HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-07-2015, 01:01 AM   #11
Paul Precht

Liked 224 Times in 89 Posts
Default Re: Valve guide & spring seats on Stock heads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Piatek View Post
I did found a beehive spring I'd like to use. A standard spring with or without a damper wouldn't change anything. I'm just trying to get some sort of consistency as to what to expect in tech with the machined-off step - considering the rule change. Or if it's an "it depends on the tech guy". Hate to discard otherwise good heads if it's actually been allowed before.
I wish I remembered the person and configuration I saw with Chevy small block springs on a Mopar small block Stocker.

I've seen other similar rules discussed here allowing something new, but being unable to use it without doing posted illegal mods. The Edelbrock small block Mopar heads come to mind.
The small block Chrysler has a better foundation for springs than a small block Chev, not sure why anyone would do that, it would be a step backwards.
Paul Precht is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:27 AM   #12
TurboBuick6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You could machine a "Seat" to fill the void in the step, creating a flat surface for the spring, spring seat, ect. Basically a washer to just sit in the lower step and be flush with the upper step.
TurboBuick6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 12:49 PM   #13
Myron Piatek
VIP Member

Liked 132 Times in 48 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Valve guide & spring seats on Stock heads.

After more research and talking to some people "in the know", the heads may not be legal because the spring seats may have been opened up (unnecessarily) during the guide & step machining. My engine guy will double-check, but I'll be looking for another set.

I'll get use to interpreting the rules as time goes on. But that's part of what this forum is for. Thank you for the opinions and suggestions.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:44 PM   #14
njk53

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was always under the impression that any spring including a beehive spring can be used so as long as no machine work of any kind can be performed to make a particular spring fit. We are using a beehive style spring on our BBC that fits using the original factory machined seat.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:27 PM   #15
Myron Piatek
VIP Member

Liked 132 Times in 48 Posts
Post Re: Valve guide & spring seats on Stock heads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njk53 View Post
I was always under the impression that any spring including a beehive spring can be used so as long as no machine work of any kind can be performed to make a particular spring fit. We are using a beehive style spring on our BBC that fits using the original factory machined seat.
Yes, I'm under the impression that is as as you describe. I was just a little surprised that they allowed "any" spring but no macining at all. I was hoping to use the otherwise good set of heads. OEM Mopar spring seats do accept certain beehives very well.