HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 11-08-2018, 10:50 AM   #1
Ken Miele
Live Reporter

Liked 13,006 Times in 1,223 Posts
Default TruSTART GAINS MOMENTUM WITH ACCUTIME

Below is a press release about TruSTART and how its growing in the bracket racing community. Is this the future for NHRA also, what do you think.

TruSTART GAINS MOMENTUM WITH ACCUTIME

TruSTART, the Worst Red, was introduced to big buck bracket racing by Bob Brockmeyer of Compulink, Peter Biondo, Kyle Seipel, and Jeff Foster at the 2016 Spring Fling Million Vegas event. For handicap drag racing, the system awards the lesser of two red-lights the win rather than the first red-light. With the response overwhelmingly positive, over 50 tracks around the country utilizing the Compulink timing system already jumped on board with this new feature, as well as it being utilized by many of the NHRA Summit ET Finals in the past three years.

For the past few months, Rusty Crawford from Accutime Timing Systems and Bob Brockmeyer have been talking about the possibility of Accutime utilizing the feature in their timing systems. “From the start, Peter Biondo, Kyle Seipel and myself have believed that TruSTART is great for the sport of handicapped drag racing,” stated Brockmeyer. “To continue our vision, it made sense to team up with Accutime, licensing it for use on their systems so that it becomes more the nationwide standard.”

“I’ve always enjoyed being the faster car and I still do.” said Biondo, winner of a number of big races in his career. “You can see the finish line play out better and that will never change. I just never understood why there should also be that disadvantage on the tree if the slower car went red and lost to the faster car with a worst red-light. I was happy to hear that Rusty and Accutime shared in this vision.*This is a huge step in making it a nationwide timing system staple.”

Compulink and Accutime combine to supply timing systems to over 80-percent of the country’s drag strips and both are accomplished racers themselves. Brockmeyer dominated the Super Pro classes at Bandimere Speedway in Colorado in the early 80’s while Crawford also won many high dollar bracket races himself before he started Accutime Timing Systems.

Crawford is a big believer in this Worst Red technology.*“I never liked the fact that the slower car always had more pressure*when shooting*for a good reaction time, yet at the same time*had to*keep it green or the race would be over regardless if the quicker car went red worse,” he said. “It’s been long overdue and I look forward to offering it*within my Accutime operating system*to all of my race tracks.”

With the news of Accutime acquiring this feature, TruSTART/Worst Red is bound to more easily spread nationwide. TruSTART has been well received by racers and tracks that utilize it.
Ken Miele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:07 AM   #2
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,866 Times in 640 Posts
Default Re: TruSTART GAINS MOMENTUM WITH ACCUTIME

I got to admit I didn't care much at first but it's growing on me. I don't like change much but when you think about it I would say it makes sense. In a double breakout situation we don't penalize the first breakout, which is the first car to the stripe but rather it's the worst breakout that loses.
Liked
Old 11-08-2018, 11:50 AM   #3
Bill Bagley

Liked 31 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HR9121 View Post
I got to admit I didn't care much at first but it's growing on me. I don't like change much but when you think about it I would say it makes sense. In a double breakout situation we don't penalize the first breakout, which is the first car to the stripe but rather it's the worst breakout that loses.
I had the same initial response but became an advocate for it after having thought it through. I look at it as a technological advancement that should be utilized -IF- it creates a more level playing field, and I believe it does just that ... reduces the number of challenges associated with running a slower package by 1.
Bill Bagley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:26 PM   #4
Dave Gantz

Liked 223 Times in 118 Posts

They should change the wording of their statement, removing the reference to "nationwide", and have it say, "international".
Dave Gantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:37 PM   #5
ALMACK
VIP Member

Liked 324 Times in 116 Posts

As a racer that is the first to leave 85 % of the time, I love the idea

Last edited by ALMACK; 11-08-2018 at 12:40 PM.
ALMACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 11-08-2018, 01:06 PM   #6
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts

It drives spectators crazy with the first cars light going green then red when the second car gets the go signal. No issues with it as a racer. Bremerton had it going all of last year.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:12 PM   #7
Mike Jones
VIP Member

Liked 660 Times in 283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMACK View Post
X2
I also think that during qualifying, we should start based on our index.
Its a better visual for the fan.and more realistic for the racers.
Mike

Last edited by Mike Jones; 11-08-2018 at 10:11 PM.
Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:25 PM   #8
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,447 Times in 1,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMACK View Post
I here ya' Alan, but that's not the way to sell it. There will be just as many on the other side of that one.

Here's a point to consider.
Several years back, some friends of mine built fast cars like in A-B-C , etc.
Of course the race would play out in front of them, but also they had the first red light deal in their favor.
Today, it's a different story with the FX cars all over the place (8 and 9 seconds)
I wonder how some of them feel about this. I'm sure we'll hear from some of them before this thread is all played out.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:13 PM   #9
Darrel Goheen

Liked 70 Times in 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HR9121 View Post
In a double breakout situation we don't penalize the first breakout, which is the first car to the stripe but rather it's the worst breakout that loses.
I've never truly understood how the break out rule came about. Why isn't the best package the winner? Would that help with the excessive braking issue?

Last edited by Darrel Goheen; 11-08-2018 at 02:57 PM.
Darrel Goheen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:28 PM   #10
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,447 Times in 1,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrel Goheen View Post
I've never truly understood how the break out rule came about. Why isn't the best package the winner?
Because they had breakouts since the 60's. Long before r.t.'s became available.