64", 5/64", 3/16" ring package from the OE, that's what the piston has to have. If it came with 1/16", 1/16", 3/16" ring grooves, that's what it has to have. Then you can do your own ring package from there. Wikle has his, Tilburg has his, Koppein has his, Luneack has his, Josey has his, Taylor has his, Bridges has his, I have mine, and so on. Some run thin rings and spacers, some run Dykes rings and spacers, some run back cut stock axial thickness rings.

And to begin with, the company making the piston has to make a piston and submit it for that combination to the NHRA tech department. It's a long, drawn out, tedious process, I've now had two new pistons approved, at my own expense. We talked to Mahle a couple of times about it, they weren't really interested, and their price was considerably higher than any of the other companies.

Super Stock rules are looser, but still, it's a custom piston for each combination, it requires that the top of the piston have a specific configuration, but each builder has his own ring package, uses a different wrist pin diameter and length, and often a different compression height, and Mahle has never shown any real interest in it.

I have talked to them several times about both, and I've bought several sets of Mahle pistons, both direct, and through distributors. They make a good product, but Stock Eliminator and Super Stock are outside their area of interest.
Old 01-10-2015, 04:04 PM   #16
carl hinkson

Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adger smith View Post
carl,
no matter if they make that ring package, it is not legal in stock. I think you missed that. I tried to get ihra to approve a crate mtr piston that mahle had available and it wouldn't pass muster on the rules. Btw: I think the hot ticket in ss is not a 1mm ring.
Gotcha!! Holy shyt its 2015 and 5/64 rings LOL
carl hinkson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 06:20 PM   #17
Bill Diehl

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Gotcha!! Holy shyt its 2015 and 5/64 rings LOL
I don't like it either....when you spend more on a ring package for your combo than you do for pistons? what's wrong with that picture?

But, I am the new kid on the block...can't do nothin' about it, I can't even get a perfectly good looking manifold approved...and I still have to get a rod for my stuff approved

which brings me to another subject....there seems to be,
A lot of bitching going on in the lifter bore thread, wonder if the rings got the same treatment

Last edited by Bill Diehl; 01-10-2015 at 06:23 PM.
Bill Diehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:20 AM   #18
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 677 Times in 261 Posts

Sorry, Carl I know It is 2015 and you are going to have to get up earlier to do a "gotcha" on me. NHRA is the one requiring the ring lands in the pistons to be stock width, even if they are wide.
FYI:
This is the PDF file NHRA has of the accepted pistons and their weights and dimensions.
http://www.nhra.com/userfiles/file/N...edProducts.pdf

There is no getting around the ring lands & Stocker class pistons with these part numbers being these sizes. Ring spacers can be run & the spacers can be milled so they have lateral gas ports. Creativity does exist in NHRA Stock Classes!