Old 12-13-2021, 02:15 PM   #11
Carguy49
VIP Member

Liked 2,232 Times in 596 Posts
Default Re: Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340Cuda View Post
What about this?

Free 24/7 NHRA channel now available on 10 streaming platforms including Tubi, Roku

https://www.nhra.com/news/2021/free-...ding-tubi-roku
Thanks for posting this link. I guess I am a little behind the curve. I still miss the "Sunday, Sunday" back in the day. I am definitely old school.
Old 12-13-2021, 02:31 PM   #12
junior barns

Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Seems like the fan base isn't there like when first started. Stands look empty when scanning quick during competition! The cheers you hear on tv aren't real, they are added to sound like big crowd! Just my opinion. Love watching though!
junior barns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 04:20 PM   #13
KennyAnderson

Liked 234 Times in 80 Posts

Having been to and participating in.......a NPK's event I can say I love it! Reminds me of the old days of early Pro Mod and the "Outlaw" feel. The show and the fan interaction is great. That being said....given a dream budget.... I'm not sure I would participate on a regular basis only because these events are generally crash fests and it's not a matter of if but when I'm going to pile my stuff and myself up.

God Bless those guys and gals with the intestinal fortitude and bucks to chase it.
KennyAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 06:30 PM   #14
Rose Racing

Liked 141 Times in 55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyAnderson View Post
Having been to and participating in.......a NPK's event I can say I love it! Reminds me of the old days of early Pro Mod and the "Outlaw" feel. The show and the fan interaction is great. That being said....given a dream budget.... I'm not sure I would participate on a regular basis only because these events are generally crash fests and it's not a matter of if but when I'm going to pile my stuff and myself up.

God Bless those guys and gals with the intestinal fortitude and bucks to chase it.
Agreed I cant compete with anyone heads up and I also dont have wads of extra cash to wad my junk up and rebuild every other month.....
Rose Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 10:27 PM   #15
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 939 Times in 259 Posts

To me, personally, these type of events are more of a circus sideshow, than the type of racing that I like. As mentioned, breakage, crashes and aborted runs are par for the course. A couple of people that I know, took their small tire/no prep type cars to the recent +Street Car Supernationals" in Vegas. One crashed his small tire Mustang on his first 1/8th mile pass on the Wednesday, and there were so many other crashes and oildowns, that they cancelled the race, after dozens of cars were stuck in the staging lanes for hours. I just hope these freakshows don`t result in so many crashes , injuries, or potentially deaths, do not endanger the abilities of NHRA and dragstrips in general, to keep their doors open, due to insurance claims or lawsuits. JMO
Old 12-14-2021, 12:17 AM   #16
GTX JOHN
VIP Member

Liked 1,809 Times in 572 Posts

Back in the 60's and 70's = I was Vice President of LA Street Racers.
Often Weekends we would draw 25,000+ to watch. The Drama and
Interaction between Drivers was made it so entertaining to watch.
Every part of town had it's favorites and heros and rooted for them.
That made it wildly popular for everyone to watch.
Thousands of Dollars changed hands every week.
I made my living and paid for College with 4 days a week of racing.
Now we work an extra day a week just to pay for our racing =
never have a year that we come out ahead!

Last edited by GTX JOHN; 12-14-2021 at 12:28 AM.
GTX JOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 07:36 PM   #17
Tom P

Liked 218 Times in 89 Posts

Wow, John... we need more stories from those days! Big Willie was a hero. NoPrep stuff seems silly to me. I suppose i'm a fan of traction but YouTube Russian dash cam videos have shown me the appeal of crashes.
Tom P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 08:29 PM   #18
CMcAllister

Liked 746 Times in 206 Posts

"There's an a** for every seat"

Not my cup of tea. But if it helps parts manufacturers, chassis shops, engine builders, track owners and the people who participate, mazel tov

Last edited by CMcAllister; 12-14-2021 at 08:34 PM.
CMcAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 01:14 AM   #19
BigBlockBill

Liked 97 Times in 31 Posts

My issue with the no prep- outlaw- made for ewetoob racing is the bad name our sport is going to get when the 18 dozen people they allow all around the starting line start getting hurt and killed. Good Lord knows NHRA isn't perfect by any means but the safety they provide is second to none.

BBB
BigBlockBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 03:02 AM   #20
Stan Hawes

Liked 73 Times in 14 Posts

This is like racing in the 50' and 60's. Narrow airport runways, no guard rails. Ii raced in the 50's and 60's at Aurora Oregon airport, Balboa in Eugene Oregon, Portland when it was an old road in the Vanport area flood area, Scappose airport, The Newport, Oregon airport The Dalles Port, Washington airport across the river from the Dalles, Oregon,
Woodburn Drag Strip is a converted airport That became a drag strip before guard rails.There was Shelton Washington airport, Arlington Washington airport, When Seattle International Raceway opened they had a great show Of all the different types of car's that raced there, Go karts, sports cars, and motorcycles.
There were 64 funny car races, The fox hunt races when females got in free, when you came down the return road the fans threw beer cans at you. Bill Donner knew how to give the fans there moneys worth. He was also the lease holder at Portland International raceway ran by Steve Dembo. These tracks back then were a lot more fun becouse you built most every thing yourself.
If you see the lead disclaimer these "Street racers" are tightly controlled races with ambuanlce's, fire truck's ,and Discovery channels money. The drivers wear full safety equipment, and I bet they have better tech inspection than the NHRA. They are doing there best to end sportsman racing.
I am glad that I retired from owning and driving when I did. The main reasion I go now is the people, I have met people from all over the world and the NHRA can not take that away from me.
Remember when you wacke up and don't see dirt above you, IT'S A GOOD DAY

Last edited by Stan Hawes; 12-18-2021 at 10:28 AM. Reason: grammer
Stan Hawes is offline   Reply With Quote