HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Garage Tech

Old 05-21-2013, 09:39 AM   #1
Mack Reeves

Liked 45 Times in 14 Posts
Default Air Compressor

I have seen the air line thread and the filter dryer and they have been a lot of help to me. Now I'm goingto be in the market for a compressor... I do not need a fulltime use one but one that will handle some air tools and the ocassional tire pump up or ???? What I'm saying is what features do I need to look for???? I do have 230v in the shop if that's a consideration.... Thanks in advance for all your help.... Mack
Old 05-21-2013, 10:39 AM   #2
Painter

Liked 157 Times in 44 Posts
Default Re: Air Compressor

If at all possible put it outside for noise reasons. Don't forget a disconnect within sight of the motor. As for size-determine the largest you can afford, then get one at least twice that size. And then someday you will wish you had gotten a bigger one.
Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:24 AM   #3
Rob Petrie E395
VIP Member

Liked 219 Times in 79 Posts

Ingersoll Rand at Tractor supply. I got 2 of them and they have both been flawless for close to 10 years.
Rob Petrie E395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:45 PM   #4
Sean Marconette

Liked 160 Times in 56 Posts

Mack,

Whatever you do stay AS FAR AWAY from the oil less type as you can!! Your ears, and your neighbors will thank you! When looking at the unit ratings compare apples to apples. The higher the pressure the more capacity you will have to run air tools at a lower regulator pressure. This will also keep you working without the tank pressure falling below your regulator pressure as quickly. Its like a trailer get the biggest you can afford and you will not be sorry.

The more storage capacity that you have, you will be able to control the moisure better. This allows the hot compressed air time to cool and the moisture to condense in the tank. Otherwise the hot compressed air will carry the moisture out of the tank and through your air tools.

As for features:
  • I would make sure it has a bleed valve. This is located at the compressor. It removes the pressure to allow easier starts (Unloaded starts, less amperage used)
  • Cooling fins on the compressor discharge line.
  • I prefer uprights for shops and garages. (Smaller Footprint)
  • 208-240 VAC
  • A single compressor should be fine, or step up to a multistage if you want to spend more.
  • No smaller than a 60 gal tank.
  • Oil sightglass on compressor should be standard.
  • Harbor Freight sells 50' lengths of 5/8" Goodyear air hose. With one of the 20% off coupons you cannot get a better price for a good hose.
Depending on how your shop is wired, a plug is sufficient. The compressor does not have to be hard wired. That way if the air compressor is not in use, a small mig can use the same outlet. You would need to verify the amp rating for each device, to safely do that.

Good luck
Sean

Last edited by Sean Marconette; 05-21-2013 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Changed voltage
Sean Marconette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:01 PM   #5
Ronnie Smith Jr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks again to Sean for giving me some pointers. When you are in the market for the accessories such as air lines and hose reels, I searched for some time to find what I thought would be the most beneficial and cost effective - not the cheapest route.

For the Rapid Air system - see the link for the price. Best around, even better than the company, Eastwood, Autobody Mart and Amazon. Plus free shipping.

http://www.sears.com/rapid-air-rapid...1&blockType=G1

Because I wanted 3 air stations around the garage, I went to the company and purchased the individual parts needed to complete the air stations in the manner I wanted.

http://www.rapidairproducts.com/stor...2&cat=Rapidair

Finally, I wanted a nice air hose reel, quality, rubber line, etc, etc. This is what I found.

http://www.amazon.com/GOODYEAR-46731...=air+hose+reel

I have to say that I am satisfied to this point with the all of the products, installation and quality of the pieces. The Rapid Air system went together faster than I imagined. It was only time consuming because I wanted it to have the custom look. The people at Rapid Air when I called about a couple of pieces couldn't have been nicer and more friendly. The hose reel is heavy-duty. You will have to buy a whip hose to connect from the air station to the hose reel or fab one up out of pipe. I took the easy route and bought the preassembled whip hose with a spring and swivel on the end for longevity.

FWIW

Ronnie
Ronnie Smith Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:42 PM   #6
Mack Reeves

Liked 45 Times in 14 Posts

Thanks for all the information.. This is exactly what I was looking for.... this will help me make the right decision.... Thanks again....... Mack