Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-27-2021, 09:30 AM   #21
e vassar

Liked 238 Times in 93 Posts
Default Re: Can We Un-ring The Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUMP View Post
I know that this is a big concern for you. How prevalent do you really think it is?

Maybe random review of data by tech would help ease your mind?
I thought the thread was about roller rockers and sold lifters etc. But this is about out and out CHEATING.
You know what they say.... cheaters gonna cheat...so if you remove legal electronic boxes that can be modified to cheat.....then wouldn't the cheaters just use a smaller box well hidden?
e vassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 09:38 AM   #22
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,791 Times in 1,524 Posts

Quote:
I know that this is a big concern for you. How prevalent do you really think it is?

Maybe random review of data by tech would help ease your mind?
Daren, I was hoping that you would respond.
In answer to the first part of your question, I'll ask you a simple question, do you think that there are Racers taking advantage of the rules (cheating) when it comes to their engine combination? Do you think that certain Racers would "manipulate" a situation if it could give them an un-fair advantage over the competition?

I would have to say that a "random review" of a LOT of things both under the car and under the dash would "help ease my mind".

This IS the 21st century!

World's greatest Under-Achiever!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 12-27-2021, 09:46 AM   #23
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by e vassar View Post
I thought the thread was about roller rockers and sold lifters etc. But this is about out and out CHEATING.
Ya know, a long,long time ago, roll-out counters and delay boxes weren't "CHEATING". They were perfectly legal because NHRA didn't know what they were or that they even existed.

Old 12-27-2021, 09:49 AM   #24
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,456 Times in 1,957 Posts

Not knowing or accusing but to us uneducated or educated, it looks like a drive by wire “New” car would be the perfect weapon of choice. Can ECU’s follow a driveshaft curve like it follows a timing or fuel curve? I would say yes.

At the PRI show a few years ago I and about 60 to 80 more attended this informative ECU class and sales pitch. The list of benefits seemed endless, but the second and third benefit listed, as I remember, was “Run Tracing” and “Traction Control”!
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 09:52 AM   #25
rognelson777

Liked 132 Times in 72 Posts

ignition boxes. how about run stock ignition. points and condenser if that is what it came with. As a person that was considering getting in to stock racing a few years ago, after looking at the rules decided not to and all i needed was to build a motor and upgrade clutch.car run under index as it was setup but not much more. I find it interesting that you better have the correct hood on your car for the combination you run but you can run almost any ignition you want.
rognelson777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 12-27-2021, 10:44 AM   #26
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,732 Times in 418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
Daren, I was hoping that you would respond.
In answer to the first part of your question, I'll ask you a simple question, do you think that there are Racers taking advantage of the rules (cheating) when it comes to their engine combination?
You know that's a loaded question!! I think that the vast majority of racers would pass a teardown.

Quote:
Do you think that certain Racers would "manipulate" a situation if it could give them an un-fair advantage over the competition?
There are a lot of legal ways to manipulate a situation. They are open to every racer.

Quote:
I would have to say that a "random review" of a LOT of things both under the car and under the dash would "help ease my mind".
I am for that too. I think that it would be healthy for the class if Tech would take a look at racers data from time to time. I had no issue sharing all of my run data at Indy. To me, that makes a lot more sense than chasing wires.

Quote:
This IS the 21st century!
Yes it is! We live in a time where there is so much real-time information available to us that a cheater should be pretty easy to spot.

Personally, I still feel that I beat myself way too much to worry about the guy in the other lane!
Old 12-27-2021, 11:08 AM   #27
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Quote:
We live in a time where there is so much real-time information available to us that a cheater should be pretty easy to spot.
and yet there are few, if any that ever get "spotted"! Is this because there aren't any to "spot"? Is this because there's no-one out there to "spot" them? Do the people in charge of doing the "spotting" know how to use all of this "real-time information" to put it to good use? Or are they just turning a blind eye to it all because (in the grand scheme of things) we just don't matter?

Liked
Old 12-27-2021, 12:03 PM   #28
tavirace

Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts

To me it seems the carburetor rules are outdated, high end cars with replacement blocks aluminum heads and trick transmissions are then forced to put some junk on it that can barely be found from 50 years ago.It would bring more combinations into it.
tavirace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 12:26 PM   #29
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,453 Times in 1,694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tavirace View Post
To me it seems the carburetor rules are outdated, high end cars with replacement blocks aluminum heads and trick transmissions are then forced to put some junk on it that can barely be found from 50 years ago.It would bring more combinations into it.
Examples?
Old 12-27-2021, 12:34 PM   #30
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tavirace View Post
There is a choice as to which class you decide to run. If you run a carb class then you have to run the correct size and style carb. If you don’t like a carb then you can run a FI class. In super stock you can run a FI combo in an older style body in GT or FGT classes if you want to get away from the carb. Not sure anyone would be in favor of changing the carb rule in stock or SS. Personally I like my QJet.