HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 09-06-2018, 10:40 AM   #41
Jim Parsons

Liked 128 Times in 23 Posts
Default Re: Lane Choice

Not sure if others have experienced games people play with the coin flips like me but here are just a few I recall over the years.
  • A well respected, so I thought veteran stick shift Camaro racer who refused to accept his loosing coin flip saying I hadn’t shown him what side of my quarter was up
  • The guy who says he doesn’t have a lane choice but then rushes up to take one
  • The guys who say he has no lane choice until you pick one then he wants to flip. For this reason I almost always insist on a flip.
  • Back in the day at Bristol a MOPAR factory sponsored racer taking my lane after losing the flip. I have been told they had classes on how to get in competitors heads with things like this.
  • Or the brash guy who says he don’t need a coin flip as he’s going to beat you a## regardless
As long as I have been racing I’m still amazed how the gamesmanship is sometimes more important than their integrity and reputation.
My 2 cents
Jim
Jim Parsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 06:37 PM   #42
Adub464Q

Liked 372 Times in 73 Posts

I am sure we all have preferences, but at the end of the day if you think you are going to lose because of a lane choice then there are other issues in your program.

I CAN think of a particular instance at Epping this year where the left lane was absolute garbage for most of the round. In that case, lane choice actually was critical because everyone was blowing the tires off. But thats a rare occurrence.

My favorite coin flip story happened last year at Pomona. I raced Bernie Cunningham and let's just say his coin is very colorful and got an instant laugh from me. That's how coin flips should be done.
Adub464Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 06:58 PM   #43
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,582 Times in 1,279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrel Goheen View Post
My opponent always has lane choice. I came to race, not play coin toss etc.
I like your approach....well done...
MR DERBY CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 07:06 PM   #44
Bruce Noland
VIP Member

Liked 444 Times in 145 Posts

The first round of eliminations at the Gators can change a few minds about giving up lane choice.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:29 PM   #45
T Pogue

Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts

I always asked my opponent which lane they wanted because I found out a long time ago I could lose in either lane.
T Pogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 07:32 PM   #46
Todd Hoven
VIP Member

Liked 720 Times in 151 Posts

I was there when it happend. It seemed like a little gamesmanship to
me. The coin was flipped and the lanes were chosen afterwards. In the end it didn’t matter. After the round, the starter asked the tower for an answer to the question on lane choice and the reply was fastest time of the previous round gets the choice. Maybe Mopar should set the rule as they see fit, and put it writing. They are the ones footing the bill for the race.

When the track is questionable, and it’s tough to get a car down a bad lane the choice is important. If the track is fine, I’ll tell people what lane I like and if they want it too then we flip for it. No big deal.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:01 PM   #47
David Barton
Sponsor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lane choice in the SS/AH race at Indy has been decided by the quicker car for many years. I know because I have personally raced the class from 2000 to 2014. The Hemi Shootout at Indy is based on performance, that's the reason why it's so exciting. It's the one chance we have to put down the shoe polish. Why anyone would want to take away the performance aspect of the class is beyond me.

Lane choice is very important at times because the track can really turn to garbage in a hurry. For those of you that don't need to worry about lane choice obviously don't have a car that can overpower the track.
David Barton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 08:03 PM   #48
1matcoman

Liked 277 Times in 110 Posts
Wink Re: Lane Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Parsons View Post
The guys who say he has no lane choice until you pick one then he wants to flip.
There was a guy at the old Houston track who did that all the time! I raced him about a half dozen times and NEVER beat him. Guess it worked..................
1matcoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:16 PM   #49
Spyphish

Liked 662 Times in 174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadaniels1517 View Post

Jealousy seems to play a big role in this class and it is unfortunate.

Thanks

JEALOUSY!!!! Wrong word, boy you done "kicked a skunk" as we say in Louisiana. There is a LOT that plays a big role in this class (PA) and it is VERY unfortunate. For a decade I have raced you guys with this head deal. You should think about calling yourself "Don Corleone Racing". Take some of the $60k in winnings and get some coco butter. Rub those scars right out. When I get home I will post the NHRA letter telling me NO CAN DO. Of course, probably be kicked out, banned from CR or hemi horse head in my bed by then. I am done. 161.11 with the steering in the motor. Stupid PS If you ain't got one of these cars, you can't hate on me. An old/tired Stephen Lee Hebert SS/AH 403H
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mad.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	227.6 KB
ID:	47289  

Last edited by Spyphish; 09-07-2018 at 08:49 PM.
Spyphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 11:03 PM   #50
killintime6968

Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts

I too have always given my opponent lane choice, as I can lose in either lane. But their has been many times that has given myself the win because they have become over confident and overpowered the track or red lit.. It shows that you can never under estimate the sitting duck. LOL
killintime6968 is offline   Reply With Quote